Click for JetForums Click for YF Listing Service Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Mulder Click for Abeking

Ireland to Maine

Discussion in 'Marinas & Waypoints' started by amb10s, Apr 10, 2020.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. amb10s

amb10s New Member

Thanks for the suggestion!
  2. amb10s

amb10s New Member

Thanks so much - having your suggestions is as important as having spare parts .........
  3. jsschieff

jsschieff Senior Member

You might find the MVDirona.com blog informative -- the owners James and James and Jennifer Hamilton have taken their Nordhavn 52 around the globe and underwent a fairly harrowing transatlantic trip from west to east a few years ago. It's a terrific blog -- been following it for years. They are supremely competent people, and very thorough tourists wherever they stop.
  4. mapism

mapism Senior Member

I tend to agree with the previous suggestions to ship the thing.
    Not that a N62 can't handle the passage, but are you sure you want to?
    As I once heard from someone who made quite a few, crossing oceans by boat is boring at best, and scary at worst.
    In a sense, it's precisely because life is meant to be lived (and is too short!), that I'd rather not "waste" it surrounded by the same landscape for weeks, if you see what I mean.

In your boots, I'd rather take the opportunity to explore some other interesting places, of which there's plenty, while the boat is on this side of the Pond.
    Depending also on your preferences, you might consider circumnavigating the UK, or also reach the Baltic Sea.
    And last but not least, go down to the Med, where you could easily spend three years and still have just scratched the surface of what is worth seeing.

Anyhow, whatever your choice will be, all the best.
    The N62 was a great boat, imho still better than their current models in the same size range, and I'm sure you'll love her.
  5. amb10s

amb10s New Member

Thanks for the info! I will check it out.
  6. amb10s

amb10s New Member

Thanks so much!
  7. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I would put at least 50 to 100 hours on the boat before attempting the crossing. I ve seen so many issues on recently surveyed boats... and indeed your first hurdle will be for your insurance to sign off.

A trawler is VERY different from a sailing cat...
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Can't disagree with you about issues on recently surveyed boats, but I disagree about warming it up with 100 hours of cruising in circles. That's almost 1/3 of their transit. Murphy's law pretty much precludes them breaking down close to help no matter where they're cruising so they might as well have it happen along the transit. At least they won't have wasted the fuel. Also if I break down, have spares and am able to fix it, I'd prefer it to be far away from any coastline I might wash up on while I'm making the repair. It does reemphasize my suggestion of running with another boat though if possible. It also gives me another thought about the longer southern route. If they did break down would they want to be in the northern Atlantic with it's current and wind pushing them east and the weather up there or would they want to be down in the warmer waters and being pushed westerly. By Ken's calculations the first leg would be your shake down cruise, and they could always turn east should they need anything like a yard or medical evac. You know, were it me, I think I might leave that choice up to whether I was cruising with another boat. Southern if alone, northern if with another boat and they'd prefer the shorter route. Especially since the OP said money and time weren't a factor.
  9. Oscarvan

Oscarvan Senior Member

10. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

11. maldwin

maldwin Senior Member

The DIRONA blog is very well done, and will give you a lot of very good advice. A good shakedown is definitely worthwhile, as I bought an eight year old lightly used 43 foot Nordhavn, surveyed her successfully, performed the survey recommendations and more , then ran the boat to Maine from Florida with professional crew, and had the most difficult trip of my life. The boat is now fine, but she needed that shakedown, and I am very glad I was within 100miles of the coast at all times.
  12. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

That's right. Cowboy up and inhale the experience. Oh, and hire a mechanic as a crew member for the trip that can take a watch and also watch the gear.
  13. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

Ahh, but progressive dinners as they pass each other along the way...
  14. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

I'd definitely do a couple local shake downs over there before disembarking for the stretch...shake downs with lots of time in the ER and Lazz with flashlight and heat gun. Even if those shake downs are used for positioning for the launch.
  15. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I wouldn't take that crossing without 4 people that can stand a watch. I've done many overnight/long trips (nothing of this many days non stop), and while you can do 2 overnights in a row with 3 crew, any more than that and it really takes a toll. 4 it is comfortable and liveable.
  16. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I've always found that with cruising couples they tend to do what they feel like at the time, cover for each other and fall into a rhythm that works for them. Not like professionals doing set shifts.
  17. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

That's true, but in a trip like this, you simply cannot do it safely with 2 people on a boat this size. I've found with couples, they break a lot of safety rules and somehow get lucky. You cannot maintain proper engine room checks, fix something on deck if something breaks, snaps off and is doing damage to the vessel and needs hands on deck to fix, maintain a proper watch 24/7, and stay fresh, alert, and not fatigued. There are a lot of daily activities that have to be done on a trip like this, aside from engine room checks etc. Making water, pumping out holding tank, fuel transferring, calculations, cooking, re-provisioning the refrigerator, and on and on. If there is any sea state, it's very hard to get any decent or real sleep. For safety, you have to man a watch 24/7, not that sailboat crap where they just leave it on autopilot and go to sleep for hours on end and hope nothing happens. If you wake up to a situation, flooding, fire, etc. because nobody is on watch. You're basically ditching the boat and in a liferaft because by the time you wake up to it, it's too late.

I do a lot of long trips running 24/7, usually for just a night or two, but back to back, do an overnight, pull in clear customs/eat/fuel/get the boat clean/ sleep/ then the next day leave and do an overnight again, and again and again. Everything has to be checked and correct. For example I recently took a 62' MY to Fort Lauderdale from the Panama Canal. Leg 1- 220 NM, Leg 2- 400NM, leg 3- 310NM, leg4- 350NM, leg 5- 155 NM's. Ran at cruise 1st and and 5th leg, we only had the range to run at cruise 220NM MAX in the tanks, cruise speed 22 knots, I carried an additional 220 gallons in drums, but takes an hour at hull speed to transfer the drums. Leg 2 was 48 hours at sea (2 nights), leg 3 was 22 hours at sea, leg 4 was 24 hours at sea. We spent 1 night at a marina after leg 1 and 2 and with a crew of 3 total were all totally exhausted and beat. Luckily we had to wait for weather after leg 3, so spent 3 nights in Isla Mujeres.
  18. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Urgh, that sounds a VERY poor tank capacity, for a 62 footer... :confused:
  19. mapism

mapism Senior Member

That's essentially down to considering also very long passages as part of the fun, not as a job to accomplish.
    Personally, I see them much more as the latter rather than the first (also when I'm on my own boat with just my wife!), but each to their own.
  20. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Many hands make light work, sure, but couples (and solos) are cruising all over the world and doing multi-day runs. Many on sailboats where sails and course require constant monitoring and adjusting. The OP's are among them. They're not newbies. From post #11 "Hubby and I used to own a 47 ft. Robertson and Caine Leopard catamaran. We are blue water sailors and both have our 100 ton captains licences. We are used to long passages ---- Average at sea time 6 days."