Click for Nordhavn Click for Mag Bay Click for Burger Click for Walker Click for YF Listing Service

iPhone- Favorite Nautical Apps

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by ychtcptn, Sep 2, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. jdpeterson

jdpeterson New Member

Kafue: Have you considered using Documents-to-Go to access your fuel consumption spreadsheet directly on the iPhone?
  2. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

Thanks for the recommendation.
    However the Navionics has got the fuel consumption, just worked it all out. As with all the gizmos & apps, it takes a few sessions before you get the understanding. Until the next morning....then it starts all over again.
    Pity the guys with Magellan shares & other GPS companies. They will go the way of 8 tracks (not that I remember them, much;) & cd's, VHS.
    Still enjoy using a paper chart & figuring it out.
  3. GFC

GFC Senior Member

I'm not supposed to know it, but I'm getting a Droid for Christmas.

Where does one go to find out what apps are available?
    Does and app for an iphone work on a Droid?

sign me,

smartphone newbie
  4. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Not at all.

The difference is like Windows vs Mac OS. Companies can make similar apps for both platforms, but it's a totally different program on the inside.
  5. Yachtguymke

Yachtguymke Senior Member

Droid Apps

They are found in the Market, which is like the app store for the iPhone. I was a previous iPhone user but went with the droid a few weeks ago. Glad I did. It seems to be more robust!
  6. Fireman431

Fireman431 Senior Member

The compass is a standard app on every iPhone.

AOL Radio is another great satellite radio free app.

AroundMe is a great one (free). Helps you find any bank, restaurant, ATM, etc and immediately drops it into your GPS.

Google Earth offers a free app.

YellowBook is a great resource.

And for killing time, WordsWithFriends is a great online scrabble game.
  7. zudnic

zudnic Senior Member

i-Phone any boat related apps

Despite being annoyed at being over charged for data on my i-phone. I still like having them. One for America and the other is Canadian. Lots of aviation related applications. Like SkyChart: FAA aviation navigation sectional charts. Or another called C0-Pilot: performs general aviation flight planning calculations -- detailed climb, cruise, fuel and weight & balance calculations. CoPilot stores the information for trips so that you can refer back to previous trips (or modify them for new trips) and you can file Canadian and American flight plans with it.

Lots more for general aviation pilots. So was wondering what was available for boaters. Maybe someone can come up with an app for the i-phone. Since I'm paying for apps might as well get some on my phones or my i-Pad! :D
  8. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Look at the Navionics download. If you have and iPad its indispensibe IMO
  9. ScotL

ScotL Senior Member

There is even a marine traffic app for those interested(android for sure, have to assume iphone has it)
  10. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

The app I use the most while underway is charts and tides. It s not just nav software it s a cruising guides thanks to its integration of Active Captain data cached in your phone (no live data connection needed except to update)

It s very convenient to check on marinas, fuel prices, anchorages or shoaling reports. One tap dials marinas... And you can update/submit data from the app.

Also has easy to use tide graphs.
  11. zudnic

zudnic Senior Member

Cool find and I'll do some reading before further comment.
  12. JWY

JWY Senior Member

A thread which has its last post over a year ago might be old, but for iPhone apps, it's ancient, so maybe time for some updates.

I just discovered iHealth Blood Pressure Dock. It works for iPads as well, but if you have an Otter box, the cover prevents docking. So this dock and charger also takes blood pressure. I assume every long-range cruiser has a sphygmomanometer onboard, so this is an incredible invention. Put your phone in the dock, cuff on your arm, hit the start button. It registers your (or a guest's) BP and pulse on your phone, keeps a record, and you can email the report to your doctor.

Compact, precise, and communicative. Unbelievable.

Judy