Click for Burger Click for Burger Click for Glendinning Click for Nordhavn Click for Mulder

international maritime travel during coronavirus

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Colin Rowat, Jul 29, 2020.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Colin Rowat

Colin Rowat New Member

My children live in Japan with their mother. Due to the coronavirus, Japan is currently not allowing foreigners (like myself) in if they have been in any of 146 countries (listed here) in the previous 14 days. I am therefore exploring the possibility of taking 14 days to sail in.

If anyone has experience travelling internationally under coronavirus restrictions, or could introduce me to someone who does, I would be grateful to hear from you.

Thank you,

Colin
    London, UK
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

If you're talking about spending 14 days on your own boat, not making landfall, that's one thing. If you're talking about 14 days on a cruise ship filled with passengers that'll be quite another. I'd recommend discussing your plans with Japan's Dept. of Health to get the straight and current scoop since things change by the day. So much will depend on where you spent the past 2 weeks as well as the current situation in Japan when you arrive.
  3. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Japan does have a 24 hour hotline you can call.

Now, they do allow exceptional circumstances. How old are your kids?

If you are allowed in, you are required to have PCR tests and then quarantine 14 days at a location designated by the quarantine station chief.

Japan's daily cases are now 1200. Florida 9000.
  4. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

5. Colin Rowat

Colin Rowat New Member

Thank you all.

@NYCAP123 :
    • agreed, certainly not a cruise ship, especially given how this all began to spread in Japan!
    • I'm talking to the authorities, but also want to talk to independent experts as well, so I can understand the strength of my case before trying to make it
    @olderboater :
    • from what I've seen so far, Japan's interpreting "exceptional circumstances" very narrowly e.g. deaths/funerals, last visits to dying family members. If you'd heard otherwise, that would be very good news.
    • my sons are 15 and 12; they're also foreign citizens, so wouldn't be allowed back if they left now
    @Ken Bracewell :
    • perfect - I'll drop Nigel a line now
  6. Colin Rowat

Colin Rowat New Member

On Wednesday, I cleared immigration in Fukuoka, Japan, having set sea from Vladivostok on 29 September.

The help I received here, particularly Ken's recommendation that I get in touch with Nigel, was a key turning point in my efforts: thank you again.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2020
  7. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

Very happy to hear that it worked out. Cheers.
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

That's amazing and thank you for following up on the forum. A lot of people come on forums and ask out of the box questions and then just never respond as to what happened.
  9. Soulstice

Soulstice Member

That is great to hear, glad you arrived safe and you can be reunited with your family!