Click for Mulder Click to Save Click for YF Listing Service Click for Cross Click for YF Listing Service

Insurance for freelance Captains?

Discussion in 'Yacht Captains' started by Islandtime, Sep 24, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Well, Sorry if I responded back, fired up but still confused with everybody's fuss including your comment that I may have poorly responded to.
    Nobody has yet to confess that a real maritime attorney said this or that..

And you agreed where??
    Must of been;
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2024
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Now, As a service company owner, When I go down below and touch or even look at a loose screw, I need lots of liability insurance.
    As a service company owner, I had to purchase my own personal medical/health insurance.
    These are entirely different issues than pushing a boat.

If a fault of the boat or any event happens that I am injured, then the boat owners insurance still covers me. Just like if the owner or approved family member was driving.
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2024
  3. Ryan Burnett

Ryan Burnett New Member

In your experience, what are some things you look for before taking command of a new vessel? What are some red flags that would cause you to decline business with an owner? Also, do you revise your waiver/contract with each vessel/owner you work with?

Thanks!
  4. Capt Cole

Capt Cole Member

I’ll try to keep this relatively short.
    Vessel must be insured, No Exception

Vessel must be seaworthy for intended use.
    if recently purchased, I review survey. Always inspect vessel before moving forward. Inspection portion is generally part of the first lesson.

Speak at length with potential client about their experience, intended use of boat and determine their expectations/goals.

If we are on the same page, complete waiver. The waiver is generic and can accommodate for example, Lessons, Sea Trial, Delivery etc.