Click for Nordhavn Click for Furuno Click for YF Listing Service Click for Burger Click for Northern Lights

Installing remote drains in mufflers...thoughts?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by 30West, Jan 17, 2018.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Bill106

Bill106 Senior Member

I don't want to sound negative but I'd be concerned about the weight of that hanging on a few threads in the fairly thin wall of the muffler. On a cruiser style boat you hopefully never will encounter the kind of rough sea conditions I see boats subject to regularly but dropping those out will make a mess not to mention adding a bunch of water in the bilge. I'd want to add a flange similar to a seacock backing to at least get more thread engagement.
  2. 30West

30West Member

A few posters have mentioned that, and I agree it is a concern I have to consider. I want the fiberglass guy to add glass to the muffler, and encase the stainless thread adapter threads. That will add structural strength to the muffler walls, which are quite strong in that area, fully encase the thread adapter up to the hex, and give strong internal thread for the valve. The valve weighs 8.3 oz, and at 2.12" long, is more compact than the typical 1/4" ball valve. There won't be a lot of weight cantilevered out on this added lump of fiberglass structure.
    SSValve drawing.jpg
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I thought the mufflers were out? Easy to attach valve and support them then?

,Ungrateful scorpion
  4. 30West

30West Member

Once they are reinstalled, they will take two hands to install a pipe plug, and I don't think it will be possible to reach with both hands. A valve will make it more likely the mufflers get drained when put up for storage.
  5. Beau

Beau Senior Member

As a simple guy like me, this is way over engineered. If I saw that system in a prospective purchase, I'd scratch my head. You're creating a complicate system for what? Do you know whether you have baffles or support structures in your mufflers? If so, under your theory you'd have to evacuate each chamber. An inch or two of water in the bottom of the muffler when frozen (in a heated building unless there is a temp power failure) is not going to damage its structure, IMO. Why don't you put a fitting in front, top of the muffler and pump in pink stuff until your arm gets tired? You probably can do that by finding a zinc fitting or drain plug up stream

I think you are confusing poor muffler design with simple, prudent winterizing. Respectfully, I think you have create a complicated solution for which you are seeking validation. But I wish you the best.
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  6. 30West

30West Member

This is a simple ball valve, the simplest step up from a plug I can do here, a seemingly logical fix to a design problem of limited access. My engines each have multiple drain valves for the raw water, big air tanks always have valves to drain accumulations of water, I'm not inventing anything new here. Yes, I've had my arm up to my shoulder inside both mufflers checking out the internals, not complicated. One drain is plenty.

Validation, no. I've been a mechanical engineer for decades, don't need approval now for something I've been successful at for a long time. But from that experience I know there are still things I don't know, and always ask the machine operators and machinists and maintenance if I'm missing anything. The obvious isn't always. I've gotten some good advice here and I've modified what I'm doing because of it.

I spend a lot of time on automotive and airplane forums, I know how a seemingly simple discussion can go off the rails and I'm ok with that. I appreciate all the advice.
  7. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Didn't mean to come across snarky, sorry about that!
  8. 30West

30West Member

No worries. I've been away from boating for a while. I know a lot about building custom industrial assembly machinery, have to be reminded what is proper on boats is not always the most practical solution. There are boats out there that are extremely practical and I don't much like their looks, don't want to do that to my boat. Opinions matter and I appreciate hearing them.
  9. 30West

30West Member

Response from Centek ended with "This fix sound like it should work fine."
  10. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

When you winterize a motor don't you run the motor with the raw water pump picking up antifreeze and running it through the motor until it comes out the exhaust? Wouldn't the muffler also have antifreeze in it? I wouldn't do this as the mufflers are very thin walled and lots of vibration and etc.