Click for Abeking Click for Furuno Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service Click for Glendinning

Info on IPS powered sportfishers

Discussion in 'General Sportfish Discussion' started by BrandName, Jul 16, 2009.

1. BrandName

BrandName Member

I am looking for info on how the IPS system fits in sportfishers. I have checked out the various builders sites (Sculley, Freedom, etc..) and I have yet to find any good info on how much space they free up. I would love to see some layouts for a sportfisher in the 55-65 ft range with IPS. Does anyone know where I can find this info?
  2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

I am not familiar with the brands using it, but the idea from Volvo Penta is that you can fit an extended shaft between the engine and the drive to get a lower working deck. Or you have it all back and get more internal space.
  3. Blair

Blair New Member

You may want to look at the Salthouse Marine website and check out their 65Q variant that has quad IPS's. In their case it appears that with shifting tanks forward for trim purposes, the need for accommodating the usual gen sets and other gear the amount of extra cabin space created below is fairly limited but nonetheless welcome. There's a comparative weight advantage and less fuel is used by the quad IPS set up so the benefits are not limited to the amount of useable room gained. 4 engines means more servicing costs perhaps but heaps of redundancy if one dies of course. So far the ones built have apparently travelled on their own bottoms with their owners for delivery from NZ to a home in Western Australia so those voyages are several thousand miles including the 1200 mile first leg to cross the 'ditch' (Tasman Sea) to Aussie's East Coast. A confident decision has been made to do this rather than any foolhardy act of faith so I guess Volvo would be quitely pleased that transoceanic reliability is also being demonstrated by reputable people. Good publicity for the design/build quality too naturally enough.
  4. Bert38

Bert38 New Member

IPS information

Spencer Yachts is using the VOlvo Penta IPS system also. They may have some layouts you can see.
  5. Mike I.

Mike I. New Member

sportfish layout plan in ips powered 56footer

check out the Freedom Boatworks 56. The space savings is impressive-4 staterooms.
  6. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

What if this drive-leg were turned around such that the props (or single prop) became pulling props as with IPS? And what if this drive-leg housing was incorporated into being the leading edge of the skeg-mounted rudder??

You end up with a truly horizontal prop that doesn't pull your boat's stern under upon hard backing, less drag than a traditional prop shaft and strut, and a big variety of engine placements.

Forgo the extra rotation capabilities of the IPS...and the big extra expense....and control the maneuvering just as you would any twin propped vessel.

(A similar idea is under consideration for a gentleman looking for a fishing charter 55 motorsailer for SE Asia)

Attached Files:

7. NoRudder

NoRudder New Member

You may want to use some caution here, as the patent held by Volvo Penta has extensive verbage about forward facing props being used.
    I'm no lawyer, so it may not exclude your plan. Just FYI.