Click for Mulder Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service Click for Delta Click for Walker

in-line 6 Cylinder Engines, 'straight-six'

Discussion in 'Engines' started by brian eiland, Jun 26, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Agreed ;)....and that is what I'm looking for in a good solid marine engine that will take me many miles with minimum problems and long overhaul periods.
  2. brian eiland

My point as well...it is the gearing (transmissions) that are contributing significantly to this new fuel efficiency..and there is no real good reasoning this can't be applied to in-line sixes....for the road at least.

Look at what RPM's our modern cars and trucks are turning at hwy speeds compared to what they use to turn,...almost half the RPMs in some cases.
  3. ddw1668

ddw1668 Senior Member

As I read this thread, I become more confident that I made the right decision to buy a boat with two inline six cylinder diesels.

There is a rumor that the 2014 Corvette with a SEVEN speed manual will get 40mpg highway........My 2001 Corvette convertible with an automatic regularly returned 26mpg hwy.

"Captain.......there is trouble in the makin........the men have broken into the rum locker.......":eek:
  4. brian eiland

Steyr ...light weight diesels

If I were looking for light-weight diesels, perhaps for a multihull vessel then these engines might be at the top of my list....Steyr
    http://www.vogt-kappeln.de/motoren/images_steyr/steyr.pdf

...and to say that straight sixes are only bulky, heavier, by nature, then look at this aircraft consideration of an inline 6:

Diamond Aircraft has announced that it is developing a new engine in conjunction with Streyr, a longtime maker of diesel engines for the marine market. While the company released few details on the engine, it is known that it will be a 280 hp in-line six-cylinder diesel — Diamond apparently prefers the terms "jet fuel piston aviation engine." The engine will feature an integrated case and cylinder heads. Its in-line configuration makes it very thin, while still not being much taller than a conventional horizontally opposed six-cylinder aircraft engine. The engine is planned to be the production powerplant for the Diamond DA50 five-place single and Diamond's under-development Future Small Aircraft twin. The prospects are intriguing for several reasons.

Attached Files:

5. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Hi Brian,

I have a client who has just fitted one of the 6 cylinder Steyr motors to a brand new fast fisherman (a bit like a Downeast Lobster Yacht). Its too new to see how robust or economic it is yet but I'll let you know what I find out.
  6. brian eiland

Repairs in Third World

I responded: There have been a few times in the past that I wish I had just 'sent it back to the factory' or bought a replacement,...rather than had a 'local expert' try to get the correct parts and do the repair correctly...over and over again. I'm sure I could find many other cruisers who would agree.

Now let me give you an example:
    These quotes came from this subject thread:
    http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/technical-discussion/13335-how-much-%24-rebuild-these-engines.html

Can you imagine trying to get all of the correct mods and changed parts to a third world country, and employing a 'backyard mechanic' to get it right.

At least the Steyr engine is light enough to be air freighted.

BTW, this very informative reply by K1W1 was the sort of information I was seeking about various marine 6 cylinder engines whe I started this subject thread.
  7. brian eiland

8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

9. brian eiland

10. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Would this mean the end of an era? Sorry, But have not had much luck with anything mechanical from Taiwan or mainland China.
  11. brian eiland

Hopefully they will keep production in Austria....I don't see why they might change this. The extra investment should allow a bigger marketing campaign for their product around the world.
  12. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

What is this Straight Six?

After a year or more of searching for the right car, then 3 false starts, I have finally found and bought the car I have been saying I was going to own since I was a teenager.

Here is the engine, with some part of the images blurred so the identity is a "bit" more challenging for you engine "fundis" (Slang for experts where I come from), to guess what the car is;)
    Here it is:

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      77.4 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      105.5 KB
      Views:
  13. dsharp

dsharp Senior Member

Austin Heally 3000
  14. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I think the side draft carbs gave it away (Zeniths?).
    I was thinking Alfi but the side-drafts kept bugging me.
    Not much into ole english stuff so I'm open for an education.
  15. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

16. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

dsharp got the answer straight off!

The motor belongs to a 1966 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8 Mk3 Phase 2.

I bought it from John Peters of Sports & Classics in Connecticut after he found it in a car collection that was being sold off. Fully restored almost 20 years ago and John is converting the car to Right Hand Drive, plus renewing all the hoses, tyres, brakes and more etc. Hope to have her home early next year.

I'll post some more photos and info in the Off Topic Thread.

K1W1, also correct.
  17. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Nice wheels.

I know a guy who has spent a purpoted £50k to date on a full restoration of one.

Some of those old English cars were already prepped to have the steering etc on the other side.

Some could take the instrument cluster ( in the Mini it was mid mounted anyway) and exchange it with the glove box and there were holes in the floor and firewall covered wth plates that could all be swapped around. The steering boxes were one thing I recall being different, the drop arm was on the wrong side if swapped directly.
  18. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

Yes, the conversion to RHD is no big deal.
    As for spending money on the car, just another bad habit! but for a happy result.
    I have dreamt of owning a BJ8 for 40 years so I reckon it's bucket list time.
  19. dsharp

dsharp Senior Member

I had to edit my post to delete 3000 with twin Stromberg carbs but I realized that wasn't correct. My first car was a Triumph TR250. Post pics when You get her home. You have good taste.
  20. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

It's been near 40 years since I've peeked under any English bonnet. Even though I was not correct, I feel good that I was close.
    Zenith carburettor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I did enjoy looking at sport cars years ago. I could not fit inside them so lost interest quickly.
    So, I like big old boats instead.

Congrads on your new ride Kafue.