Click for Nordhavn Click for Westport Click for Delta Click for Nordhavn Click for Abeking

IIMS Level one diploma in surveying

Discussion in 'Yacht Designers Discussion' started by tirekicker11, Jul 29, 2010.

1. tirekicker11

tirekicker11 Senior Member

Hi All,

This is my first post on this forum. (I ended up here trough the tread of the Bertram 63 that sunk)

I have been in boating for 15 years, worked as delivery crew and have been working as an independent maintenance contracter as well as having managed a boatyard.

I am currently considering to do the IIMS course in order to become an independent yacht surveyor. Prospects look very good in the region I live and I'm looking forward lifting my career to a new level.

At this moment I'm trying to get some second opinions about this course I'm planning to do and I was wondering whether there are contributors here who have done this course or have an opinion about it.

All feedback would be appreciated.

Here's the link to the course: http://www.iims.org.uk/education.asp

Cheers,
    Tirekicker
  2. yotphix

yotphix New Member

3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

4. tirekicker11

Yotphix I did. The courses are basically the same. I prefer the IIMS one because you will be an IIMS member after the course and the credits gained with this diploma will count towards a batchelor degree from the Porthsmout University. I might be interested in continuing with this bachelor degree.

Second; the Lloyds course is in no way affiliated with Germanisher Lloyds or Lloyds of London. This school uses this name for their marketing. I find that a bit cheap.

Cheers,
    Tirekicker
  5. yotphix

yotphix New Member

Good to know, I wasn't aware of that. I did look at the course some time ago and thought it well conceived. I am interested to know about the course you mentioned but the link is still not working for me. Even if I remove the suffix and just use the http://www.iims.org.uk portion. Nycap apparently has no trouble. Anyone else?
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I just clicked on it again and no problem. Could it be a firewall setting or a parental control setting on your computer?
  7. yotphix

yotphix New Member

Perhaps something from the ISP. The computer is set to let me see, er, um, lots of things. I get it in results when I do a google search but I can't open any pages from iims. I even tried two different browsers. Perplexing. I'll shut up about it now though, rather than hijack the thread. Too bad, as I really was curious.
  8. tirekicker11

I have tried to upload the PDF prospectus but (over 800KB) is to large. I have asked Administrator to send it to your personal account. It is the 2010/2011 prospectus and will tell you basically everything they have published on their website and more.

One of my clients is one of the writers of one of the modules in the course and I have discussed all the questions I have about this course with him but I still find it strange that there is so little feedback about this diploma course from the internet. Even if you Google the course you can't find anybody who has finished it or is doing the course.