Click for YF Listing Service Click for Abeking Click for Burger Click for Nordhavn Click for Perko

Idiots. Everywhere!

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Chevelle, Aug 9, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Chevelle

Chevelle New Member

Today we were running from Sag to MVY (on 141' Trinity) as soon as we pass Plum Island we run into Heavy fog. Horn on. Bosun on bow. Mate on one radar at 3.5 miles passing me traffic on my radar set at 1 mile, Captain working the radio and zigging and zagging and calling out his moves. Came to a dead stop multiple times to let idiots, with no right of way, pass by at 20+knots. Mostly CC and Sportfish. Most moving to fast to raise on the radio, because you cant keep up with their positions (L/L wise) and they have no AIS! As many boats as we saw on Radar, 2 had AIS (not counting the ferries). This went on for 3 hours, very intense.

One chuckle head in an Azimuth was blowing along at 26kts coming from our Starboard side. Visabilty was Approx 200'. we come to a dead stop (again). we watch him cross us on radar. about then our horns sound, dude must have freaked! he whips a 180 and passes across us again, 100 feet away! Never once slowing down!

Just another day boating with the masses!
  2. Beau

Beau Senior Member

I have cruised that area for many years. It is incredible to see the navigation inexperience of any number of boats out there. Whoever thinks they can run in that heavy fog out there more than in single didgits is suicidal. Another boat to watch for is the wooden boat without any radar reflector - dory, sailboat, or samll runabout. They have local knowledge and will test you. They pop up without a blip on the screen! 9 time out of 10, I can see the Azimut type on my radar, and avoid him if he does not avoid me. But you need to be vigilant out there, same in Newport and Montauk.
  3. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

Been there, done that. I can't begin to describe how scary it is when you're creeping along at seven or eight knots then have some ahole appear out of the fog hauling ass and nearly hitting you.
  4. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

Try southern Oregon and Northern CA when the fog is in and the fishing fleet is out, they do not use fog signals and expect you to avoid them, as one told me, : we are fishing mate and don't have time for that nonsense", it's real fun in 20 ft swells.
  5. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Dennisnmac

Thats just against the rules. If local official aren't going tO require professionals to be professionl, you're out of control IMO
  6. maldwin

maldwin Senior Member

In Maine, we have similar issues, and I think it was safer before GPS, as more people stayed in port on foggy days. At least, most of the lobstermen have loud engines which they must think is a good substitute for a fog horn!
    Best,
    Maldwin
  7. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

The worst i ve seen are the fast ferries out of Hyannis... They fly out of channel at high speed regardless of visibility and traffic. Last year i was coming in with heavy fog (under 200' vis), they were other boats inbound inc sail without radar making sécurité calls and one of the ferry was heading out at 20kts. He crossed me under 1/4 mile and i never saw him
  8. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

Same in the UK

Same thing here too. Fortunately there are just fewer boaters here.
    We went up the Firth of Forth last week in Edinburgh, Scotland and nearly ran over two ocean Kayaks in the middle of the shipping channel under the famous Forth RR Bridge. ZERO visibility
  9. Laurence

Laurence Senior Member

Nationwide Fools

Same on the West Coast. We were bring Pearson sailboat south on Burrows Bay in Washington State with wife on the bow in heavy fog. Bass-type fishing boat comes screaming north at like 30 mph within 100 feet of us. Just appeared out of and disappeared into the fog.