Click for YF Listing Service Click for Delta Click for Comfort Click for Perko Click for Westport

ICW question

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Hfkeen, Feb 11, 2004.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Hfkeen

Hfkeen New Member

OK, after 25 years of inland lakes, we're now on our second year of Gulf Coastal boating. We should have named the boat "Chicken of the Sea" :rolleyes: , as we mostly stay in the bays and run the ditch 125 mi south and 200 mi north.

When we encounter commerical traffic in the ditch, there's always a question of breaking down (slowing our 38'er, as we throw as much as a three foot stern wake at cruise,) when passing or overtaking a tug pushing or pulling.

We try to be religious about contacting the other vessel and asking what their preference is in meeting, usually port to port.

So, just when should we break down, or know when to ask? While most of our tug captains are respectful, (even the cajun Capts. when I can understand them,) they can be unrelenting when asked what may be a dumb question.

Your experiences would be appreciated.

Fred
  2. Tweaked Torpedo

Tweaked Torpedo New Member

I generally back down for smaller vessels, like family runabouts and bowriders, but I usually don't back off for a larger vessel, unless I have to. I always back off and give way to vessels under tow, but I often speed up when I see jet-skiers. I have as much fun watching them jump my wake as they seem to have doing it.

As for the cruising the intracoastal, I won't get on plane in narrow channels with seawalls. It would leave a virtual washing machine behind me that could endanger smaller boats.

I think it's important to maintain communication with other vessels and give way to their wishes. I wish other boat owners were as courtious... or atleast as educated. Licensing should be mandatory. Too many people with more dollars than sense!

Just my opinion.
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2004
  3. captbkoch

captbkoch New Member

The Nav Rules, which you should be familiar with state that the overtaken vessel is the stand on vessel, and you as the overtaking vessel are the give way vessel, size is of no relivance here! Bigger or smaller , rules are rules for a reason and that is to protect the safety of those aboard. You are responsible for your wake ,and your wake may come from a smaller vessel but still be able to cause injury aboard the larger vessel , not something I think you would want to find out! In travelling the ICW you should find that if you back off the throttles just off of the qtr. back about 50 feet or so that your wake will aid you in passing the wake will not have a nagative effect on the stand on vessel all will be safe and happy! play with the distance for your boat as all are different! Good luck and have fun!
  4. Hfkeen

Hfkeen New Member

Capt B,

Absolutely acknowledge responsibility for our wake. Guess the real question I was trying to ask was when passing a tug pushing two bushels that are loaded, we often get told to "hurry the heck up", after having slowed down for the overtaking. How do you know? And I guess there's a difference if they're empty also. Of course, when in doubt, I'd slow.

Fred
  5. yachtjim

yachtjim Guest

I have done the ditch more times than I can count. Whenever I approach a tug/barge I always try to get them on the radio and ask them if they prefer me to slow down. I can't remember one occasion where the skipper asked me to slow. (actually I do remember one occasion - I passed a tug pushing 8 brand new army/navy?? landing craft in SC). He asked us to slow. But most skippers could care less. there aren't too many boat wakes that will even affect them a bit. If you don't know just ask...