Click for Westport Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Northern Lights Click for Delta Click for Perko

IBEX: New Innovations

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by JWY, Sep 1, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. NEO56

NEO56 Member

Hi Judy, I'm looking forward to all of the innovations that you've encountered, and I personally appreciate all the work you've put into this and the fact that you're willing to share all of this with us. In addition to your plate being completely full, your willingness to share with us is very important to me.

Thanks for all of your hard work.
  2. JWY

JWY Senior Member

Thanks, Neo!

Today was almost 3 miles of walking the exhibits! We started at 8:30 and after meeting with about 40 exhibitors, we called it quits at 3:30. The 5 judges then spent 3 hours discussing the merits of those on the "short" listed and we decided on winners for 12 categories. In total, we visited about 65 of the 88 entries; some we tried to speak with but couldn't find them at their display even after several attempted visits (accounts for some of the milage).

Interesting that there were no submissions for the safety category. Nothing new in life rafts, materials...??

The amount of quality products is astounding. In many of the presentations, the exhibitor would mention how many patents they obtained. There really is new and practical stuff coming on market. The variety of products is impressive and I hadn't quite realized the breadth and diversity of our boating aficionados. I didn't even know there was a category of boats called wake surfing boats. They tend to have humongous speakers on their "towers." I learned that the speakers were for the surfboarder! The surfer can remote control his own music! The idea of being on the water and listening to loud music while skiing or surfing made me feel a bit anachronistic, but then one of my fellow judges pointed out that it's that style of entertainment that is attracting the younguns to the world of boating. Go for it!

Tomorrow I'll let you know the category winners. I also want to let you know about many of the innovative products. There really are some game-changing improvements in marine technology!
  3. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Can't wait to hear, Judy. I had to laugh at those not at their exhibits. I use to attend industry shows in other industries and there would always be some booths with no representatives there. Then you just wonder if they can't even man their show booth, is that really someone you want to deal with.
  4. NEO56

NEO56 Member

Hi Judy,
    I hope your posting either with your feet propped up or soaking in some Epson Salts! Not speaking for the Powers that be here, but I'd love for you to do a review on your finds (along with photos) here on YF. Well that tears it, I'll find someone who can get me passes next year to that show....I'd love to attend. I'd like to recommend a couple of places for you to go for a good meal, but I'd guess you have just enough time to force some food down just to keep from passing out. I'm so glad that you were invited to be on the judging panel, it's kind of like trading on inside information!:D I can't wait to get the scoop from you.
  5. JWY

JWY Senior Member

IBEX was such an incredible experience to learn about what is new in the industry that I would suggest anyone interviewing yards ask the builder when they last attended IBEX. The Innovation Awards were given to new products which excluded many of the displays that were enhancements or expansions over previous models, so there was a lot of valuable information to be gained from visiting the vast majority of the displays. The Innovation Awards applicants indeed produced technological advancements that I think are absolute game changers in the yacht building, servicing, and pleasure cruising aspects of our yachting world.

I managed to at least do a slow pass-by if not stop at every one of the several hundreds of displays in the exhibit hall (maybe 500?) with of course having spent significant time with at least 88 of them as award submissions. I am going to list the winners of the Innovation Awards below but those, as well as others, are deserving of a full description; therefore I will be posting new threads in the appropriate forums (most under technical). Not to worry, I will only post on products that seem appropriate for a significant number of YF readers. Because of the amount of products (I promise not all 500!), my descriptions on most will be rather brief and I leave it to those who have interest to do further research on their own. Also, because I do have a business to run as well as a life, I won’t spend time getting hung up on writing creatively and throwing in my usual efforts to be at least a bit entertaining. But to start, I am compelled to give credit to my fellow judges. I was overwhelmed by their knowledge, experience, and ability to recall technological details of competitive products to ascertain pros and cons of hundreds of products. The worn out cliche of “it takes a village” could be applied to this group of experts; they not only could build a boat, but could probably build the ocean to float it in!

Cast of characters:

Zuzana Prochazka, Awards Chair: To say that Zuzana writes for magazines doesn’t do justice to her extraordinary capabilities and experience. Her 100ton license is like on the lower rung of her credits ladder, but she does write for some serious publications such as Sea, SAIL, Boats US, Yachtworld, and on and on.

Bill Bishop: Bill writes for numerous publications such as Ocean Navigator, Practical Sailor, and the Marine Installers Rant Blog. Broad and deep technical knowledge with a specialty in electronics, Bill is adorable in spite of typifying the crusty sailor caricature.

Ben Ellison: Editor of Pambo.com, Ben is internationally recognized as probably the top marine electronics whiz. You can read his technobabble in PassageMaker, Yachts International, Power & Motoryacht, SAIL, Soundings, and more.

Brady Kay: The executive editor at Harris Publishing which includes Pontoon & Deckboat magazine and Houseboat magazine. Brady specializes in pontoon and house boats and gave invaluable knowledge of all things small boatish, as well as freshwater related and is a gas engine guru.

Beth Leonard: Beth’s brief bio could never do justice to the expression of great things come in small packages - what a powerhouse! Director of Technical Services for Boats US (Boat Owner’s Assoc of US) and technical editor for all of their publications. Beth has circumnavigated twice with her husband in their sailboats, 3 years the first time (37' ketch) and 12 the second go-round in a 47 footer (110,000 nm). Beth has written for SAIL, Cruising World, and authored The Voyagers Handbook as well as others.

Mark Masciarotte: To name just a few accomplishments, Mark is an expert in yacht construction having previously been a principal in one of the largest NA and ME companies in the world, was a ISS founding member, and is a contributor to Showboats Int and Superyacht. Oh, and currently Director of Sales at Westport.

If I had known all of this about my colleagues at the start, I might have been too intimidated to tag along. A collective group of fun, personable, and extremely knowledgable and wise boaters who also happen to excel in their full-time or part-time careers as writers. Keep them in mind should you need a technical writer for your business or maritime needs.

Now for the other winners: It was really hard narrowing the list and ultimately close to impossible to pick a single winner with more than one vying for “most outstanding.” In spite of being told at the outset that there were no ties and no honorable mentions, some products just couldn’t cross over to the “almost” list.

Boatbuilding Methods and Materials: Protomet Corporation, G4 Tower.
    Honorable Mention: Bogantec, Eco-Teak System.

Deck Equipment & Hardware: Taco Metals, Stainless Steel Ratchet Hinge.
    Honorable Mention: JL Marine Systems, Power Pole Micro

Furnishings & Interior Parts: Kenyon Int., Silken Grill

Mechanical Systems: Dometic Corp, Variable Capacity Chiller AND Webasto, BlueCool Variable Speed Chiller

Electrical Systems: Marinco/Mastervolt, ProInstaller Series Clustering System

Inboard Engines: Mercury Maarine, MerCruiser 250hp Sterndrive

Outboard Engines: Suzuki Motor of America, DF25A Outboard Motor

Boatyard Hardware/Software & Dealer Equipment: Trimaco, E-Z Floor Guards
    Honorable Mention: Skudo, Tack-Mat

Propulsion Parts, Gauges, & Propellers: Gemeco Marine Accessories, Offshore Dual Engine Display

Boat Care & Maintenance: Gold Eagle Co., STA-BIL 360 Fuel Treatment
    Honorable Mention: Intertape Polymer Group, SMT 1

OEM Electronics: Medallion Instrumentation Systems, Medallion Viper II Malibu Command Center
    Honorable Mention: Wet Sounds Inc., WW-BT VC Bluetooth Volume Controller

Trailers, Parts and Accessories: Magic Tilt Trailers, Custom Reinforced Tube Trailer

Environmental Award: BlueSkies International, Diurnal Control Valve

Stay tuned for details…

Judy
  6. JWY

JWY Senior Member

The 2015 IBEX was an exhibitor sellout with 573 exhibiting companies and over 7,000 marine professionals registered to attend. There were 55 seminars presented by marine professionals. I am posting about specific products in various YF Forums, mostly Technical but will also post as appropriate in the General Forum. I am unable to copy some of the pictures from the materials I was given so I am requesting specific photos as I go along, so please be patient on accompanying pics.

Judy
  7. JWY

JWY Senior Member

Since my new avatar is the sign for female (the Venus Symbol), it compels me to regurgitate the subject of women in the marine industry. How many women yacht brokers, captains, engineers, builders, yacht owners can you think of? More than a dozen in any one of the categories with a zilch answer for some? Yes, I remember the thread on female captains and perhaps I had even initiated that one. I paid no mind that two of my 4 colleagues on the IBEX judging panel were women. As I was walking the exhibit hall, pre-IBEX opening, I couldn't help but notice the preponderance of masculinity. As we started visiting the Innovation Award candidates, who were supposed to make their display available for just such purpose 2 days in advance, I would eagerly look forward when spotting a damsel, particularly not one in distress. And sure enough, the intelligent, professional, affable business woman invariably turned out to be a marketing director. Wanda Kenton Smith is a legend; Michele Goldsmith of Marinco/Mastervolt was impressive enough that I even remember her name a week later. But the only woman displaying a product that I can recall was a quite elderly lady from a mom and pop company that had submitted for an award. I certainly mean no disrespect to the elderly still in the business, nor to the mom and pop aspect, but she is the only female figure I can recall who was not at the promotional end. Where are the nuts and bolts gals? I like to be recognized as a professional in the marine industry, not as a woman in the marine industry, but c'mon, if you look at the number of YFers with a ? for an avatar versus a venus, it's stratospheric so to speak. What's my point? I'm not sure, but I hope it at least gets some of you to talk up a career in our boating world in whatever form may be appropriate to your sisters, daughters, crew, and how about your office workers and publicity agents. After all, we have different perspectives to offer and the yachting world offers a lot back.
  8. NEO56

NEO56 Member

Judy,
    I feel you. Being a woman in a male dominated industry is one of the hardest assignments there is. Yachting and Wall Street probably top the list. But scientifically speaking, Women have better situational awareness than Men, have a higher tolerance for pain than Men, have better organization skills than Men (how many male secretaries do you know?) I used to own a yellow page company, and all of my employees were Female. I have a saying other than "You can't fix Stupid" it's "If you want something done and done right the first time, ask a Woman to do it." If something happened to me and I had to have a full time Captain, and both of the applicants had the same level of experience and hours, I'd hire a female over the male.
    And guys...don't even go there...I don't want to hear it. It wasn't my intention to bruise any ego's here (and boy...there are some serious ego's on this site) I'm just stating Biological facts, and empathizing with Judy. She absolutely has a valid point!
  9. Belle

Belle Member

Obviously a topic that interests me as I have that Venus thing too. I remember my shock as to the lack of females here and on power boating forums in general. Stereotypes are an interesting topic as while others stereotype us, we do the same to ourselves. And that whole man is Captain, woman is Admiral crap annoys the heck out of me. However, often women don't think of pursuing certain paths and don't even find out if the doors are open.

I think there is some assumption that being a Captain requires some freaking level of strength and muscle. It doesn't if you do it right. Then there's just this thing about engineering. Dealing with motors. Oh, that's a man's thing. Why? Nothing genetic about it. Again if he's using his muscles instead of his brain he's doing it wrong and maybe has too many muscles in his brain area.

So, after a couple of years I'd make a couple of observations. I think the limits to the Captain path are softer than we think. We've hired female captains and they're great. We perhaps got great ones because some prejudiced dudes looked past them. Since I got my license, we've had three female friends work on the same. Two have no interest in anything but operating their own boat, but they want to feel knowledgeable enough to go out together. Still, they created some degree of surprise in others. That surprise though was just as prevalent in other females as males. Walking around the halls, the other girls there just assumed they were stews. See, male deck hands think of following the path up to Captain and most deck hands remain male. But female stews don't think of that as a logical path. The facts are that there are some extremely competent female captains. Probably only 20% of those hiring will honestly consider them but as long as they are less than 20% of the candidates they still have a shot at jobs. Yeah it's not fair all don't. But until more do it and prove themselves competent then they won't be fully accepted.

Engineers are a whole different thing. When we were hiring, we didn't run across any female candidates. Zip. Nyet. Zero. Nada. None. Before females can break through that barrier that exists some have to decide to enter the field. When there are women in the field being discriminated against, I'll raise holy heck over it. But right now there's no one even testing the system. I think of car racing. Drag racing first had women successful. Well, why not other forms such as Indycar or Nascar. Yes, Danica started young but she's the exception. Look at someone like Chase Elliott. His daddy probably had him racing in his baby stroller. At 16, he was experienced. But race car owners are after sponsorship's and money and Danica can't drive worth diddly but look at the money she brings in. Some young female comes along and can actually drive, which they could if there were enough of them starting young, teams would jump on them (not literally, dudes). For real, it opens up a whole new world of sponsors. Can't you just see Heather Fastcar in her Victoria's Secret, Sure, Tampax, Catalina, Tide Toyota.

So this is how I see the tech side of boating, the engineering side. We won't know how females can be accepted until some actually pursue it. Look at engineering schools and see what forms of engineering the females there go for? You'll find very few choose mechanical or industrial. That's fine if we prefer to be architects or write about boats. So who is to blame? Parents. Teachers. A kid is going to see the world as it is. They will picture themselves as they see adults of their sex. It's up to parents and teachers to break through those barriers, not to force females into these fields, but to present them as possibilities. What happens isn't conscious. A simple example. You're a father with a boat and you have a son and you probably talk him into working in the engine room with you, helping you change the oil or a belt, long before he's of any help. If you have a daughter, do you do the same, or do you and her mom tell her to be careful and not get her oil on herself?

So we have the proverbial chicken and egg. I personally believe a female who really wants to be in these fields could do it. They'd run into prejudices and issues, but if they wanted it bad enough, they'd win the important battles and win people over. We have female captains who could have been engineers if they'd chosen. They know their way around the field better than many engineers. Maybe females are too smart for the dirty world of engine rooms and chasing electrical problems through the bowels of the boat. As to developing new products, there's no difference between developing the Malibu arch and developing better kitchen appliances. The reality is very few females do either.

I guess the short of it is I don't blame the industry. I don't believe they're rejecting female candidates. I don't think they're getting them. As to Captains, I do hold some of the older Captains a bit responsible because frankly they're protecting their turf a bit and it can be a good old boys club. On the other hand, all professions have obstacles. I firmly believe females who want to be professional captains can do it. They should just go in knowing it will take hard work, probably require overcoming some stereotypes, and require them to be willing to do all the job, not just the fun parts.

God, this is as freaking long as my hubby writes...oh well. One last comment on the subject. I do remain disappointed that women don't take equal roles on boats couples own. They miss out on a lot. I sure hope if they're going out on a trawler with their man they at least know enough to take over if he gets sick or hurt. Maybe some like just being a spectator, but to me the real fun is participating. Most of the time the man would like for them to take a more equal and active role. Women on sail boats do. Time for women power boaters to do the same.
  10. Hmmmm.

http://www.findacrew.net/secure-server/eng/account/crew.asp?account=240363
  11. Belle

Belle Member

Doesn't have the engineering certification we required. I don't doubt there may be some who do, but we sure didn't run across them or have them referred to us. Now, we did find a person pretty fast so didn't look as much as maybe we could have.

Question for you....are you going to remain a thinker? You seem to like that new name....hehe
  12. Certainly, going for another T-Shirt, post-wise. ;)

Question for you - How does a female obtain cert time without a job?

Perhaps hired as a multitasker with some time spent as Engineer assistant.

P.S.- Your Avatar lacks expression of thought. Any desire to change pic?

Too funny. Just realize the other half is using the Question Mark.

The two of you should have a union meeting and change your Avatars.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2014
  13. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

I changed just for you, OP. Or OPT it is now.
  14. Belle

Belle Member

We didn't have avatars before. I don't think he knew we did now. And the union meeting.....if that's what we're calling it tonight...will occur shortly. It's not quite 10 here yet so maybe about 10:30. Never can tell how long those meetings will run.

What do you have to do for the tshirt? I'm sure I knew but forgot as we don't normally pursue those type things. Didn't know there were prizes. Didn't know about trophies either.

Your concern about the engineering trainee is well placed. We obviously haven't talked to her. But from what we read, we believe she would be better off at this point in her career either on a larger boat or a commercial one with many levels in the engineering area. She could gain the training. She would also benefit from more school training. We typically only have one engineer on board and so it requires more experience and knowledge. Perhaps one day we'll have a training position of some sort. We'd like to help qualified candidates start and build their careers if we had the right situation to do so.

Now, regardless, we were not aware of her as we didn't get a referral from acquaintances nor from the management/placement companies we work with. I'm sure there are others we don't know about. Did run across one but she wasn't US.

Oh and I think we have a big enough boat to land you. If not, we'll just take off and tow you behind.....hehe. What a big mouth you have in your avatar.
  15. Too funny.

Think Hemmingway:

Old Man (OldPhartThinker) of the Sea - need a bigger boat.
  16. Belle

Belle Member

Aren't you afraid this burst of thinking is going to short something out on you? Well, we're headed to the bedroom for the union meeting you feel is needed. Good night OPT.

"I may not be as strong as I think, but I know many tricks and I have resolution"