Click for Cross Click for Furuno Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service

I also dabble in design as a hobby

Discussion in 'Yacht Renderings & Plans' started by Garry Hartshorn, Aug 5, 2005.

1. Garry Hartshorn

Garry Hartshorn Senior Member

Just messing around with rhino on a hull for a boat I have been thinking about for a while. For those into design I would like to hear your comments.

Garry

Attached Files:

2. Garry Hartshorn

And a rendered version of the hull

Obviously not very much there but I am thinking of a explorer style yacht

Attached Files:

• 106.jpg
      106.jpg
      File size:
      17 KB
      Views:
  3. Garry Hartshorn

A few frames and bulkheads

Just frames and bulkheads

Attached Files:

4. Garry Hartshorn

Longitudinal members

Just a few more basic structural members

Attached Files:

5. KCook

KCook Senior Member

Not sure of the scale here. But if it's not a monster I would be tempted to add a tad of bow flare.

Kelly Cook

PS - you might want to move these drawings down to the "Yacht Renderings & Plans" forum :)
  6. Garry Hartshorn

It's interesting to see how things have moved on the site in the last month or so while I have been away pretending to be a cowboy. Different concept a boat driver driving cattle rather than the other way around but probabley just as bad :) :)
  7. KCook

KCook Senior Member

8. Garry Hartshorn

Thanks Kelly

Some of those bridges are making me dream of being on watch on one of those beautiful nights.

Garry
  9. KCook

KCook Senior Member

I thought Carl did a terrific job collecting together all those photos. Kinda disappointed there wasn't more of a response.

Kelly
  10. Garry Hartshorn

Yes he did an excellent job putting all those photo's together. I guess plenty of people looked at them but it's difficult to comment on many of them. There was not one that I would not be proud on.

Garry
  11. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

I think 3.000 views in a month is a great response!
  12. KCook

KCook Senior Member

Good point Lars, I didn't look at the views-per-month figure.
  13. Garry Hartshorn

Haven,t done much with this in a while but thought I would post it anyway. But you can see the line I am going down with the styling.

Attached Files:

• 33m.jpg
      33m.jpg
      File size:
      72.9 KB
      Views:
  14. KCook

KCook Senior Member

Does an expedition yacht really need a radar arch? I'm wondering if a fancy mast would be a better fit for this style?

Kelly
  15. Garry Hartshorn

The arch is intended to support a semi perminent awning yet to be drawn, that idea came from a doggersbank 84 that I skippered for a season
  16. KCook

KCook Senior Member

I think an awning/bimini is a "must have". Surprising that this seems rare, at least in most of the photos in circulation. Maybe all yachts have this, but leave it put away much of the time?

Kelly
  17. Garry Hartshorn

To all those in southern Florida, I hope all is well and that you survive and thrive the testing times that Wilma has imposed upon you.
  18. Ladies choice

Ladies choice New Member

I saw in your resume that you went thru the St. Lawerence seaway, That has always been a interest of mine growing up in the Detroit suburbs and spending summers on Lake Huron, Lake Michigan and Lake Charlevoix.

Please tell me a bit of that journey if you don't mind sharing? How large of a private yacht can make such a trip? I am looking at a 50 meter right now as a possible buy, If we took it North to my partners home in the Hamptons I would love to head over to Michigan to see Family, go to Chicago perhaps even and then back again. How long of a trip is this?

I know huge ships traverse this with cargo so it shouldn't be too difficult in a 50 meter?

My father is in Traverse City, I could just see his face pulling up in a 164 footer!

As a kid I would sail lake Charlevoix in my Sunfish from dawn to dusk, dodging all the cruisers in the narrow straits out to Lake Michigan and around the entire lake from Boyne to Charlevoix and then up the other branch of the lake.

Would be so cool to do that in a yacht today! Some pretty good Lake trout fishing was had but that now has been 30 years ago, god knows what overfishing, pollution etc.. has done to the fish stocks.

Looking forward to hearing more of this trip you took.

I know that for one we will need a captain once we choose a yacht! Will keep you in mind.
  19. Garry Hartshorn

Hi All.
    Having gotten back from a week away at pretending to be a cowboy I discovered an anchor in place of my computer !! which is now entertaining the crayfish in the creek. Funny thing about electrical storms !!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyhow I expect I will be heading to Ft Lauderdale in the very near future to catch up with a few old friends and see what mischief I can get myself into. It's good to be back online and I hope that I will get to meet a few of you in the flesh in the near future.

Regards Garry
  20. Garry Hartshorn

Latest explorer yacht version

I have otherwise been occupied lately so I have not been doing much drawing until about 2 weeks ago, this is my latest version of a 124 ft explorer yacht. Would love to hear any comments.

Attached Files: