Click for Walker Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Abeking Click for Nordhavn Click for Nordhavn

Hypothetical question

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by outlawten5, Nov 16, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. outlawten5

outlawten5 New Member

What would be the best boat and size for extensive cruising in the bahamas? 1 full time couple with another couple as regular guests for say a week at a time? I know this is a pretty vague description but maybe some members with experience could point me in the right direction. Point out some pros and cons for different styles etc...
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Sail or power? Budget?? Crewed or owner operated? How experienced are you? What part of the bahamas? To some folks just going to Bimini or the abacos is enough...

Budget permitting if you don't have any experience (which your post implies) I d say a 50/ 60ish footer with a captain will get you the best experience ans relaxed time

Owner operated if you can stick to something with a 4 1/2 draft you will be able to get to anchorages and areas where 5+ would be a problem. Not that cruising with deeper drafts is a big issue in the bahamas

As to equipment, genset, inverter and watermaker, along with a good tender are must have
  3. outlawten5

outlawten5 New Member

I guess draft should have been my question. Owner operated as my wife and I work well together on our 35' cruiser. A little more space would be ideal for visiting friends but definately not another cruiser. Its like living in a cave. Thanks pascal
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

First:
    Remember that fish and houseguests begin to stink after 3 days.
    More to the point of your question, an older Hatteras or Chris gives plenty of space. If you're looking for something with a bit less space, but more speed and more modern the 50 Viking SC gives in the 2 SR layout has nice staterooms as does the Sea Ray (hold down the moans boys) and several others. 50' is very well covered by many manufacturers and styles. Begin by defining your budget, then figure out the style you prefer (FB, SC, SB, SF, sail, cat, motorsailer, etc.). Until you can do that your question is too broad to get meaningful suggestions although I suspect you are about to get a lot anyway.
  5. Silver Lining

Silver Lining Member

We have a 50 ft Viking SC and go weeks at a time in the Bahamas with my wife and 2 kids. We have had others stay with us on the boat for up to a week, but they are close family with whom we get along well. Anything under 50 ft I would find cramp for extended trips or visitors.

The type of boat is important. It sounds like you have an express cruiser. A 50 flybridge yacht will have a nice salon that is open and have lots of windows and a large sliding glass door. You will also have a roomy cockpit and many flybridge models will have a large flybridge with seating for 8 and a barbeque etc. One needs to be give great thought to going larger than about 56 ft however as the maintanence gets quite a bit harder, rinsing the boat, waxing, three heads instead of two etc. At 50 ft your draft will be reasonable (ours is 3 1/2 ft) and taking the boat out or docking is no big deal.
  6. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Ed,

You might have some strange house guests, myself and girlfriend have just stayed with a couple (the male part of which I have known for close to 40 yrs) in FLL for two weeks which included a week sailing down the Keys on their boat, everyone had a great time and we can't wait to do it again.

I guess how much Mount Gay and good Red Wine you can consume makes a difference. :)
  7. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Ah, but you were the house guest. Let's hear from the host. Usually after 3 days I stop serving my guests dinner and instead serve them FOR dinner.:cool:
  8. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

I will ask him to post it, he isn't a member here but Carl and a few other YF Members have met him and know who he is.
  9. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

No need. " Mount Gay and good Red Wine" :D Cheers.
  10. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

A large sailing or power cat would work nicely in the Bahamas. Steady at anchor with shallow draft to go most any where and nice big cockpits in most cases. To hang out in at anchor.