Click for YF Listing Service Click for Abeking Click for Cross Click for Nordhavn Click for Mag Bay

Hurricane Wilma: Yabba Dabba Doo!!!

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by CTdave, Oct 19, 2005.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. MedRascal

MedRascal Senior Member

Thanks for the info!

How about the show's site? Has there been heavy damage? Will they open on Saturday as planned?
  2. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

Doesn't look good.

Hurricane Wilma Update: Ft Lauderdale International Boat Show May Be Postponed to Spring 2006

YV&C News: Ft Lauderdale International Boat Show Website Down No New Updates

http://fr.sys-con.com/read/144702.htm
  3. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

4. MedRascal

MedRascal Senior Member

So is it confirmed there is NO more show going on? The showmanagment.com website is offline and there appears to be alot of confusion among all the exhibitors.

Can anyone officially confirm ther is no more show...?
  5. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

The problem seems to be that phones are mostly down, and nobody's getting any answers anywhere.:confused:
  6. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

I just know what I could read in the link above, saying;

"A representative for Show Management, which organises the event, said that they would be assessing damage and make a final decision this afternoon."

So, we have to wait for the final answer.
  7. MedRascal

MedRascal Senior Member

Lauderdale show postponed indefinitely

http://www.tradeonlytoday.com/ME2/Default.asp

Lauderdale show postponed indefinitely

The Fort Lauderdale International Boat Show has been postponed until further notice after a stronger-than-expected Hurricane Wilma pummeled South Florida, the Show Management office said today.

Officials say Wilma was the worst hurricane to hit the area in 50 years.

A Category 3 with 115 mph winds, the hurricane on Monday crashed into the southwestern coast then raced toward Miami-Dade and Broward counties on the state’s Atlantic coast, ripping off roofs, flooding streets and knocking down power lines. Local sources say the area is devastated.

Reached this morning by cell phone, show organizer Kaye Pearson says crews started clean-up efforts at the show sites Monday afternoon after the fast-moving Wilma went offshore. Pearson had indicated this morning he may have more specific information later today, but around noontime the show office was advising callers that the show had been postponed. A temporary show office has been set up in a trailer on site, which is equipped with six working telephone lines. The number to call for information is (954) 527-9332.

Show Management’s Web site was not operational today but information also will be posted on the county’s Web site, www.broward.org, Margaret Stapleton of Broward County Emergency Operations Center said today. The show last week was postponed from Wednesday until Saturday in anticipation of the storm. Even if the show goes on, several related events have been cancelled.

The area’s major airports " Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood and Miami International " are closed until further notice. Even when the airports are opened, travelers are advised to contact their airlines, since some flights might not be operating.

Some 6 million customers are without power and officials say it could be four weeks before it is restored. Many communities are without water. The city of Fort Lauderdale is under a boil water restriction.

The Fort Lauderdale Police Department has issued a 7 p.m. to 7 a.m. curfew until further notice. Miami-Dade county residents have an 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. curfew. Other communities have curfews as well, and Coral Springs also has a ban on alcohol sales until further notice.

Most schools and businesses are closed. The Fort Lauderdale beach today is closed.

Broward County officials today say that recovery is a priority. Some 15 sites have been designated as distribution points for water, ice and tarps. Emergency management officials are urging residents to stay off the roadways while cleanup crews remove debris from the street. Traffic signals are without power and crews are working to clear debris from the streets.

President Bush on Monday declared parts of Florida a major disaster area, paving the way for federal funds to help with clean-up efforts.

" JoAnn W. Goddard
    j.goddard@tradeonlytoday.com
  8. andymullen

andymullen New Member

Atmospheric pressure.

Normal atmospheric pressure is 1013 mb.
  9. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Yes, if you are a pilot and have left the ground...! :)
  10. andymullen

andymullen New Member

Pressure.

Sorry, I was wrong. After 30 years working on yachts, I decided to look it up at:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmospheric_pressure
    And found that it is not 1013, but 1013.25mb. Sorry. I should have checked! ;)
    Look at a ship's barometer & you'll see a little mark on 1013.
  11. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

I don´t know what´s the use on a ship, but when you are flying the standard setting of 1.013 is what keeps you separated in altitude. (The altitude meter is working with ambient air pressure).

On the runway before take off, you set the altimeter to zero feet so you know that it is related to the visual surrounding ground. Up above 1.500 feet or so, you change it to 1.013 so that all planes have the same setting and can keep their flight levels related to each other.

Before landing you will get the "QNH" over radio, telling you the actual value at sea level. So you need to know what altitude the airfield is or you ask for QFE which is the pressure at the field which will make the altimeter go to zero upon landing. Normally you use the QNH setting as it gives you the correct flight level in relation to all surrounding ground as you can read on the map.
  12. andymullen

andymullen New Member

The end

O.K. That's fine. But we don't use altometers on yachts. I don't know much about aircraft except, I'm not afraid of flying. It's crashing that frightens me! ;)
  13. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

It's not the fall that will kill you. It's the sudden stop at the end.
  14. Steven H

Steven H New Member

Flying is the easy bit. It's the landings that are though most of the time... :D