Click for Abeking Click for Burger Click for Abeking Click for Mulder Click for Burger

Hurricane Wilma: Yabba Dabba Doo!!!

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by CTdave, Oct 19, 2005.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

From a tropical storm to a monster category 5 in less than 24 hrs. :eek:
    I just read 881mb making Wilma the most powerful storm EVER in recorded history. Hopefully the upper winds will sheer some strength before the expected Florida landfall.
    I was supposed to leave from CT tomorrow to take my Bertram down to FL. I think I better wait & see what happens.
  2. Ben

Ben Senior Member

Sorry Dave, but whats "881mb"?
  3. stmbtwle

stmbtwle New Member

Bad news! "Normal" atmospheric pressure is about 1000 mb (1 bar), I think.

I'm about ready to move to Arkansas. I've had enough of this s....
  4. Ben

Ben Senior Member

ahhh, a rapid drop in atmospheric presure. :eek: :eek:

Thanks. :)
  5. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

New rating system...

Cat 1: Have a party.
    Cat 2: Have a party - inside.
    Cat 3: No party - just prayer.
    Cat 4: Have the party in another state.
    Cat 5: Look for another home in that state.
  6. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

No prob Ben
    "mb" stands for millibars. Central pressure is measured in millibars.
    As stmbtwle pointed out, I think normal pressure is around 1000mb. As I rememer, I think hurricane Katrina was in the low 900s at one point
  7. MedRascal

MedRascal Senior Member

The Ft. Lauderdale Boat show should start on the 27th... its less then a week away! Anybody know if this hurricane will delay it? :eek:
  8. YachtForums

I've been thinking about this all morning. We're all waiting to see when Wilma makes the forecasted NorthEast turn. Either way, most of Florida will remain within the "cone", so the weather won't be favorable over the weekend.
    Matter of fact, it could be downright bad if this storm maintains a Cat 2 or 3 level as it crosses the state. They are calling for a Sunday landfall somewhere between Naples and Tampa, but the storm is suppose to accelerate while crossing Florida. It should clear up very quickly after this and leave nice weather behind for the show.

Typically, there are NO boats at Bahia Mar on the weekend prior to the show, although a few of the big boats start arriving down at the port, or take up residence at a local marina while waiting their turn to slip into Bahia Mar. However, most of the tents and vendor display areas are set up over this weekend. THIS is the real problem. Tropical force winds are enough to wreak havoc on tents, signs, floating docks or even trailers.

Another thing... most of the yachts attending the show are ALREADY somewhere in Florida. I'm sure a number of them will head out to sea, while others will spider-web. These boats might be subject to damage, i.e., flying debris.

Whatever happens, this looks like it could be a logistical nightmare for Show Management. We'll have to wait and see....
  9. YachtForums

Just wanted to add...

Less then 2 months ago, Ft. Lauderdale was brushed by a "weak" Cat 1 Katrina. The eye made landfall about 10 miles south of Lauderdale. Our Broward, which was located in Lauderdale and weighs 90 tons, was under so much wind pressure, it bent a concrete dock piling 30 degrees and snapped a spring line like it was fishing filament. By the way... the winds were no higher than 50 mph.

The outskirts of a Cat 1 or 2 storm could really do some damage.
  10. MYCaptainChris

MYCaptainChris Senior Member

Here

Here in Lauderdale by the sea we hit 96mph with Katrina...... how did you get away so lightly???

We had no damage at all but we are 200t, in fact we all sat on the boat watching the anometer and the TV and it was like nothing was happening outside.......... until you opened the door :eek:

Chris
  11. YachtForums

About 50 mph was the best I saw on my Kestrel pocket wind meter. Can't believe you saw 96 mph winds! Goes to show ya... some of the bands on the NE quadrant can be just as wicked. Have to admit, I didn't clock the gusts, I went inside!

BTW... I grew up in LBS. Tradewinds Avenue, just down from the Benihana.
  12. stmbtwle

stmbtwle New Member

Now you know why the big boys go to sea in that kind of weather... no docks, no pilings, and lots of room to RUN... nothing like a thousand miles of ocean to play in, and a month's worth of fuel. 90 tons is nothing to a hurricane. Neither is 9000, for that matter. Best place to be is SOMEWHERE ELSE!! Been there done that.
  13. MYCaptainChris

REALLY

Small world.

Were you on the canel? east, south, or west tradewinds?
  14. MYCaptainChris

true

I told the owner I wanted to be somewhere else but he doesn't like the cost of fuel at the moment so wants to sit it out!!! At least I've said what I want and in reality the boat is fairly sheltered here. Crossed fingers all will be ok.
  15. mwagner1

mwagner1 Senior Member

Wait.....do not think that by moving to Arkansas you will escape nasty weather.....true, you will not have hurricanes, but you can have incredibly severe weather in the spring and summer (and that includes tornadoes, etc)....as well as ice and snow in the winter......

BUT...if a monster hurricane hits in the right place on the Gulf Coast, the resultant storm can easily come into Arkansas and flood like crazy!!!!

Move to California...wait, earthquakes....okay, Seattle...wait...volcanos!!! Heck, move to Hawaii!!!! LOL!!!!

Cheers,

Mark
  16. YachtForums

No, we keep the boat further south. But, I spent my teenage years on Tradewinds. Six houses south of the Benihana on the ICW. No longer live there, but lots of memories...

My parents bought this house in 1974. We had been living onboard our boat at Bahia Mar for the previous 4 years. Well... the first night we moved in, the air conditioner was not working, so we slept with the windows open. Around midnight, what must have been the biggest freakin' yacht of all time sounded it's horn to open the bridge and my mother darn near soiled herself. Well... we never had to sleep with the windows open again!

LBS was great in the 80's with Ho-Jo's beach. Still stop by LaSpada's on occassion. What's amazing is... the cookie shop is still at the marina after all these years!
  17. stmbtwle

stmbtwle New Member

Actually I was thinking of somewhere north of Mobile. During the winter I'd snowbird it down to Pensacola. Hurricane season go back inland. Floods??? Boats float.

After Wilma it may all be moot, anyway :(
  18. MYCaptainChris

so

We would have been neighbours then!! It's a nice area, but property prices have started going a bit crazy!!!

Back on subject:
    Anyone getting any surge yet on the west coast? or is it still too early?

Chris
  19. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

In the new this morning they mentioned that landfall is predicted for sometime early Sunday morning. The Keys are being evacuated today I understand.

Also, Wilma has been downgraded to a Cat 4.
  20. Ben

Ben Senior Member

Can I just add that I think this thread should have been titled "Hurricane Wilma. Yaba Daba Doo". ;)