Click for Glendinning Click for Northern Lights Click for Nordhavn Click for Westport Click for Burger

Hurricane Sandy in the northeast

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by CTdave, Oct 27, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. JWY

JWY Senior Member

USCG Report on NY & NJ Harbors

UPDATE 1: Port of NY and NJ open with restrictions
    NEW YORK – The U.S. Coast Guard Captain of the Port, Capt. Gordon Loebl, has set Post Hurricane Condition YANKEE for the Port of New York and New Jersey, today.

Vessel movement is limited as follows:

The Port of New York is closed to all recreational vessels south of the George Washington Bridge on the Hudson River, south of the Newark Bay Light “NB” on Newark Bay, west of the Throngs Neck Bridge on the East River, north of the South 36 Bridge on the Raritan River, and east of the Raritan River Railroad Bridge, until further notice.
    New York Waterway ferries are authorized to operate during daylight hours on the Hudson and East Rivers on routes pre-approved by the COTP.
    New York City Dept. of Environmental Protection Sludge vessels are authorized to operate on routes pre-approved by the COTP.
    Mariners are advised to exercise extreme caution when transiting restricted waters due to gusty winds, high seas, and aids to navigation possibly being off station and unreliable. VTS Measures may be enacted based upon current weather conditions.

As the port opens, agents are reminded to provide updates to the pilots and facilities to ensure the efficient entry of vessels.

Movement of vessels may be restricted until winds subside and aids to navigation, channel and waterway surveys have been completed.

As conditions improve and vessel transit restrictions are minimized all mariners should used caution and be prepared for delays due to reported debris. Vessels are requested to provide observations regarding observed weather conditions and location of debris fields. Vessel operators may provide the following information when reporting conditions observed to Vessel Traffic Service New York on VHF channel 11 or 13:

Vessel name, current location, and destination
    Debris type, quantity, and location encountered
    Type and quantity of cargo carried
    For more information about the port status, vist New York Homeport
  2. discokachina

discokachina Senior Member

Google Hurricane Sandy click on images and you will get quite an eye full, more than you will ever want to see! :(
  3. mwwhit1

mwwhit1 Senior Member

Here are a few pics to give you an idea of the Hudson River surge in Jersey City. Many of us were at the marina (Newport Marina) today cleaning out the flooded office, clubhouse room, etc. Overall, minor damage to docks and boats. But this is certainly not the norm around here.

You can see the water on its way up, at the peak (the top of the railing is next to the woman), and after showing the normal HIGH tide water level.

Yes the woman in the pic stayed on her boat during this. She wasn't the only one...

Attached Files:

4. Beau

Beau Senior Member

My son has a little marina in Hampton Bays, NY. Shinecock inlet is the ocean access from his area. Water was 6 feet over the top of his bulkhead. Normally its 18 - 24 inches below the top. He had to re-set all the boats in the yard as they floated off their original jacks. Thankfully no boats lost or damaged. He and his team worked like mongrel dogs! All his electric towers were under water. Had a 38 footer tied to the bathroom door of the shower rooms at one points because they were chasing other boats around the yard. 60 mph gusts on his wind meter. 18 inches of water in his machine shop. He was lucky. Others were not, from the pictures we have seen.
  5. mwagner1

mwagner1 Senior Member

The increasing number of stories and images of destruction and loss of life are so depressing....so sad....:(

Cheers,
  6. Laurence

Laurence Senior Member

Loyal dogs

I wish all marina operators were that responsible!
  7. revdcs

revdcs Senior Member

8. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

I and the boat made it by sitting in the straps on the blocks and stands. I stayed in the hotel next door without power for a couple days until I got launched. Obviously we know the overall damage so I won't post pics but it was horrible all around me. I've got fuel- but almost no one else does. I hope to leave Monday for OC, MD. Sunset Marina is open with fuel and power. Yesterday am was the darkest day but it got better by the end of the day.

Attached Files:

9. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

Do we know how any of our other friends made out?
    I don't think we've heard from CTDave or Bert28 both were dealing with this.
  10. Ormond Bert54

Ormond Bert54 Senior Member

Big Buddy was tied up nicely at Hartge's Yacht Yard, Galesville, MD. The Chesapeake Bay in the Annapolis MD area really didn't get it. There was no damage to any of the boats at Hartges.

[​IMG]

Here she is during the storm ... no problem.

Thanks for asking.

Mike
  11. Mark I

Mark I Member

Sandy

This event has been devastating to many marinas and homes on the shores. My boat didn't get a scratch (condo different story). Half a block away the entire marina and all boats were trashed.
  12. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Another one who would have been involved in this to some extent is NYCAP123.

I wonder what went on in his marina?
  13. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

I've sent Ed an email asking what's going on, I hope he replies soon.
  14. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

Before people jump on the global warming issue please look at history first.
  15. Berean

Berean Senior Member

What's the fuel dock situation for you guys in NY, NJ, RI, Conneticut? I suspect it's probably pretty tough right now if what we are seeing in the news is any indication...
  16. Mark I

Mark I Member

Here on LI South shore there are likely no working fuel docks. Most marinas were devastated. Even if the dock is intact, there is no power and they are likely dealing with boat removal and recovery.

The place is a mess.
  17. Berean

Berean Senior Member

Wow! I could not imagine. You guys are in our thoughts and prayers
  18. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Caught up with Tom Serio yesterday. He was dropping off a CD with pics of the NBAA Show we covered together two weeks ago. He's back in town for the weekend, then headed back to New York on Monday. Tom works for the Verizon Wireless Disaster Management Team and he's been on sight for everything from Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans, to the fires in the SouthWest and earthquakes in California. He said Sandy was worse than Katrina; that the scope of the storm was massive. I think he's going to post a few pics when his schedule allows, but in the interim, I came across these pics on OSO...

This first show is the Seaside Funtown Pier...
    [​IMG]

This is After Hurricane Sandy...
    [​IMG]

Harrison's Surf Club before...
    [​IMG]

Harrison's Surf Club after...
    [​IMG]

Mantoloking Bridge...
    [​IMG]
  19. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Also, I texted CTDave to see if he was OK. Here's his response...

20. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Here is the e-mail I got from YF's Ed @ NYCapt123.

Really nice of you to think of us. Must say I’m feeling a bit of survivor’s guilt. We came through with nothing more than a few branches down, when only a few miles from here there is utter devastation and lives lost.

I’ve ridden out many hurricanes in my life, including Andrew when I lived in So. Florida. This was a weird one. It’ll go into the history books as the worst hurricane to hit the Northeast since 1938, and possibly since forever. The winds and rain weren’t bad at all, but it came in from a direction they just don’t come from, and it came on the exact worst day, the exact worst time and very close to the exact worst place. Full moon, high tide, just below NYC. The death toll has topped 100 and is still climbing. The destruction along the coasts of NY/NJ will take years to clean up and rebuild, and everyone knows how patient New Yorkers are (zero patience). Right now we’re dealing with gas lines everywhere that stretch for miles, and very short tempers. Most of the refineries and storage facilities are down in Jersey, and shut. That situation should be remedied within the next week or so thankfully as they’re bringing gas to storage facilities out east, and NY harbor just reopened.

So we have a lot to be thankful for, and a lot of folks to be prayed for.