Click for YF Listing Service Click for Nordhavn Click for Furuno Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Mulder

Hurricane Sandy in the northeast

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by CTdave, Oct 27, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. kkreicker1

kkreicker1 Senior Member

I know it is not the same as down on the cost. I have been through 15 or so hurricanes in my time in FL. I have even spent some on my boat (stupid idea). But in the Spring, Summer, and Fall I live in Saugatuck, MI. From this storm we are looking at close to 20 foot waves. That in its self can be kind of scary.

Thank god my house is up high and I have a generator and a large wine collection. This could be a bumpy week here on the Great Lake Michigan!

Marine Point Forecast for Latitude 42.69N and Longitude 86.37W

Keith
  2. rgsuspsa

rgsuspsa Member

Port authorities typically require all vessels to leave port twenty-four hours or more prior to arrival of a hurricane. The purposes are to avoid vessels breaking away from moorings, vessels sinking in port, or vessels sinking in the channel during the hurricane. Any of these potential events would have catastrophic effects on a seaport.
  3. Berean

Berean Senior Member

Yeah I get that. But the capability of the vessel, it's position relative to the storm and route to safe egress should also be taken into account. So specific to this case I wonder if the intended route around the storm was realistic based on her speed, etc. understanding all the while that storms can vary from forecasted predictions. I would think the risk to the lives of the crew trump port protocol.

It may turn out that the intended plan to sail was entirely reasonable at the time of departure. In the end however, the result was tragic.
  4. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

I heard a news report on TV that the Bounty had lost her steering. Without the ability to steer, she was taking seas over the deck and shipping enough water that the pumps couldn't keep up.
  5. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

The HMS Bounty Facebook page has some interesting posts over the past few days, incl one where they are talking about squeezing between the storm and the coast. Cape Hatteras isn't called a graveyard for no reason...

I guess heading south on the west side would have given them a good push instead of beating on the east side. That s a gamble they lost.
  6. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

7. Berean

Berean Senior Member

8. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

9. RER

RER Senior Member

The captain is a good candidate for the Darwin award. It's unfortunate that he also put fifteen other souls in harm's way.

From CBC Nova Scotia...

McCann (the captain's wife) told CBC News she hadn't slept since she received word the ship was taking on water. She said her husband, Captain Robin Walbridge, was trying to get around Hurricane Sandy en route to Florida.

Robin Walbridge, captain of HMS Bounty, is missing at sea. (HMS Bounty website) "He was just trying to avoid it, skirt it. Skirt through it, skirt around it," McCann said earlier on Monday.
  10. discokachina

discokachina Senior Member

This is how it looked in Fort Lauderdale this morning well after the storm had passed.

floodlas.JPG

Imagine a few more inches, no I mean just several feet of storm surge, not to mention 10 or 20 feet like some folks could experience tonight, and a good portion of Fort Lauderdale would be under water! :eek:

Can you spell Global Warming?!?!?!
  11. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

Old Florida saying

Sell land at low tide!
  12. Yachtjocky

Yachtjocky Senior Member

Sea anchor

I wonder how you are so certain there was no sea anchor on board. ?.

And it is kind of obvious that the HMS Bounty was not a "power vessel"

I would also like to know how many "power vessel's" go to sea with a sea anchor, are you including ships, tugs etc in that statement.

At least wait until the real facts are known before jumping to conclusions, from what is known so far the captain did go down with his ship, so to speak which can not be said for a certain other Captain.
  13. mwagner1

mwagner1 Senior Member

Gosh, my thoughts and prayers go out to all in the storm's path.....

Cheers,
  14. carelm

carelm Senior Member

Disco,

Here is a website you can run simulations on the effects of rising sea levels on a given area. You can select the area and then run impacts of 1M differences.

Flood Maps
  15. Rene GER

Rene GER Senior Member

16. CaptEvan

CaptEvan Senior Member

reports??

So how did everyone fare with the extended blow in the NE, especially those along LIS?

In spite of forecasts of 55kt gusts and up to 33' waves, Lake Michigan's southern buoy reported 22' as the tallest and 46kt gusts, so no records here.

Evan
  17. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

From the pictures I ve seen, there is extensive damage to boats and marinas along the LI south shore and up the Hudson. Floating docks washed away and worst, hundreds of boats floated off the stands by the surge.
  18. discokachina

discokachina Senior Member

Thanks for sharing this one, totally awesome tool, very scary results for some areas where I have family and friends.
  19. carelm

carelm Senior Member

I ran some simulations of the NJ barrier islands and NYC at 5M and they showed extensive damage which is what was reported as a result of Sandy. I also ran some of south FL, the Chesapeake Bay and the New Orleans area and they were pretty scary as well. In FL, most of the Everglades would be under water as well as Cape Coral some other beach cities. A good part of MD's southern Bay area would be under water, mostly on the Eastern Shore. As for New Orleans, you could kiss it goodbye at 5M.
  20. CaptEvan

CaptEvan Senior Member

What amazes me was their ability to track the path so accurately. History would say otherwise, but this was right on, including her timely turn inland and then north again on schedule with predicted delays of movement.

Incredible images of damage now available (did not want to post links)