Click for Mag Bay Click for Burger Click for Northern Lights Click for Furuno Click for MotorCheck

Hurricane Sandy in the northeast

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by CTdave, Oct 27, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

Is everyone in hiding or did I miss a post?
    Everyone up here is bracing for what they are calling a storm of "epic porportions".
    No, we won't be getting 150 mph winds but what has our attention is the duration and projected storm surges. Winds are predicted to be 50 mph with gusts over 75 but it's supposed to last for 48 hours!!
    Landfall projections put it just south of here which means we will be on the strong side & easterly wind will be piling the water up in the sound.
    The only thing they have to compare this to is "The Perfect Storm". The only thing different is that the perfect storm had a tropical depression component & it didn't come ashore. This has a cat 1 & it's headed right for us:eek:
    What is really getting my attention is the fact that we have a moon tide Monday night on top of a projected 8'+ surge coming to Long Island Sound. The marinas are working 24/7 hauling boats, hotels have been booked since Tuesday & everyone is running around like it's the end of the world!
    The weather folks & utility companies are warning about power outages lasting days & weeks. We are in the woods here but the last two big storms hopefully took out the weak ones.
    I saw what must have been 100 utility trucks in several convoys coming up I-95 from out of state over a 30 minute period today so I guess the cavalry is coming early!

I am on a "stand by" list to haul my 50 Hatteras. When T.S. Irene came through last year, many of the marinas had about 3' left on the pilings for all the floating docks. I'm getting really worried about this one.
    I'll have camera in hand & will try to post when I can.

Sandy appears to be a nasty ***** for sure!

Best,
    David
  2. discokachina

discokachina Senior Member

Good luck!

Our thoughts are with you all!!
  3. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

on the south shore of Long Island, there is lots of concern, including some pretty old salts.

today's (Sunday Oct 28th)morning high tide was over the top of the bulkhead and it seems to be taking its time on the way out, not good, the storm is still more thatn 24 hrs away.

I pulled all my boats out and now I am actually concened that they might float off the blocks if we get that 5-10 feet surge. In hindsight, i might have been better off riging out the surge in the water....not sure, just second guessing myself.

good luck, stay dry

RT46
  4. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

5. aviator4512

aviator4512 Member

Dave,

Our family pulled our Sea Ray Sedan Bridge for the season a couple weeks ago, but I know of a friend with a 40' Luhrs and another friend with a 50' Viking both staying in the water at Pilots Point in Westbrook, CT. They are throwing extra lines and fenders but are very concerned with the water levels anticipated. As a Florida resident and having see many overly-hyped storms, I hope that this storm will follow suit. I noticed Pegasus V and some other large yachts are seeking refuge in NYC. Let us know how you make out and good luck!

Regards,

Ryan
  6. Berean

Berean Senior Member

All you guys up in the mid-Atlantic area are in our thoughts and prayers!
  7. Ormond Bert54

Ormond Bert54 Senior Member

She's tied up in Galesville MD ... nose into the wind ... lines are holding her a few feet from the dock. Praying.

Attached Files:

8. discokachina

discokachina Senior Member

My sister in Norfolk has already lost power with the worst yet to come she says.

Already lots of local flooding above what they normally have so tomorrow's high tide is not going to be pretty.
  9. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

I fixed the picture for you, but I can not fix the flybridge enclosure...
  10. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

Right. Take that thing down ASAP as well as all the upholstery on the bridge.
  11. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

12. carelm

carelm Senior Member

The Long Island Sound could get real dicey as well with the 5-10 foot surge you mentioned. There's really no place for all that water to go.
  13. Liberty

Liberty Senior Member

Good luck all.

Our thoughts and wishes are with you.
  14. Berean

Berean Senior Member

15. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

They might have been trying to run south of the system and got caught short.
  16. lwrandall

lwrandall senior member

Word from the news the Bounty was trying to do exactly that. Out run the storm on its way to Florida, but obviously they couldn't . The crew abandoned ship into life boats. Coast Guard says they have rescued 14 of the 17 crew so 2-3 are missing.
  17. jhall767

jhall767 Senior Member

The ship left Connecticut last week for Florida. They are saying they tried to dodge the storm. I saw on their blog last night they were heading due east to try to go around it. I guess that failed and they tried to run through it. According to their web site the boat was powered by two 375 hp John Deere engines. Not a lot to push a 400 ton 100' sailing vessel through a storm.

I've heard the argument about putting to sea when a storm is approaching but this seemed more like "go-fever" due to their schedule to be in Florida. They ran into the storm instead of away from it.
  18. Berean

Berean Senior Member

Re: HMS Bounty
    14 rescued this am, still two missing!

I'm not really getting why they left port (Conneticut). I know more facts will come to light but at this juncture there are serious questions about the judgment of the crew...
  19. lwrandall

lwrandall senior member

Latest news on The Bounty is that she has gone down. So sad the two crew members are still missing.
  20. kkreicker1

kkreicker1 Senior Member

This is very true! Down in FL we take down all Isinglass and store it below deck. Wind can rip that right off.