Click for Comfort Click for Furuno Click for MotorCheck Click for Burger Click for Perko

Hurricane Dorian Relief; Green Turtle Cay & Marsh Harbor

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Irish Wake, Sep 3, 2019.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

We re loading the boat tomorrow and hope to head to Green Turtle Saturday morning.

I have talked to a gentleman with Basra Freeport who is hopeful he can get us clearance. Sent him manifest and details this morning. Hope we can go straight and not have to stop at West end where supplies will languish for days.

By going straight to GTC we can also provide water from our WM assuming we can dock somewhere

We ll see how it turns out.
  2. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

If you need additional supplies that I may expedite to you, please let me know. I have an additional tender in central FL that I've been trying to figure out how to give to the effort for local transportation between islands. Timing won't work for that, but with my tub up north, I'm looking to support reliable and direct efforts.
  3. Scott M

Scott M Member

Way to go Pascal and kudos to your owner. I wish I was there to help you.
  4. discokachina

discokachina Senior Member

Pascal, you are a gentleman and a scholar!! Thanks for your efforts and leadership!!

I will just throw this out there as food for thought for people going to the Bahamas to provide liquids like water from their water makers, gas for all the chainsaws, generators, etc that on their way. It occured to me that with the total devastation there may not be enough appropriate containers for liquids that are sanitary or compromised. I have read that in past relief efforts yachts have carried bladders and/or plastic storage tanks for the liquids they are providing.

Please let us know what what the conditions are like when you arrive.

Safe travels!!
  5. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I just drive the boat :)

We re also packing 2 cycle oil for the chainsaws as well extra cans of gas on the top deck.

One ironical thing in this disaster is that there are many people advocating not bringing water bottles to protect the environment. I m not making this up. Some loonies claim Bahamians know how to make drinking water out of salt water within generators and watermakers. Crazy. Personally I know that when I crack the seal on a bottle of Evian... the water is pure. I don’t have to worry about how clean the reusable jug was.

I guess we have to make sure we don’t bring any beef jerky...god forbid it will create more hurricanes.

And no, I promise... we re not bringing plastic straws :)
  6. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

Once it gets to the point of rebuilding, I'm wondering who to contact regarding the Bahamian people needing builders? I've been building in FL, CT and in the Hamptons in NY for over 30 years and am interested in helping. Building supplies could be shipped and I can either bring crews down or work with as many local trades/labor as they can spare.
  7. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

8. jsschieff

jsschieff Senior Member

Good for you Pascal and everyone involved with your help to Green Turtle.
  9. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Way to go Pascal!!!
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  10. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

Now that’s stepping up!
  11. GhostriderIII

GhostriderIII Senior Member

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  12. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Did you look at the date of the first article you linked to? I'd suggest doing so. Not exactly relevant to today's situation. Now the second article is relevant but no indication any of it has reached the water.
  13. olderboater

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE. September 7th 2019.

We have had over 70 vessels arrive in the marina today at Old Bahama Bay thanks to the efforts of our team here on the ground in the United States. Until civility and order can be achieved I am here by shutting down operations to OBB Marina. Old Bahama Bay is a privately owned marina and if need be we will turn vessels away. We feel this is the most humane way to continue our operations as we do not want our volunteers staff or country men in the Bahamas, to encounter any accidental harm. Please do not arrive at Old Bahama Bay until further notice thank you.

John MacDonald, President
    Old Bahama Bay Resort and Yacht Harbour.
  14. olderboater

15. GhostriderIII

GhostriderIII Senior Member

Sorry first one passed along without me doing proper checking.
    Booms are in place around the tanks - say my boots on the ground at Statoil
  16. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Many overhead photos in the other thread show oil in the water.
  17. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

So, the American boats bring Dorian supplies will have to register in elsewhere, probably NAS? This must be the NEMA control others are posting about. Have talked to some here that are getting supplies together for delivery by private boats to the Abaco Cays, that might not happen if the process gets to complicated.
  18. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Really what needs to be done, is the Bahamian Defense Force needs to secure a section on each island, where they can keep the peace and things civilized, and allow people to pull up in boats and simply drop the goods off and the defense force can distribute them to people in line. But, this hasn't happened as far as I know and it just sounds like total chaos.
  19. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

Just read on Bahama gov site they have necessary resources on the Abacos and Grand Bahama, 900 personnel along with numerous British and Americans, for safety and security. I like your idea, Bahamians should be in control, it is their country. Any boats going over could pre-clear here before leaving to expedite off loading there. Easily done nowadays.