Click for Burger Click for Northern Lights Click for Westport Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Abeking

Hurrican No Name hits New England?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by cleanslate, Oct 17, 2019.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

Winds pretty strong around here today, South Jersey . But I heard on the news today Cape Cod area was getting gusts in the 90's today and 7o's tonight . My buddy in Mass told me 4 boats broke loose from moorings and reportedly one is a total loss. I don't what type or size of boats, but they are getting their butts kicked up there.
    Hold tight YF new englanders !
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

None of the stations around Cape Code and southern New England, even Nantucket are reporting anything over 50kts in the last 24 hours... I got curious after hearing rumors and looked.. 55kts is the highest I can find
  3. Oscarvan

Oscarvan Senior Member

Spent the night in a camper van in a friends driveway in Plymouth MA..... aside from the AK47-esque sound of the acorns hitting my roof and the recycling can ending up in the neighbors yard there was no real damage. Oh yes, the power went out.
  4. motoryachtlover

motoryachtlover Senior Member

Up here near Montauk and don’t know the wind speed but it was blowing hard especially Thursday night. The car ferrys to and from Shelter Island were rocking and rolling and throwing heavy spray over the cars. At the hotel we are staying that is right on Long Island sound the waves were large to say the least and the chairs blue down this long deck during the night.
  5. Riknpat

Riknpat Senior Member

A nor'easter turned into a 'bomb cyclone'. This occurs when the air pressure drops 24 millibars in 24 hours (about 3/4 of an inch). In the event winds throughout New England, Quebec and the Maritimes were gusting to 65 mph and rainfall was up to 2 inches in some areas. On the Canadian side about 150,000 are without power. Don't know about New England. Not a Hurricane though.
  6. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

Just off the Greenwich CT coast, the Long Island Sound weather buoy showed 50mph gusts as of 12:00 a.m. this morning. It got a little more intense and the trees started falling. Our road lost power due to a large Oak and hundreds more lost power around town but 75% are back online as of 6:00 this evening. I went to the marina around 11:30 last night and even in a well protected harbor, the west wind was kicking up 3' seas crashing over the perimeter of the floating concrete docks. The boats were rocking and aside of a few minor issues, we fared well. Kudos to everyone being there to prep for the storm earlier. Just around the point, Belle Haven has a couple of sailboats broken free of moorings and up on the rocks in bad shape.