Click for Westport Click for Furuno Click for Glendinning Click for Mulder Click for Westport

Hull to Deck Joint Construction

Discussion in 'Ocean Yacht' started by 45SS, Oct 4, 2019.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. 45SS

45SS Member

Does anyone know how the hull and deck are joined on a 1997 45SS? On my last boat which was a Silverton it was like a shoebox that was through bolted and caulked. It really helped dry the boat out when I recaulked that joint. My Ocean gets a fair amount of rainwater in the forward bilge area so I'm wondering if it would benefit from a similar repair.
  2. captholli

captholli Senior Member

Plexus methacrylate and stainless steel screws to secure and hold for the curing process would be the construction method used on a 1997 Ocean Yachts hull / deck cap joint, Flybridge to cabin trunk joint , covering boards to hull etc. Surprising how many fiberglass modules are connected to this day with methacrylate and high performance polyurethane adhesives. Automotive industries have embraced these adhesives to the point where Porsche basically glues the 911 and Tycan together with what looks to be a 50/50 % between welds and adhesives.
  3. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

Not surprised.
    I once owned a rather large sign company. It was not uncommon for us to glue aluminum panels together so we didn't distort the face. These glues were/are amazing.
    My new EZ2CY enclosure that's currently in build uses glue to bond the acrylic to the Stamoid. My old one served me well for 20 years .
  4. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

You are right it has a shoebox joint. Could be that joint seal or the pulpit/windlass/anchor locker area. Looked at a similar age 48 Ocean that had high moisture readings and coring problems in the bow area.