Click for Glendinning Click for Delta Click for Burger Click for Northern Lights Click for Nordhavn

Huckins Yachts

Discussion in 'Huckins Yacht' started by YachtForums, May 18, 2004.

1. mabruteam

mabruteam New Member

Huckins yacht fish 65 paint job and refit

You are right, dark hulls will show every detail.. we are planing to add interprotect 2000e on the complete hull, above and below the water line, then block sand to remove most of the imperfections and voids, prime and paint.
    We did this to a Vicem yacht few years ago and the results were outstanding.
    I like the open aft deck, is like having a large mezzanine on a sport fish, I will keep the nonskid, teak is wonderful but I do not want to add any weight.
    The engine side raw water hose will be replaced by blue silicone, and a stainless bracket will be fabricated to hold it in place. the helm seats are all getting replaced, floors got reinforced with aluminum plates.

I do not like to see the exposed wood (picture) interior bilges/ transom, any recommendations? can I epoxy all that are also with Interlux Interprotect, then sand and paint

Attached Files:

2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

All of that interior is already covered in some epoxy. It could be very time consuming in trying to fair it in. However, it would look wonderful.
  3. mabruteam

mabruteam New Member

65 Huckins yacht fish brochure

Original brochure 65 Huckins

Attached Files:

4. PSparrow

PSparrow New Member

All that is Huckins

This is my first reply on the forum although I have been following various threads for about a year and a half, especially the Huckins responses.
    Congratulations to Mabruteam on your purchase!
    I had purchased SiGo last February, but our deal fell through at the 11-1/2 hour.
    She is a lovely boat in need of an Owner, (soon). She still has me thinking about her.
    So in March I purchased "Two's Enuff".
    She is a 1961, 53' Linwood "Special".
    Epoxy and glass on ALL outside surfaces from the factory. She is a little tired
    cosmetically but otherwise in great shape.
    Located in Texas, I need to bring her home to Lake Ontario, just outside of Toronto.

Attached Files:

5. mabruteam

mabruteam New Member

SiGo Huckins

Congratulations PSparrow, your Huckins Two's Enuff got very nice lines..
    the sad part is that we should see more pictures..
  6. mabruteam

mabruteam New Member

Attached Files:

7. vikingsabre

vikingsabre New Member

Update on Huckins purchase

This is a quick update on my purchase of a 1962 46' Huckins Sedan. I did this in 2012 and she has been under serious restoration at Cove Landing Marine, Lyme, CT until last Spring and then undergoing various mechanical and electrical work over the summer. My wife and I spent the summer aboard and managed to get a little underway time.
    She is a gem, of course! Having grown up on a 52' Huckins built for my step-father in 1948 I've wanted one all my adult life. Now in my older-age I have one and all the wonder of Huckins I felt as a young lad has returned.
    The posted picture is us underway on the CT river -a bit silly, but the wish for a Merry Christmas and New Year is sincere.

Best,

George

Attached Files:

8. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Hello All
    Josie and I wish Everybody a wonderful Christmas and safe holiday season.

Tied on a Huckins dock,
    Ralph & Josie

M/V JoeSea
  9. Lawrenc

Lawrenc New Member

Hi all-

I lived aboard a Huckins (hull 78-436, Originally 'Princess Pat') (not a Fairform Flyer, sadly) at the Huckins yard during the end of her refit 2006-2008, and served as her Captain till the Old Man passed away and the family sold her (2112). She was Blue Eagle, but I believe her current owner renamed her 'Brena' (?).

I know a lot about the boats- I've always been a Huckins fan, and living in the yard was a real treat for someone with the 'looking-at-boats' disease.

I also knew 'Charlotte Lady' pretty well and her twisted tale. And I was onboard 'Dry Martini' a few times doing some electrical work when I lived on Long Island.

This is a great thread, with a lot of good information, but there's one point I'd correct-

the second post in the thread states "first they made PT Boats, then they made them Fairform Flyers...". That's actually backwards- IIRC, the Fairform Flyer (aka the Quadraconic Hull) was built by Huckins since 1928. In 1940, Frank Huckins brought his boat to the US Navy's 'Plywood Derby' in the waters of Block Island Sound. Based in Melville RI, at what today is the NEB yard, this was a competition for the design of the Navy's new PT boats between Elco, Higgins, and Huckins.

The Huckins won handily, but presented with the need for five hundred boats, Huckins would be unable to build them, as their current rate of production was then about a boat per year. Frank Huckins licensed his Quadraconic hull design to the USN, and Huckins produced only 18 of the 500 hulls.

Excepting a return from the use of his design (he had licensed it for US$1.00), Frank Huckins made a total profit of US$28.60 from it.

(the above is my recollection of the tale as told to me by Pembroke Huckins, Frank's son and Cindy Purcell's dad. any errors are mine).

But suffice to say, they made the Fairform Flyer first, THEN the PT boats.

Fair winds, Following Seas, all that nautical stuff-

Lawrence
  10. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Hi Lawrenc

You had a black cat?

,rc
  11. Lawrenc

Lawrenc New Member

Indeed- that'd be MrMoffit, who's internet famous :)

[​IMG]
  12. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Well your Mr Moffit and our Spot watched each other every day & night while you laid on the C dock at Ortega Landings Marina a couple of years ago. We were on the B dock. We missed you & Mr Moffit last visit, at Huckins last year. Maybe the ship had already changed hands but not name.

I call her Spot just to puss her off.

I'll have to start a kat thread soon.

,rc

Attached Files:

13. Lawrenc

Lawrenc New Member

Boat Cats rock- Dock Cats too.

MrM had a grand old time kicking cat butt at Huckins- he was cutting quite a swath through the feral yard cats- till he tangled with the funny looking cat with the banded tail and the bandit mask!
  14. Lawrenc

Lawrenc New Member

here's a few Huckins, just to get back on topic- I'll have to dig through my archives for a few more:

Moria in Deering Harbor (Shelter Island)
    [​IMG]

Breakaway (off the dock at Huckins, waiting for the bridge)
    [​IMG]

I'm drawing a complete blank on this one- about 60nm off South Carolina, 06MAY2008
    [​IMG]

and of course, Blue Eagle- Sag Harbor, Summer 2009:

[​IMG]

Huckins Logo is a Mermaid- this is our personal Mermaid in a photo I made for the Old Man's Birthday:

[​IMG]
  15. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

16. RER

RER Senior Member

Looks like POCO MAS
  17. Lawrenc

Lawrenc New Member

YES!

****- that was driving me crazy. She is, indeed, Poco Mas.

Thanks!
  18. mabruteam

mabruteam New Member

huckins Linwood Two's Enuff for sale on ebay??

1961 Huckins Linwood Special
    Used for sale on ebay..$54000!!!
    Here are some pictures

Attached Files:

19. mabruteam

mabruteam New Member

Huckins 1971 65 hull #406

More pictures

Attached Files:

• -10.jpg
      -10.jpg
      File size: