Click for Nordhavn Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger Click for Perko Click for Ocean Alexander

Huckins Yachts

Discussion in 'Huckins Yacht' started by YachtForums, May 18, 2004.

1. RB480

RB480 Senior Member

Anybody know anything about the 1970 Huckins 65 Offshore "402"? I am in the process of trying to find out some history on her.

The restoration and up keep is incredible on the vessel. The boat is very close to flawless.
  2. Wl3175

Wl3175 Member

I know the captain very well she is in immaculate condition and no exepence has been spared on her . This captain was involved in her last major refit at Huckins about 5 years ago and has been maintaining her ever since.I was on board her only yesterday where she is stored
  3. RB480

RB480 Senior Member

I was actually on board her yesterday as well! I believe we spoke on the phone today.
  4. Wl3175

Wl3175 Member

Ah yes we did ha ha .

Small world . She has generated a bit of interest in Chicago already
  5. maldwin

maldwin Senior Member

The previous owner was a doctor, and she was called MEDICATION, homeported in Fort Pierce. 402 is also her hull number.
    Best,
    Maldwin
  6. maldwin

maldwin Senior Member

Huckins at Mystic

Huckins wil be the featured brand at the Mystic Seaport annual classic show July 27-28. This is a great show with a parade, well worth the trip for classic enthusiasts.
    Best,
    Maldwin
  7. sailusvi

sailusvi Member

Great thread with a wealth of info! I have been studying Huckins yachts for awhile now. The 1971 56' Huckins Linwood has caught my eye, I really like the lines (Chris Craft-ish). I'm only guessing here so help me, the 1971 year model "may" have potentially less hull problems due to the nature of the build? Thoughts or comments on this beauty?

Regards,
    Robert
  8. chuckb

chuckb Senior Member

"Other" construction

I think 1971 was still wood covered with glass from the waterline down. The factory will know for sure.
  9. sailusvi

sailusvi Member

Thanks Chuck
    Yes, I found that out. Is the difference being that is was designed and built that way from the factory in 1971 verses the older models, where they were glassed over at a later time ?
  10. chuckb

chuckb Senior Member

Glass over wood

My understanding is that the glass over wood started in the 60's, and that the majority of Huckins out there were launched with that construction. I assume you're looking at Hull #404 (found it in the Huckins Legacy book, published 1998), she was with the original owners then, and seemed to be well cared for.
  11. sailusvi

sailusvi Member

12. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

I spent about an hour on the phone with the listing broker today giving him information on the boat and correcting a couple of errors in the listing. Sent him a handful of photos and offered my time to him or any prospective buyer or real buyer to fill in any blanks about her. I'm absolutely biased about the matter, but I agree with you about her lines and think this particular Seafarer 64 may be one of the best looking designs Huckins had.

If I was in a position to rescue her I'd do it in a heartbeat, not just for sentiment but because she really is a great boat. That's just too much project for where I am in the current economy however.
  13. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

It's a photo of a photo, but here's Si-Go in her prime years:

Attached Files:

14. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

Glass over wood started in the 1950s. Si-Go was one of the earliest to be glassed at the factory, but I don't know for sure which hull was the very first first.
  15. Ed Kelly

Ed Kelly New Member

My hull #395 was built in 1968 and was glassed at the factory. Entire hull and house is factory glassed and interior of the hull is epoxy coated.
  16. RB480

RB480 Senior Member

Here is "402" plying the Great Lakes.

Attached Files:

17. vikingsabre

vikingsabre New Member

I wrote in Dec. I was thinking about Downwind, a 46' and have since been up to see her. She is shrink-wrapped and not easy to climb around, but I got a fairly good feel for her and have a 100 questions, of course. I also looked at a Huckins 40' in Ft. Walton Beach Fl. which I have passed on. I am going back to CT. when the boat is uncovered and I can see her under better conditions. All I have heard about her are positive comments, which is good.

I grew up on a 52' Oceanic built for my step-father in 1948. With a full time captain and winter steward she was a yacht well loved and cared for in a fashion I can't offer to any boat. But I was infected with the Huckins bug and as I head to 66 I figure its now or never. Bagarre is now in Calif. and has undergone major changes none of which I can see as positive. But she's someone else's boat now. At least she is still running.

Any information on Huckins is welcomed by me. I'll keep this forum posted.

George
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  18. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

Cindy Purcell, granddaughter of Frank Pembroke Huckins has recently embarked on a journey to visit every Huckins that survives.

The journal of this endeavor will be available on their Facebook page (where I read of it) and on HuckinsYacht.com

I'll be interested to follow.
  19. vikingsabre

vikingsabre New Member

Seafarer or anyone else... Any information on A 50' Huckins Atlantic named Sea Wagon. She in in CT. I'm told she is in very good shape, though a but pricy.

Cindy and Buddy will be in Mystic at the end of July for the classic boat gathering.
  20. maldwin

maldwin Senior Member

I think the 50 Atlantic is a very nice model. This one was built in 73 so she was epoxied and glassed from new, which means the bottom is more likely to be sound. If she still looks as good as the photos I would call her a good buy.
    The 46 may be a good buy, although I prefer the styling as well as the good separation of the staterooms and the 2 salons on the Atlanti.
    Condition is more important than purchase price in these boats. What did you not like about the boat in Ft Walton Beach?
    Best,
    Maldwin