Click for Abeking Click for MotorCheck Click for Burger Click for Nordhavn Click for Glendinning

Huckins Yachts

Discussion in 'Huckins Yacht' started by YachtForums, May 18, 2004.

1. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Yep, nice to look at but not for me either. Master state rooms still have two single beds in most of them.
    F.M.
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Well, She's on the hill getting a new name again.
    Still a great looking ship.
    Getting 3,4th hand stories, lets say rumors, she had to sell quick.
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Oh, New name;
    What The Huck
  4. Saltwatergirl

Saltwatergirl New Member

My husband and I are heading to WI to look at the 1962 56’ Corinthian Springtide (ex Fremont). Any information folks may have on the boat would be appreciated. Were told it has undergone a hull restoration/rebuild, but the boat has been on the hard for at least 3 years. Concern is the engines, which were rebuilt in 2003, may need another rebuild. Thanks!
  5. maldwin

maldwin Senior Member

I did the 2003 refit, and would be happy to answer any questions. PM ME.
    BEST,
    Maldwin
  6. Wl3175

Wl3175 Member

Sent you a PM I know the boat well also I looked after her while she was in chicago
  7. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

You've hit the jackpot of info on this one. I was also involved in the 2003 refit, which was performed to top standards. The boat was then maintained in the fashion of a super yacht for the remaining time in Maldwin's care.
  8. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

Wow! You're not kidding! Good luck Saltwatergirl. You pretty much have all you need to know to make a good decision. My boat I own now was also on the hard for three years. She started right up when launched. I think you will have the same luck from the boat's history.
  9. Saltwatergirl

Saltwatergirl New Member

Spent about an hour on the boat. Interior of the boat was lovely, but in need of heavy cleaning, as was the entire boat. Sadly, it had an air of neglect that made it hard to get excited about (especially at it's current price). It's been on the hard and in a shed since 2013. Engines look to be beyond "rebuild" and leaning heavily towards "replace". Apparently we are the first to look at the boat since it changed hands in 2017...current owner bought it, never put it in the water and has left it sitting. Boat has dried so much that the wood has shrunk in places and the awlgrip is cracking. Couple of HUGE chips of gel coat missing around the water line, right down to the fiberglass.

So we are going to keep looking. If the owner drops the price by six figures, we might reconsider, but right now, $288K seems awfully high for a neglected boat in need of new engines, new generator, probably new HVAC... But from what I heard, in his mind, the boat is worth what he's asking, despite it not having working engines.
  10. RER

RER Senior Member

So, the listing photos are at least six years old... and older. One shot of the transom has a third name on it besides the current and previous names mentioned in the listing. That's a bad selling strategy. Worse if the Owner's Agent does not disclose before a Buyer gets on an airplane. Overselling will get negative results about 100% of the time.

If it still makes sense for you I wouldn't hesitate to go in with a low ball offer. Sometimes Sellers have a light bulb come on in their head and well ...I've seen deals that I never thought would happen, happen.
  11. Saltwatergirl

Saltwatergirl New Member

Had a very long talk with the broker before we went to see it, so knew what the "deal" was with the boat and the pictures on Yachtworld. Some of the pictures were accurate representations, others, not so much! We are 'early' in our search, so we're going to take our time. Given we're the first to look at it in 2 years, there's a good probability it may still be on the market when we finally make a decision!
  12. Paradise

Paradise New Member

Saltwatergirl, did you ever buy the boat? I have a 1971 65' Huckins sport cruiser fairform flyer.
  13. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

Preface: Sorry for resurrecting this ten year old post.

The damnable shame here (beyond the mistreatments and ultimate destruction of this boat) is that it likely had a ton of useful spares for the current Si-Go restoration. I’m sure it all for dumpsters and/or scrapped. So sad.

14. Wl3175

Wl3175 Member

Don’t see any pictures ? Where is the boat and her name
  15. chriswufgator

chriswufgator Member

I have an accepted offer on a Huckins 64’ seafarer named Ellie Mae. She has been located in Miami for the past 6 or 7 years, prior to that she was in Jacksonville. I am looking for any information you may have on the boat. The price is attractive (for a Huckins). The boat was formerly “Slim”.

She is a 1964 but confusingly appears to be epoxy infused cold molded construction under fiberglass with epoxied bilges from the factory. I thought they didn’t start doing that until the 70’s, but after checking the Huckins book by 71 they had already switched to airex so apparently I don’t know as much as I thought I did. The boat was repowered in the early 2000’s with electronic 3176’s which I don’t like, but they appear to run well.

There is a recent out of the water survey with standard old boat findings, some leaking windows, rudder seals, hoses, nothing major. Minor cosmetics but seems in good shape. Any information you may have on the boat is much appreciated.

Who would you recommend in South Florida for a surveyor familiar with Huckins, and an engine surveyor familiar with cats?
  16. maldwin

maldwin Senior Member

Good Morning ,
    My recollection is they started that process in 1967.
    I would recommend Bill Gladding for the survey. He knows the boats well, having been a service manager at Huckins.
    Best,
    Maldwin
  17. chriswufgator

chriswufgator Member

Thank you! I shall call him today.
  18. Paradise

Paradise New Member

I have a 1971 Huckins 65' Sport Cruiser Fairform Flyer that I keep in Solomons Maryland. The boat's hull is also cold molded. I used Bill Gladding for the survey and found him very knowledgable. My last address is he lives in Fleming Island Florida. I recommend him. Good luck. Jeff.
  19. Paradise

Paradise New Member

I have a 1971 Huckins 65' Sport Cruiser Fairform Flyer that I keep in Solomons Maryland. The boat's hull is also cold molded. I used Bill Gladding for the survey and found him very knowledgable. My last address is he lives in Fleming Island Florida. I recommend him. Good luck. Jeff.
  20. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I remember Slim. She was captain maintained back then by one of the Holland brothers.
    She entertained often and was always a good looking ship.
    She laid at Huckins, then moved to Lambs and disappeared.
    If you call Huckins and talked to Cindy or Buddy, an education is to be had.

There is no other surveyor to call but Bill Gladding.
    He will remember Slim also.

https://www.huckinsyacht.com/
    https://gladdingmarinesurvey.com/