Click for Walker Click for Delta Click for Comfort Click for Abeking Click for Burger

How to diagnose PTO issue

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Danvilletim, Nov 25, 2019.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Danvilletim

Danvilletim Senior Member

Our port PTO connected to 53kw Mohler is not working. The back end of this gen set was removed and rebuilt and hasn’t worked since. All I know is when selected , nothing works. Suggestions? Who’s the best in Ft Lauderdale to help?
  2. captholli

captholli Senior Member

What is this PTO running? steering, thruster, stabilizers, davit etc. Does it have an electric clutch or solenoids for on & off / engage -disengage? Could be as simple as a fuse if electrically switched or could be something more. Plenty of all rounders in Lauderdale to work on it. You've had enough hiccups aboard between controls, steering and gens that I would have thought that you'd have found a reliable technical source for your vessel.
  3. Danvilletim

Danvilletim Senior Member

Good info... our engine guy doesn’t like PTOs.. Another company wanted to take it off to bench test it... which is a ridiculous effort before its diagnosed. It’s running thruster, stabs, and windlass.
  4. captholli

captholli Senior Member

So its electrically switched from the helms. Sterling Marine Hydraulics in Lauderdale is a good outfit and its owner Dale has 30 yrs plus of electro hydraulic under his belt. There are many company's as good as Sterling in Lauderdale also but I've used them the last 20 yrs or so and they've proven their worth many times over. Good contractors are always a personal preference.