Click for Walker Click for Burger Click for Cross Click for Mulder Click for Ocean Alexander

How do you replace a cylinder when running..?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by vlafrank, Apr 30, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Does just Marmot have that permission? Just asking because I happen to share his views on the subject and not going to be overwhelmed by a staged theatrical display. I don't see most people trusting a new manufacturer with a new product when there are established trustworthy engine builders. I also don't see investors running to jump into the latest "going to change the world of boating" plan.

I thought Marmot's points about engines that endure, that have proven records of longevity was very relevant to the discussion. And a serious manufacturer would put a substantial number of engines through tens of thousands of hours and present those results. Then the quick change feature might have some meaning. But lighter, more powerful, easier to replace parts don't mean anything if it won't last.

Calling his remarks "stupid and outlandish" doesn't strengthen your argument.
  2. kmb1949

kmb1949 New Member

Buck engine

Olderboater,
    Yes, I think the statement "those of us who want an engine that goes forever without breaking" is outlandish. And if you don't think it is then you certainly have a right to your opinion. And your statement "And a serious manufacturer would put a substantial number of engines through tens of thousands of hours and present those results." proposes that I wouldn't thoroughly test the designs before I introduced them to the market. That is an assumption on your part. Nothing I have said would lead any reasonable reader to that conclusion. On the contrary, my post have said that I don't consider any test reading as factual until it has been reproduced several times and in different test cells and in application testing for many months before certification, is only common sense. Only facts strengthen arguments, not outlandish statements or assumptions. If either of you wish to ask me questions I am happy to respond with the facts that I have witnessed or know to be true. No BS here, I've done everything I speak of. If I haven't done it or don't know it, I will say so. I am too old and too tired for BS.
  3. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Well, frankly I'd suggest thorough testing before all this touting of it. And I don't think it's outlandish to want an engine that will last forever. Yes, a little hyperbole but most of us understood.

Now, maybe I missed it but what is your role with this entity? Have you disclosed that? Seems like you're trying to advertise in this thread but maybe I'm misreading and you're just an independent supporter. Just you talk of "I" all the time. You just don't seem to like that everyone isn't buying your pitch.
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Thomas Edison's lightbulb is still on!
  5. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Yeah but I bet you can't replace the filament while it's on!
  6. SFS

SFS Senior Member

or buy it for much longer. I can't find any 100W, 75W, or 60W incandescent bulbs anymore. Guess I better learn to love the weird light that CFLs put off.

On the other hand, I won't miss the heat they put out. Life is a compromise.
  7. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

Could be that you are in the wrong Thread.

Then, again, you might not have been inclined

to purchase a boat from this man, when he was 16.

CCSmith.jpg
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Buy the CREE 2700K (color) LED lightbulbs at home depot. You cannot tell the difference between the light they give off and an incandescant lightbulb and you get full brightness instantly. A 60 watt equivalent uses 8 watts.....plus they last 25,000 hours versus 925 hours and have a 10 year no questions asked warranty and assembled in the US
  9. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

they have been banned worldwide, seems their manufacture was not polluting enough so a new process was developed.:D
  10. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

What is outlandish about that? An engine should be able to run without breaking something until it is worn out. Most adults who deal with mechanical devices know that anything and everything will eventually wear to the point where its performance demands rebuilding or replacement. Some machinery can be said to run "forever" if it outlasts the installation or application it serves.

Tell me you have something that will last forever, don't try to blow smoke up my transom and tell me how easy it is to fix when it breaks. I don't want to fix broken crap, I want it to not break before it wears out.

If you want to discuss outlandish, this thread and its brother provide a rich source of material.

Nah, you're doing just fine in that department.

Here is a link to group that will help you eliminate all the BS.

SwRI: Heavy-Duty (HD) Engine Benchmarking, Automotive Engineering

If the engine is all its is claimed, their results will be the best marketing tool you can buy. I look forward to reading the reports.
  11. kmb1949

kmb1949 New Member

Buck engine

At the risk of arguing with a fence post I will make one last attempt at a rational conversation. Anyone and everyone in this industry knows who South West Research is. At some point in the process the Buck designs will be tested and verified by a third party. I have not proclaimed or touted any amazing breakthroughs here, I have only provided what I have actually done or witnessed while designing and building this new engine. You took immediate exception to the .28 BSFC figure and since that post you have been in attack mode. This thread is about changing a cylinder and con rod while underway. I provided a video link that shows a new approach. You can believe what you see or not. It makes no difference to me.

As for you flogging the "engine that runs forever" idea, what about the recreational boater. My experience has been that preventive maintenance is a major issue with pleasure craft. I don't care if your engine is bullet proof, a shattered raw water pump impeller can lead to the destruction of any engine. You are offshore and an engine is overheating. You don't want to call Sea Tow because you aren't a member and you know what the tow bill might look like. So you keep heading to the dock. Maybe you just end up warping a cylinder head rather than sticking the engine. In the end you need a repair. You had an engine that was designed to run forever but it still needs a repair. Most marine engine issues are not the result of the engine design. I am old enough to know that S--- happens, so I have designed an engine that gets you back underway even when that S--- happens. Even the very people who service engines cause a lot of issues and problems. A Yanmar owner I know was having his 250 hour service performed and the mechanic adjusted the valves incorrectly. The result was bent valves, damaged pistons and so on. It took many weeks for this mistake to be rectified. With my designs everything could have been corrected in hours. Even brand new engines fail. Maybe it is the fault of the manufacturing process or maybe the owner was negligent. Wouldn't it be nice if in either case, the engine could be repaired quickly and easily without stressing everyone out?
  12. kmb1949

kmb1949 New Member

Buck engine

If anyone would like to discuss the Buck engine further, you can find my email address on the Buck Diesel web site.