Click for Cross Click for Delta Click for Northern Lights Click for YF Listing Service Click for Abeking

How do you avoid overloading mechanical engines?

Discussion in 'Engines' started by mapism, Dec 24, 2020.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

What EGT's are your C18's running at 80% load? The 1200HP V8 MAN's run EGT's right around 1250F at 80% load in 83F water.
  2. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

Mine are not that high. I usually run about 72-75 % load and the EGTs are around 900 if memory serves.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Thanks, was curious. The man v10-1100 CR's also run at 1250F at 80% load, both boats will hit 2350-2360 rpms WOT with full fuel/water.
  4. CaptPKilbride

CaptPKilbride Senior Member

Really? Of the multitude of reasons there could be for higher EGT you think it’s safe to assume that higher load could be the only causative factor?
    I think I am done here. Your superior intellect and unmatched experience will have to carry the day.
    Good Day, Sir.
  5. CaptPKilbride

Those EGT numbers match what I recall seeing from the same motors, the EGT numbers from the MMDS are taken before the turbo. Using the aviation EGT gauges with the thermocouple in the exhaust riser directly downstream of the turbo, in the mid 800’s, closer to the numbers @DOCKMASTER is reporting.
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I think you mean MMDS are taken after the turbo but before the aftercooler.
  7. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Whoa. Is that your way to debate with anyone who doesn't agree with you?
    Instead of suggesting me to open a new thread, you could have said right away that you don't give a d@mn about anything I might suggest, because you know you are right no matter what.
    You would have saved me the time from the beginning.
    Anyway, now that you have made your position clear, rest assured that I won't bother suggesting you anything else.

But just for the sake of this thread, your question is totally misleading.
    I never said that high EGT can ONLY be due to high load.
    What I said is that high load MUST generate high EGT, because there's no overfuel/overload to speak of, unless reflected in a higher than normal EGT.

In other words, of course a too high EGT can be due to more than one reason.
    But as long as you do NOT have a too high EGT, you are sure that you are NOT overloading an engine.
    Which is exactly the same thing that you want to check by spooling it up to WOT and see if it reaches the rated RPM.
    Anyway, if you prefer to run the boat at WOT after every trim adjustment, who am I to argue?
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2020
  8. mapism

mapism Senior Member

I hope CaptPK will not raise objections against my own intellect also when I am agreeing with him, because in this occasion he is correct.
    See abstract below from page 50 of the MMDS repair manual.
    [​IMG]
  9. mapism

mapism Senior Member

On second thought, CJ, weren't you possibly thinking of the boost pressure, rather than the EGT?
    The aftercooler has nothing to see with the hot side of the turbo, obviously.
  10. CaptPKilbride

@mapism that you would characterize this exchange as a “debate” speaks volumes. Something you might want to think about when you are pondering your resolutions for the New Year.
    Good Day!
  11. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Why, how would you qualify it?
    Mind, English ain't my mother tongue language, so it's a genuine question.
  12. CaptPKilbride

Let's just say that what was a pleasant conversation, with exchange of ideas and information, has been turned into a debate. And I don't come here for a debate.

https://bfy.tw/Q0Vp
  13. leeky

leeky Senior Member

Mapism, English is my mother language, and your use of the word "debate" is appropriate. It appears that CaptPKilbride thinks of a debate as a very heated discussion with yelling and shouting and name-calling. I was on the debate team in high school, and our debates were very polite, as you have been in this thread. You are not the one who was out of line here. I look forward to many more of your "debates." ;) You have lots of useful information.
  14. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Thanks leeky, but actually also CaptPK did contribute with useful information, which I appreciated.
    I don't mind some occasional "out of line" comments, to use your wording, as long as there are also factual contributions.
    Many of us boaters can be a bit grouchy, at times... :)
  15. leeky

leeky Senior Member

Always the diplomat,huh? :D
  16. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Let me put it this way: he said that he isn't here for a "debate".
    Well, neither am I. ;)
  17. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

So the MAN's take EGT's before the turbo. I wasn't aware of that. Thank you for the correction and photo's.
  18. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Yup, but that's only true of CRM engines, with the probes already installed for MMDS displays.
    In mechanical engines, there is a cap right before the flange where the exhaust pipe is attached, and that's where a MAN engineer suggested me to fit the probe, whenever I should decide to go for it.

Anyway, I don't think it really matters.
    Of course the pre-turbo temp has to be higher, but once you've got a sound baseline for either before or after temperatures through the whole RPM range, at the end of the day it's just a matter of checking the consistency and the lack of spikes.

PS: if you would like to get the whole MMDS manual, just drop me a PM, because it's too big to upload. I already sent it to another couple of forumites.
  19. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I remember replacing one of those EGT senders at the end of the exhaust log.
    Kept logging intermittent exhaust gas temp alarms.
    Took a first guess which one it was and rotated between the engines.
    Problem moved with the sender. Dam thing is expensive.
  20. MYTraveler

MYTraveler Member

Load %, at any given rpm is defined as the actual power demand (=power output) / maximum power available. Electronic engines infer actual power output from fuel consumption. Electronic engines do the math, but even with mechanicals, one can determine load % by knowing fuel consumption and referencing a chart.

More importantly, EGT peaks at max horsepower, but most engines reach max horsepower at a lower rpm than max rated rpm. The reason EGT drops is that fuel consumption PER REVOLUTION drops after max hp rpm, so the heat of combustion, per rpm also drops, but the volume of air that is absorbing that heat remains constant per rpm.