Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Nordhavn Click for YF Listing Service Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service

Holding Tank vs Treatment

Discussion in 'Hatteras Yacht' started by wsdemmer, Jun 19, 2011.

1. wsdemmer

wsdemmer New Member

I am currently in the holding tank mode but with the GM toilets the holding tank fills up pretty rapidly which means 4 carts to empty or move the boat to the pump out station. My Hatt is an extended 61 so I am wondering what most of you have done. I did a search on this forum but could not find any answers. What have you all come up with that works.
    thanks
    shane
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I'm no head expert and DK what a "GM toilet" is, but most places won't be thrilled with pumping overboard treated or not.
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

GM is Galley Maid which indeed use quite a bit of water

My preference in this case would be raritan hold n treat which will treat and discharge the content of the tank. More flexible than connecting the heads to it

Obviously it Depends on where you are. It s illegal in NDZ like the keys, LIS, new England harbors, etc... but it s legal and acceptable in most areas
  4. wsdemmer

wsdemmer New Member

I spoke with Galley Maid and Ernie said that since I was extended over 65' that I would have to do a type 2 system or risk inspection and someone knowing the rules and regs pretty well. Ernie said that the type 2 system adds acid to the final treatment and he considers it worse than the raw sewage that would be pumped out. He thinks that in 10 years all sewage will be to holding tanks. Still thinking about which way to go.
  5. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I looked into treatment for the 70 footer i run and unfortunately we couldn't legally use rarity hold n treat. The type II systems are also too big, those I found were almost 6' long making them very hard to install on most boats that size