Click for Burger Click for YF Listing Service Click for Walker Click for Comfort Click for Ocean Alexander

holding tank smell

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by larry curtis, Jul 4, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Dave Stranks

Dave Stranks Member

The Canadian Navy is using Noflex on a couple of ship's to stop and clean the buildup in the galley waste lines.
    sail boaters are using a little in the low parts of their keels to get rid of the stagnant bilge
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

We used to be able to use just about anything to deal with that but these days with biological sewage plants that need to use grey water to make up their liquid load we have a separate fat trap and can't use any chemicals that will affect the microbial action in the STP.

The photo is not on my current boat.
  3. Dave Stranks

Dave Stranks Member

Sounds like you are using a aeration system if you need make up water

In the Noflex case it's used before a F.A.S.T. MSD biological system
    They still have to clean the trap but just Noflex is used it for pipes from the galley. It enhances the biological system only a little most of the product is spent before hitting the tank .There are more FAST systems using an auto dosing machine to ad Noflex directly into the media tanks to remove the sludge with little or no effect on the bacterial growth usually enhancing it
  4. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Thanks, I will look into that product. Currently we use Gamazyne TDS to help keep the pipes clean but its no use against articles of clothing, coins, cleaning apparatus and other inedible things that appear in the Vac pumps. They have a clear end window for a reason.
  5. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

Recently bought some Zaal NoFlex to try. I've had no odors, the main purpose was to see if it would clean the tank sides. So far I've put in almost 1/2 the container and don't see any improvement on the sides & top of the tank in 2 weeks. So I just pumped everything out, put fresh water in and added more NoFlex. Will leave in for a week with no use and see what happens.
  6. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

That will be a useful report.

-Chris
  7. SeaLion

SeaLion Senior Member

What K1W1 said, and I also use a small amount of Tilex type cleaner occasionally, to remove any mold buildup. Be sure you have overboard drains, and they're not clogged.
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I haven't found anything that cleans the poly or plastic holding tanks that Cabo or other builders use that makes them see through again.

One owner had a guy that cleaned them with this special cleaner from Sealand and that helped quite a bit in cleaning the tank sides, but within a month they were dark again.
  9. Dave Stranks

Dave Stranks Member

With smelly bilges you can use Noflex sail boaters like it with their deeper keels .
    Chain lockers and small space like deck boxes I use Lysol or Pine cleaner in a spray bottle
    First you have to rinse with water I sometimes get a lot of clay and next time you drop the chain the dried stuff makes a mess on deck
  10. Seth Fisher

Seth Fisher Member

i've used Calgon Water softener in my waste water tank after a pump out. If i am going off somewhere on a run, I fill the tank with water and add a bottle of the softener. it tends to remove a lot of the sediment in the tank and line. Once you arrive at the destination, pump it out agin, rinse and repeat.
  11. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Anybody remember a thread that talked about making your own in line vent odor filter.
    Or remembers some Big Orange servicable odor filter?
    Thx
  12. timvail

timvail Senior Member

The home made vent filters can be found on u tube. The big orange filters i have used for sometime now and are refillable with charcoal when needed. Did not find alot of difference in price when adding up the supplies to build your own. Especially when buying the orange filter during the boat show price when they also supplied a free refill. \it comes in a few sizes as well We have i think the 14 inch long one. Bought it a while ago for under 70.00 dollars canadian. And yes we have a cold snap right now in our neck of the woods. minus 24 C.
  13. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

To make a long story longer,, working on an old Hatteras. Black tank vent hoses are 1 1/4". The only vents I can find are for 5/8 or 1 1/2" hose.
    Also, can not find Big Orange searching from my phone. They still in business?
  14. timvail

timvail Senior Member

yes they are. At the boat show in Toronto Canada right now. They can be reached at bigorangefilters.com
  15. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Just use a short piece of hose and a 1 1/2" to 1 1/4" hose barb to hose barb adapter...….
  16. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Reachable, serviceability, straight length of hose available; Going to make a difficult event harder with hose adapters on each end. But, the project is leaning this way,,,, some how...

F****ng 1 1/4" hose. Nobody but Hatteras uses it.
    F M..
  17. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Ralph, See if Sam's Marine has the vent filters that Hatteras used, that's probably the easiest remedy.
  18. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Brain fart.
    Sending them a note now.
  19. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Jeremy from Sams responded to my e-mail.
    Recommending to also splice in and adapt a Sea-land filter.
    No Hatt trick here.

Oh well, 1 1/2" Dometic filter on order.
  20. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

FWIW, near as I can tell, that filter is inherently 5/8" and then in a kit version it comes with adapters for 3/4", 1", 1½"...

But I only mention that in case it might be easier to adapt from 1¼" to one of those other sizes...

-Chris