Click for Mulder Click for JetForums Click for Burger Click for Delta Click for Mag Bay

HIN re-numbered yacht. Is it legal?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by SHAZAM, Nov 21, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

That's the other thing, I don't want to get in the middle of a broker getting a nearly $400k commission taken away. It's a $hit situation all the way around.
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Wow, that's a lot of assumptions. He's not your client nor employer. You don't know what the owner is or isn't aware of and you don't know the methods of the captain nor his relationship with the owner. It may be time to MYOB. Besides, you're the one who bought a 65' yacht without even knowing there was no master SR. Something tells me that you guys could match 'oopses' over many drinks.
  3. MaxPower

MaxPower Senior Member

u mean ... brutally direct .........

:D:D
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I was being (NY) subtle.:D
  5. MaxPower

MaxPower Senior Member

hahaha ... well said capn ...
  6. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

Good point! I took it for granted that there was a master, Regardless, I didn't have 7 figures on the line...
  7. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

But it's his 7 figures. If he can afford that I'd assume he has hired the advice he needs (surveyor, captain, lawyer, etc.). It's sort of like pointing out a ladies pimple. It's a nice thing to do so that she can put some makeup on it. Of course, if she already knows about it you've done nothing but embarrass her. Whether to point it out depends on how well you know the person and the situation and what the person already knows about the situation.
  8. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

Just curious

So, how did this situation evolve over the past two years?
  9. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

i dont think the USCG has anything to do with HIN numbers unless the HIN is reported on the Document.

Im pretty sure the HIN's are issued by the builder.
    I think the builder can change the HIN during production before the document or before the sale.

The USCG issue Document numbers.

USCG document number and year of boat goes by the date the boat is first started and not the finish date. it would be possible to buy a new boat in 2012 that has a USCG Document # and year from 2009.

The boat in the OP may be legit but i would be asking some questions and digging a bit deeper.
  10. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

New Yorkers still smack you in the face and it has little relations to if they are trying to get your money.:D
  11. david_japp

david_japp Senior Member

Not strictly relevant but approx 4 years ago I was about to buy a used Maserati Quattroporte. A few hours before I was about to pay and take delivery I was contacted by a Masertai main dealership saying the model year of the car I was about to buy had magor issues which were the subject of a redesign in subsequent models and ( what a surprise) they had a brand new unregistered but othetwise identical car that they could sell me for only £5000 more than the used car I was about to buy. I went ahead and bought the newer model but was contacted a few days later to be told the car I had bought had a manufacturer's recall. when I asked how it was possible for a brand new car to be recalled in this way I was informed the car was not in fact the current model but was an unregistered car that was in fact 4 years old - most surprisingly, it was in fact an older morel than the used model that I had been warned off buying. After threatening litigation I was offered a £10,000 rebate (which broufght the cost down below the cost of the used model) and the opportunity to buy a replacement car at cost within 3 years.
  12. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Buying Italian machines when there are German machines everywhere... :rolleyes:
  13. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Look up the USCG rules on HIN... The USCG has a lot to do with HINs! Yes they are issued by the builder but once issued they can not be changed without USCG approval which is hard to obtain.