Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger Click for JetForums Click for Westport Click for Abeking

High Voltage output from generator

Discussion in 'Generators' started by HaveADay, Jul 24, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. HaveADay

HaveADay Member

Today while out on the water (in very hot conditions) my wife came to the helm to report the air conditioning was off. I went down below to investigate and discovered several tripped breakers and both legs of the AC panel showing over 300v. I put a meter in what should have been a 110v outlet and measured 192v.

I'm thinking the voltage regulator failed in the generator. I have a Kohler 23eoz generator. I am surprised there wasn't a safety to shut down output or the generator motor when voltage swings that wildly. Anyone have any experience with this? Does this sound as simple as a failed voltage regulator? Should I have more service done on the generator or just replace the regulator and move on?

Thus far I've found some damage from the high voltage. It seems that some portion of my air conditioning is fried. The salon unit runs but the pump isn't running. The stateroom units seem to be entirely dead. Additionally, one of my battery chargers trips it's breaker as soon as the breaker is energized. I'm figuring this likely means the charger is toast.

Thanks
    Ben
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I would think it would have shut down on an error code. You have to determine if it's a governor issue and the engine is running too many rpms (should run 1800 rpms) or the voltage regulator on the back half is bad. I'm not 100% sure but I believe the number of windings determine the voltage on the back half.
  3. HaveADay

HaveADay Member

Agree, I'm very surprised it didn't shutdown with an error. Thanks for pointing out the potential issue with the governor.