Click for Mag Bay Click for Furuno Click for Nordhavn Click for MotorCheck Click for Westport

HF Radio....to Invest or Not?

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Nigel Oakey, Aug 11, 2019.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Oscarvan

Oscarvan Senior Member

Yup.... hate the darn thing. SELCAL checks are a royal pain with 10 airplanes trying to do it at the same time on one frequency.
  2. Charleston

Charleston New Member

Icom makes a classy 150 watt ssb unit, or, in these days of poor propagation which will last a few years, JRC has a 500 watt unit that'll set you back 15 - 18k, also a fine radio.
  3. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

Just saw a Dorian post, Barometer Bob in the Abacos monitors SSB 18 hours a day. Good intel for those that have SSB's and use it. Good site for the Bahamas.
  4. MYTraveler

MYTraveler Member

As I understand it, SSB equipment may be legally used if the operator has a ham license.
  5. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

Does anyone still monitor SSB for marine emergencies?
  6. d_meister

d_meister Senior Member

It's not something you can rely on. I tried to reach the USCG on every CG frequency from Cedros Island on the Baja one time and could not raise them. I finally radioed ATT High Seas (KMI, Point Reyes) to have them contact the CG with the situation (Stranded U.S. citizens).
    Another occasion a Captain friend tried to hail the C.G. on 2182 distress and got nothing there, or any other C.G. frequency. He then put out a Pan-Pan on 12A and my crew heard it in Acapulco. I responded and found out what was going on and called San Diego C.G. via SatPhone and got them together on working frequencies and finally got them to speak on 8A.
    It's also probably best not to have an emergency at midday, as radio propagation is worse, then. But, all of my emergencies tend to happen in the middle of the night just after my watch ends :(

As for a HAM license and SSB, you're right, MYTraveler. Thanks!
  7. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

We used SSB years ago fishing the GOM when out of VHF range. We could reach boats from the dock to check conditions and the bite. There was a fair amount of traffic with the rig supply boats off Tx and LA. Had two boats with ICOM SSB's. It was good to have a long-range emergency channel.
  8. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

I removed my SSB during winter projects. Just never got used and I carry a SAT phone for emergencies if out of VHF range. Not many folks using SSB anymore.