Click for Nordhavn Click for Mag Bay Click for Mulder Click for Perko Click for Delta

Help me spend 1.2 to 1.6 million on a yacht

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by thekellers, Nov 13, 2018.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Lazarra is notorious for all of the ceiling panels throughout the salon level and in staterooms falling down and many owners have had them already completely redone by the 10 year mark with new panels and new velcro. Lazzara was also famous for using a fabric on the walls with foam glued to it and that would all come off of the adhesive and need to be redone. I forget what product Tony Lazzara told me that they used on the walls that didn't end up working out in the long run as the foam would become unglued from the fabric. Then you also have the Lazzara gelcoat that never looked great or even remotely good on 95% of their boats. Then there are the cavitation issues on 90% of all of their boats, and premature broken motor mounts and snapped prop shafts because of it due to improper blade tip clearance and location of the underwater exhaust with it's $10k sort of a fix. They also would route multiple drains together and they'd clog up periodically. So yes, I do compare them to a Carver in quality. The problem was, despite these issues, they never changed the materials or design to get rid of the issues and just kept building them exactly the same.

Aside from these issues structurally and electrically they were ok. They did a good job at creating access to systems and used good systems. They did a phenomenal job at interior layout. Are very fuel efficient.
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

The ceiling panels are no big deal... pull them down, staple the veltex back on and put the panels back on. I ve been doing that as needed.

We did have to replace cracked shafts but having seen how the “rent a cap” drove the boat on sea trial, i dont blame Lazzara, I blame the idiot running the boat who thought it was cool to jam the controls forward as if he was driving a 20 footer.

After 9 years The hull gelcoat is excellent with a deep shine and no waving like so many European boats. The gelcoat above the windows isn’t as good but I blame the previous owners and the retailers they used as it is difficult to reach

Again, 27 months and over 1000 hours on the mains / 3000 hours on each genny... way beyond the typical usage
  3. Oscarvan

Oscarvan Senior Member

Fascinating discussion, although not germane to my situation. If that were my budget I'd be buying an old Hatt and spending most of it on making it perfect.

One thing caught my eye.... you're towing WHAT? At WHAT SPEED? That'll be fun to watch!
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Towing is really not that big of a deal if you set up both boats correctly and pay attention. Connecting and disconnecting are the two parts that you need to pay attention to and think about. It can be done with just a Captain and mate, but helps to have a third person. I used to tow a 24' Robalo with 2-225 4 strokes behind a 52' Searay Sedan Bridge at 23-24 knots cruise without any issue (among other yachts/tenders). Even towed it all of the way from Boca Raton to Harbor Island.
  5. German Yachting

German Yachting Senior Member

That said, what’s the max you would feel comfortable towing behind a 75 and at what speed?
  6. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

Here's something that fits most of your list, they make a great mothership and have room for toys, etc.

https://www.**************/boats/2002/mikelson-70-sportfisher-3052801/?refSource=browse listing

And one more;

https://www.**************/boats/2000/mikelson-3170736/?refSource=browse listing
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

There's a lot of variables there. What type of yacht. Let's say a Hatteras 75' MY or Sunseeker 75' yacht. Towing at cruise speed is generally fine. Weight of the tender is a big factor but absolute max in size a 32-34' center console with twins. A lighter one would be better than something really heavy and something closer to 30' would be better unless it's a light center console. Obviously this is in a moderate sea state, lets say 4 or 5' or less. Heavier seas and slowing down a little would be best if the center console isn't riding well.

I had a customer that towed a 35' Marlago behind a 63' Ocean SF all over hell and back for decades without a hitch at cruise speed. Once you got moving, you didn't feel the tender back there at all.
  8. German Yachting

Yes assuming a 75 class Hatteras, Viking, or Sunseeker. Does adding triples add too much weight? It looks like a 32 Yellowfin would run 8,200 lbs and a 34 Yellowfin runs 8,800 and I assume that’s plus the engines and tankage. Would be a nice setup to have a 75 Hatteras MY with a 34 Yellowfin with triple 425 Yamaha’s and a Seakeeper. A nice cruising and fishing combo.
  9. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The third engine adds weight to the back of the CC, drag, etc. 3x425's on a 34' Yellowfin???? How fast do you want to go :eek: I would think it would fly with 2x425's. LOL Probably almost as fast as 3x350's...…...maybe only 5 mph slower.
  10. German Yachting

3x425s would be on the 36. A 34 would be twin 425s.
  11. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

This just blows my mind, as some others have said. I would love to see that! I'm picturing the 63 OY up on plane and the boat being towed on plane too? Wouldn't that be a huge strain on both boats cleats etc.?
    How about when you encountered a passing boats wake or waves of any sort, wouldn't that be a big shock to the tow line etc? I don't doubt you Capt J, but Wow!
  12. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

No most people tow on plane, almost all Sportfish do. Once they're on plane they just ride in synch. The big boat cuts any passing boat wakes down. The cleats seem to do fine, we use HD tow eye with a big backing plate on the tender. A buddy of mine tows a 24' center console behind a 50' Post, has towed it thousands of miles without incident.
  13. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

Amazing, you don't see that up here in the Northeast....how far back is the boat being towed? 30feet?
  14. German Yachting

I also assume that you can reinforce the cleats as needed for your tow. On the larger ones like the 75 Hatteras, I assume those large maxwell windlass are probably well reinforced and can handle the load.
  15. German Yachting

I believe 150-200’ for the most part.
  16. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

We hooked up a few times in the Exumas with a 74 Viking who were towing a 36-37 See Vee somewhere in the high 20s/low 30s. I m pretty sure it had twins. These guys did thousands of miles a year.
  17. CPT2012

CPT2012 Member

Owner operator and towing a big center console, can be done but hard in my opinion. Connecting, disconecting and entering/leaving port will be a pain without someone with some experience assisting.
  18. GhostriderIII

GhostriderIII Senior Member

19. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

Or he could look up the “ original” mini-mothership, the 88’ Jones Goodell MY by Jim Jenks of OP clothing fame had a crane to load a 30’ SF behind the deckhouse.

upload_2018-11-17_9-55-4.jpeg
  20. GhostriderIII

GhostriderIII Senior Member

That'll work.