Click for Furuno Click for Mulder Click for Northern Lights Click for Glendinning Click for Perko

Hello, newbie here

Discussion in 'Yacht Designers Discussion' started by flaired paul, Aug 5, 2008.

1. flaired paul

flaired paul New Member

Hi everyone. Stumbled across this site the other day, very informative. I'm a qualified industrial designer working (pretending) as a boat designer. Only been at it for 3 years now so still quite new to the Boating industry, but loving it. Sure beats the hell out of design small plastic products.

My main interests lie in the conceptual stages of the design process, although getting down to the nuts and bolts sure can be challenging.:confused: ;) :confused:
  2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Hi and welcome to YachtForums!

I saw in your profile that you have only been out on a boat three times. Somewhat unusual..., for a boat designer..!

Feel free to post designs or details of your work, our members will tell you if they like what they see, or not...;)
  3. flaired paul

flaired paul New Member

It is unusual I guess. But I have spent some time at boat shows, like the Miami one which was very inspiring.

I have always wanted to try do some of my own designs (not for the company I work for). I will be back with some sketches soon.:)
  4. Arniev

Arniev Senior Member

Welcome to YachtForums, flaired paul!
    :)
  5. Coenharbour

Coenharbour Senior Member

Welcome to yachtforums, can't wait to see some sketches!:)
  6. CODOG

CODOG Senior Member

:) Welcome. Industrial / product designers usually do very well in the marine design business. The basic packaging / ergonomic / practicality of use issues that you would already have come up against, apply just as much to designing large and small components involved in the production of most yachts...a brain that can identify and appreciate the various issues and then optimise or improve the design of them is a very useful tool in a design office.
    Wether its interior layout, deck layout, superstructure design, on board tender stowage etc etc, all elements involve the need to understand the expected usage and appropriate levels of safety and comfort when using the areas and equipment. These considerations should precede the styling elements, but all too often dont....an infinitely practical design is not going to be the most aesthetically pleasing and vice versa...welcome to the world of compromise :)
    Its notoriously difficult to get the opportunity, but if you can, get out on the boats your company build or design, on trials, boat shows or even better, delivery trips...a hands-on experience and hence understanding in the day to day working of a yacht will help you develop as a designer. Your future ideas may at first not be listened to, nor incorporated, but you stand a better chance if your ideas are realistic and practical based on new-found experience.