Click for JetForums Click for Abeking Click for Comfort Click for Mag Bay Click for Westport

Helicopters / Seaplanes on Yachts

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by mp-willow, Mar 16, 2006.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. YachtForum

YachtForum Publisher/Admin

This begs the question, what would the typical teardrop look if Lars took to the air!

We already have flying Wallys. The F-117!
  2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

To beat this design can´t be too hard. After the Stockholm Boat Show I´ll give it a try...:)

Attached Files:

3. mp-willow

mp-willow Senior Member

R66?

Now I might have to look at the Type :)

But it still has a short range and limited uses, but It is a long time comming. But then I like big rides that can give the users lots of options.

As for the PBY :) I will agree and is one I have liked. Would base out of Catalina Island ;), but not that airport, what a mess to get in and out of and the trip to town! So the PBY-5A would be mine maybe the 6A developed in Philadelphia but it could be worked to even have folded wings and turbo engines. Had a dream about building one new. Yes that is crazy, but they are a great plane and can hold a lot of stuff or 25 people:D

As for that Gnat on a speedy yacht, great pic, I do like that, but what do I do when I need to move the boat? How stable is that thing at say 5 knots?
  4. mp-willow

mp-willow Senior Member

Heli Hangers?

Friends I am writting to ask your opinion about making the hanger wider then the beam of the yacht. This thought is for two reasons, one to not need to fold the blades, and two, extra room for tenders and gear. Posible use of doors to lower tenders from hanger.

This is a thought that is probable out of reach and out of balance.;)
  5. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

If you are going to have a fixed structure on a boat I would say that it's width then becomes the vessels maximum beam.

Naval Architects/Designers please feel free to correct me on this.
  6. mp-willow

mp-willow Senior Member

Ok sounds reasonable. I was just woundering if it would be posible to use it and maybe keep the main rotor fixed and not fold the blades. ;)
  7. tildes

tildes New Member

I am building a 70 m vessel with helipad on the upper deck. The size of the helipads are under actual revision and probably the width of the helipad will be reduced from the actual 1D to 0,83D (D is the overall length of the helicopter with rotors turning). MCA has delegated this matter on the Helideck Certification Agency. I can tell you that we are experiencing some problems to place the helipad in the 70 m vessel.
  8. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Wasn´t the helipad in the original design brief then?
  9. Go5go

Go5go New Member

@K1W1

The widest point of vessel is the maximum beam yes. Sometimes though the beam of a vessel will only refer to the beam of the hull, excluding any protrusions such as rubrails and styling details.

@mp-willow: Having a wider than main hull (or at waterline hull) is most certainly feasable, but can have different effects when you start looking into styling and stability. First can be worked in, the second it can open a strange can of worms depending on exact placement and width with respect to the rest of the vessel. For a hanger for a fixed rotor craft, a multi-hull might be a better option!

Cheers,
    Pete
  10. Go5go

Go5go New Member

I ask the same question?!?!?

But a lot of helipads are not a full 1D in width (am assuming the beam here). I know the rules vary with how the heli will be used so I would have look things up.
  11. tildes

tildes New Member

We are doing the preliminary design, hull lines, GA, tank testing, etc to start with the steel work in October. The helipad is just in development.
  12. tildes

tildes New Member

If you want a helipad fully operational and licenced you need the approval from the MCA; you can have an "helipad" that does not fullfill all the requirements, but will not be aproved.
  13. Steve in SoCal

Steve in SoCal Member

It is my understanding that to be approved it must pass the crash rating of the aircraft used. A MD 500 or A-Star is a light bird, an S-76 is much heavier, adding that weight on a high deck could be a daunting task. What is the pad designed for?

Steve
  14. tildes

tildes New Member

The pad is designed for a MD Explorer. We have not started with the structure design and requirements for the helipad. For the moment we are solving the geometry, requiring the helipad to slide aft about 4 m in order to comply.
  15. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

If you can move the pad 4 meter aft, it sounds as it was not in a good position anyway. Having open decks aft below will create problems with things flying around, so moving the helipad back or adding air deflectors will be needed in such a design. In your case it seems to be needed for free rotor space as well.
  16. tildes

tildes New Member

The main concern is to support the helipad when extended aft, because can't be just cantilever. I will post in this forum the final solution and pictures when available.
  17. storm

storm Guest

might help ?

Back in the early 90's, we mod. a 103' with a retractable aft flybridge for a mid. size chopper. Also a retractable swimplat. for a hovercraft.:cool:
  18. tildes

tildes New Member

Then, may be you can help us. Please send me a private message and we will talk about.
  19. balboa

balboa Guest

heli or float plane

I'm converting a 132 ft. North Sea trawler into an expedition yacht.

I'm planning to be able to carry either a heli or float plane.

As to the weight issue, my 2 alum. tenders weight more than either a Zenith CH 801 floatplane or a Bell Long ranger.

Yes, a heli has more flexibility but it's more expensive to operate and the range is limited. Good pilots with lots of hours are expensive too.

A floatplane yes, is cheaper (I'm looking at a Zenith or a Cessna 182) but you'll have wings sticking out and you need prettty flat water which quickly becomes a problem if you're not near coastal waters. A custom floating (inflatable) dock should take care of passengers getting in and out.

So, it really depends on where you plan to operate and how much $$ you have.

Good luck.

Thorwald Westmaas
  20. mp-willow

mp-willow Senior Member

@Go5go:
    Thanks I had not looked into the Mult-hull. That would help with stability as I do want it to operate in High Latitudes. I still have a lot to think about. Let alone the price of gas. :eek: