Click for Westport Click for Delta Click for Mag Bay Click for Nordhavn Click for Mulder

Helicopters / Seaplanes on Yachts

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by mp-willow, Mar 16, 2006.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Arniev

Arniev Senior Member

Welcome Back!
    :)
  2. Skiffy

Skiffy New Member

Landing pads

I have always thought that an extending aft catamaran section could be used as a pad, and then with a suitable crane it could be lifted to a much smaller aft deck area with blades folded for storage.

This would also give a large pontoon area for mooring of seaplanes, with the use of fingers.

The Cat hull volume could be lomg and thin, thus taking up less internal space in the yacht, it would remain attached to the aft of the vessel, with damped linkage, when in use.

This would be possible through the use of rigid composite structures.

Essentially a seperate floating pad that can be concealed in the main vessel, this way you can get a much bigger pad and a bigger heli as the pad would be lower and more stable, and the heli storage could also be lower.

I've always liiked the idea of a seaplane trip but I would want a Catalina.
  3. chuckb

chuckb Senior Member

This has been a fun thread to read... and made me think of a couple other possibilities....

The first below is not in production yet and is promoted as "The JetSki of the Sky", google ICON A5 for more. Clearly, a VFR toy... but the wings fold, and for recreational use only it sure is a new "outside the box" concept that could be an interesting addition to the "toybox" for those who collect toys... and is forecast to be in production fall 2012, slot # 694 in the production line was sold at Oshkosh so I hear.

Next, also not in production yet (but several professionally built kits are on Controller), is the SeaWind 3000... 200 mph, 1000 mi range, IFR... basically the next generation of amphib akin to the Lake series.... and just about to clear Canadian certification and start production.

Lastly, WIG aircraft were scoffed at... anyone seen UH 19XRW Hoverwing? Ground Effect Hovercraft, - YouTube ? Yes, still in the toy category, but I heard a couple went to the Med last year... didn't hear where but I believe it was to a megayacht...

Anyways, all of these are NOT serious transportation (one could argue the Seaind is... but not in support of a yacht... really now:rolleyes:), but they do offer an interesting twist for clear calm days....:D

Attached Files:

4. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

Not to beat a dead horse; just found the pics interesting.
    SURI With Toys.jpg
    SURI With Toys2.jpg
  5. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Aircraft Quiz
    This should be an easy quiz for those who have
    even a modicum of knowledge about aircraft
    However, the answer may surprise you . . .

The Question:
    "What is the primary advantage of rotary-winged aircraft over fixed-winged aircraft?"

The Answer:

helo boarding.jpg

I GOT IT WRONG TOO !! ;)
  6. travler

travler Senior Member

thanks for that now i really know what i have been missing on the boats i run

travler
  7. Grecko

Grecko New Member

The Icon, like most other LSA aircraft is pretty much a toy. A pretty neat toy, but a toy nonetheless.

The Seawind is (was) pretty much a mess. They sold it in kit form and it was a mess from a structural and aerodynamic standpoint, never mind that it was miserable boat too. Do a search on Seawind and problems and you will get an eyefull. If it is going to be certified that tells you what I've often said, "just because it got a ticket, doesn't mean it's a good airplane". There have been, literally, hundreds of aircraft that got certified that were a dangerous mess. After what I have read on the problems with the Seawind that statement is still probably true.
  8. brian eiland

D-Dalus Aircraft

Austrian research company IAT21 has presented a new type of aircraft at the Paris Air Show which has the potential to become aviation's first disruptive technology since the jet engine. Neither fixed wing nor rotor craft, the D-Dalus uses four, mechanically-linked, contra-rotating, cylindrical turbines for its propulsion, and by altering the angle of the blades, it can launch vertically, hover perfectly still, move in any direction, and thrust upwards and hence "glue down" upon landing, which it can easily do on the deck of a ship, or even a moving vehicle. It's also almost silent, has the dynamic stability to enter buildings, handles rough weather with ease, flies very long distances very quickly and can lift very heavy loads. It's also so simple that it requires little maintenance and requires no more maintenance expertise than an auto mechanic. It accordingly holds immense promise as a platform for personal flight, for military usage, search and rescue, and much more.
  9. brian eiland

Attached Files:

10. brian eiland