Click for Walker Click for Westport Click for Abeking Click for Burger Click for Ocean Alexander

Helicopter in the water at Chelsea pier

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Bamboo, Sep 23, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

Yesterday I over heard that a helicopter crashed into the Hudson near Chelsea pier- five minutes after we left there. In unrelated news South Street seaport was off limits and traffic to the east side had to skirt the Brooklyn side. I can't find any news on the crash, but someone said it was in the paper.
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

That was an NYPD helicopter, and it landed in Jamaica Bay just off of Floyd Bennitt Field in the Rockaways. It's inflation bags did their job. Stayed aflot and no serious injuries. It was on assignment to cover the President's landing @ JFK.
  3. ScotL

ScotL Senior Member

No ground zero fly-by today, I trust:D
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Busy with the UN I'd expect.
  5. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I bet the Community Organizer In Chief will blame his predecessor...

or maybe the chopper hit severw turbulence caused by the hot stinky air coming out of the nearby UN building :)
  6. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

Thinking of the economy, the President flew into JFK last week & came to CT for a fund raiser. Couldn't they have done the CT party in conjunction with the U.N. visit? How much did that cost the tax payers per flight? I'd guess 1 million? Ever see the shows about what it takes to put a single flight together?
  7. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

If he weren't going to CT. he'd have been going somewhere, and I doubt any president would want to be distracted by fundraising when he's addressing the UN General Assembly.
  8. lovinlifenc

lovinlifenc Member

Do you think he really cares? That is where we all go wrong! Expecting King Owhammy and Queen Ma-shell to think about how they are spending the peoples money is ignorite! They have shown us their arrogance more than once with their travels. :mad:
  9. ScotL

ScotL Senior Member

Doesn't he always?

He is also back trying to convince people how good "his" healthcare bill is.(going to be anyway)
  10. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Sound like the tea is the home grown variety. Enjoy your politics. Personally I don't think YF is the right forum for this discussion. But, being one that hates to see the rediculous go unchallenged, what does it cost for the president to fly half way around the world, land on an aircraft carrier, have a carrier wide sign made and unfurled, and take the sailors off duty for a "Mission Accomplished" photo op? Shall we continue or is it time for this thread to close. As an independent I hate defending either party, but please, don't drink the tea. It's as bad as the coolaide.:rolleyes:
  11. FutureYachter

FutureYachter Member

Ditto. It is YachtForums. I don't see anything to be gained by discussing politics here. It's only going to alienate people who come here for other reasons. Perhaps we could start a new thread for political arguments, um discussions. No one is going to change their opinion because they read a snarky political comment in a thread labeled "Helicopter in the water at Chelsea pier."
  12. geriksen

geriksen Senior Member

I think NYCAP doesn't like "rich people" even though it seems they employ him. Well, you are in luck Cap! Our pres and his crew are all about punishing those "rich *******s". Only thing is, that is not so good for the Yacht Captain job market in the long run. I will drop it right there. ;-)

"I think what is most amusing is when yacht owners use the excuse that they bring huge amounts of money to the local ecconomy and then try to keep from giving it to the government or, in Airship's example, even the local marinas as well. Evidently taxes aren't the problem. They just don't want to spend money on anything that doesn't directly benefit themselves. If they can't eat it, wear it, drive it, put it on their wall or profit from it they object to paying for it. Somebody has to pay for the subsidized housing (section 8) where those minimum wage employees who serve them live and the subsidized bus systems they ride to those jobs and the medical care that they can't afford to pay for and the roads on which the trinkets they've bought travel to get to their yacht. Also, don't forget that most taxes eventually get circled around landing in the pockets of corporate executives in the form of business tax breaks so those executives can take the bonuses that allow them buy things like yachts."

BTW, when they "eat it, wear it, or drive it.." they also have to pay for it. This generates tax revenue (for your section 8 housing) and creates jobs.
    Like yours. :)

I am not rich but my customers are. When they do well, I do too.
  13. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

"employ him"? I have a couple of clients who are way too generous, and it's greatly appreciated. Otherwise I povide more with my services than the amount that I'm paid justifies. Nobody owes anybody anything. I pay my bills and my taxes and I have zero sympathy for anybody who objects to paying theirs; rich or poor. If you want to use this country to sell a boat, pay what it costs. If there happens to be a place where you can get it done cheaper and easier do it there. What's the problem with that? And BTW, I work for myself. People hire me, they don't employ me just like I hire them when I need their services.
  14. geriksen

geriksen Senior Member

I have no sympathy for cheats either. I just get tired of all the 'blame the rich' business going on these days.

If you want to see "trickle down economics" at work, the Yachting/Boating industry is a perfect example of it. Our whole industry depends on the disposable income of the "rich".
    If they tax it all away, our jobs go with it.
    I guess we could live in section 8 housing then paid for by that additional tax revenue. ;-)
  15. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

You're believing the hype. Yes the boating industry is sailing in circles in the toilet, but it has precious little to do with rich people's wallets. The entire economy of most of the world is swirling. It happens every few years, although this one was the worst in about 80 years. They say the economy is getting better. Instead of sunk it's simply gasping for air.;) The pendulum seldom rests in the middle. Back in the 80's the unions pushed too far and got spanked (Think air traffic controllers). During the late 90's/mid-2000's the bosses got too greedy and now they've been spanked. Of course, when either of the sides get spanked the rest of us get walloped.
    As one who went through it in the 60's, 70's, 80's, and early 90's and whose parents went through the 29 crash I say 'The sun will come out tomorrow'.;)
  16. geriksen

geriksen Senior Member

No hype here. As a small business owner, I see this first hand.
    The air traffic controller thing was the last time I saw good leadership in this country. Nowadays when the unions push too hard, the gov't takes over the company, screws the investors, and hands the company over to the unions.
    (think GM). I agree with you about the pendulum swinging. I hope it swings hard in November. Enjoying the discussion NYCAP. :)
    Always interesting to hear the other side.

BTW, do you remember the LUXURY TAX? It almost wiped out the boating industry completely.
    I hope that lesson has not been forgotten.
  17. geriksen

geriksen Senior Member

18. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Ditto. And sure do remember the luxury tax and who brought it to us after saying "Read my lips. No new Taxes!" "In October of 1990, President George HW Bush imposed the Luxury Tax." from your link.:rolleyes:
    What say we get back to the thread now.... Was I correct about it being out at Floyd Bennitt or was this a second one. Anyone know?
  19. geriksen

geriksen Senior Member

Yup, neither Bush helped. Reagan was the last good one. My point is that these ideas are "floating" around again.
    Sorry about the thread hijack but this is relevant to Yachting for sure.
    Especially today. Well, I am off to see if I can generate some tax revenue for Texas.
  20. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

Wasn't this a Helicopter in the water thread? ...(it might have spun out of control)... I'm surprised anyone is surprised that folks in NY lean to the left. Cram millions of people together and they want the gov to protect them from, well, them. :D