Click for Westport Click for Mulder Click for Burger Click for Westport Click for Northern Lights

Heat Exchanger Gaskets

Discussion in 'Ocean Yacht' started by Boomer, Dec 26, 2019.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

If it ain’t broke, don’t screw with it. Very easy to break 30 year old copper or bronze
  2. Boomer

Boomer Senior Member

Roger that...will carefully round out the d shaped tubes a little and use some RV gasket maker on the ends to make sure it doesn't leak
  3. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

Did it leak before? If you are talking about the bronze square to round end fittings of the cast iron tank..etc...that is some heavy stuff..I'm amazed they are bent up. No need to crank them down that hard. And what Capt Ralph said, I never knew this but bronze won't bend back with out cracking or what ever. That would really stink.
    What Capt J said if it ain't broke don't blank with it! Well, my version .:D It's an Older boat, like ALL of mine past and present. Some things are not ment to made like new again. Just make sure it does not leak and move on, IMO.
  4. Boomer

Boomer Senior Member

Capt ralph said they are copper...in sad shape also
  5. Boomer

Boomer Senior Member

Almost back together..did a run yesterday with water to flush the system..started adding coolant today...ran out..back to napa
  6. Boomer

Boomer Senior Member

Success!!!...boat ran great and temps where they should be! Thank you everyone for your input...another project completed for the YF crew
  7. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

So, What to you contribute to have been your issue?
  8. Boomer

Boomer Senior Member

My best guess would be the HE as they had garbage in them on the coolant side...that and all the mud in the tank...everything else looked ok...t stats were probably ok but why take a chance when you are doing everything else?