Click for Glendinning Click for JetForums Click for Abeking Click for Nordhavn Click for Cross

Have yacht designers ever been on a boat?

Discussion in 'Yacht Designers Discussion' started by Pascal, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

Looks broken.....
  2. 84far

84far Senior Member

To answer the question (and not the best of questions... can I have a poke at your job:rolleyes:) - yes, I have been on a boat... I was doing ocean racing at the age of 14 and recently skippered the biggest boat to date - a 100' M/Y, at the age of 28 (pic below).

As for the door on the sides I'm pretty sure it is an option for the boats around the 100' range, as I have found on a few Azuimut (for example). But couldn't find any on the smaller boats, and have a feeling this is due to structural reasons (shouldn't poke if you don't know) - as a builders, nav archs, yacht designers, engineers etc would of picked up on this. Also, a lot of these boats would of been designed from auto/industrial designers.

I did pick up on this ladder though with the PB about 6 months ago (pic of the PB is on Pitt Water, north of Sydney), and thought it wasn't the bests of ideas, plus the seat right behind the anchor winch and also been used while underway. I'd put money down that that was the investors idea ;). Cheers

Far

Attached Files:

3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Or how about another brilliant one. On the 62' Sunseeker Predator or Manhatten, you need a 6 step ladder to clean the inside of the port side foward windshield and part of the center windshield. There is no other way to get to it.
  4. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

My three years at Viking South as a mechanic I was always in demand because of the same reason. Tall, thin and flexible found me in some strange places doing work...
  5. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

The boat is called what? "One Drop"? if so thay would be ironic with it in the lifting slings. :)
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I've run several smaller Azimuts that had doors. A 1998 70' Seajet, and 2 different 2001 68' Plus', they all had doors on both sides of the aft deck, they opened and latched outward and were prone to getting knocked off if you weren't paying attention. I ran an
    05 50' that didn't have them and currently a 1998 58' Seajet that doesn't have them.
  7. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Boarding doors that open outward are unpractical... Often they can get caught on the dock depending on the tide and wakes. One of the worst I ve seen is on marquis where the door is only supported by light hinges and a pin latch. When backing into a slip you uave to remember where they are as if you touch a piling the hinges will get bent.

The older 70' seajet is another example... The swim platform is virtually non existent. A couple of years ago one was anchored close to us and watching the guests getting in and out of the water was like watching musical chairs! They had to take turns on the platform and steps.
  8. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Yes, but on smaller yachts the side decks are not wide enough to open them inwards..?
  9. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

True but there are ways do deal with this including a pantograph system as is often use in pilot house doors and transom ER doors.
  10. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

OK, have you ever seen it done?
  11. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

No but it can be done

Just like marquis could have put stops so that the pressure is not supported by cabinet hinges
  12. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Yes of course, some made it to the moon. But you can not do it as you do with pilot house doors, as they go out, not in...
  13. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Doesn't matter if they go in or out, what matters is that it will clear the house side and it will
  14. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Seriously, I need two of these right now!
  15. Fiberglass 1

Fiberglass 1 New Member

Since many of the "modern" boats are cad cam design I'd say, in answer to the OP's question - NO! That silly conglomeration of ones and zeroes has never been at sea.
  16. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Since this 10 year old thread has been resurrected here is one bonehead setup that has me cursing every time we have to raise or lower the antennas.

WTH did Lazzara install this antenna, and its matching twin on port side, in a spot where you can’t easily reach the lock (circled in red). Had they installed the antennas just 12 inches further aft, they could be handled from the top deck instead of having to climb on the roof, lay on your stomach on the edge!

I guess when you have a cherry picker at the yard, it doesn’t matter

same with the running lights… un reachable without doing acrobatics. Again installing them just 12” aft would have made a big difference

4AA738A0-AB27-459E-8DC4-870225A15457.jpeg
  17. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Since we were discussing different door solutions here above, I saw this picture of a door/gate on an old Halmatic today. Pretty clever idea that can be used in different applications...

Folding door....jpg
  18. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

We are currently replacing the fuel vent hoses from the tanks to the overboard. What a PITA to get to these. And for some unknown reason, one tank has a 90 degree fitting for the hose barb (others are straight) and, of course, the 90's are pointed up. I guess they just don't care about future serviceability when do these things.