Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn Click for YF Listing Service Click for Glendinning Click for Cross

Hatteras runs aground in St. Augustine

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by aviator4512, Dec 19, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. aviator4512

aviator4512 Member

2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

The boat was successfully refloated a couple of days ago with no more than running gear damage. The story as published by the local press makes no sense whatsoever...
  3. aviator4512

aviator4512 Member

Agreed - I couldn't find much else about it, so I thought the folks here at YF may have some insight. Like with aviation accidents, you can always guarantee that the media is going to butcher about 50% of the information that they publish...
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I am embarrassed by the very poor media coverage on anything up here around N/E Fl. Usually, If I want to know whats going on in Jax, My friend in Sacramento CA fills me in.
    It's always a "Breaking News Alert" but with NO details interrupting your radio or TV.

,rc
  6. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

The best part of it was that it was a professional delivery crew that was bringing the boat south for the owner.
  7. captainwjm

captainwjm Senior member

I don't know if that's the "best part", but it does show that mistakes are not just for novices. We all can learn from this that complacency leads to misfortune, and that the sea can make even the most seasoned captain look foolish - or worse.
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

That is true. However, I deliver a lot of yachts. As we all know some inlets constantly change from day to day or week to week. There are a lot of inlets on the North-South trip that I'm only in and out of once a year or twice a year.....when you're doing that many miles, it is possibility. I try to stick to larger channels that don't change.....such as Fernandina Beach over St. Aug, Charleston.....but due to range, weather, or speed it's not always possible to make those stops......However, I hear St. Augustine has been a mess for a year or two.....
  9. aviator4512

aviator4512 Member

Well considering they just dredged it via a $2.3m job, it should be a bit easier to make in through unscathed than in the past...
  10. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Even after the dredge work, you Must come in from the Sea Buoy. You can not cut across the outer bars or try to short cut the inlet.
    One report up here, crew was a Mother / Daughter crew. Lady captain with 30 years driving stuff.
  11. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

That inlet is not suited to larger boats let alone one with a captain that doesn't have a good understanding of whats going on there.
  12. Caltexflanc

Caltexflanc Senior Member

Well I am not sure what your cut off is for "larger boats" but equipped with current knowledge and a little inlet running experience it is almost always just fine for a 56' hull, 61LOA, 5 ft draft Hatteras. And check out the boats in the St A marinas sometime; do you think they are all ICW cruisers?
  13. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I ran a Nova 80 in/out there. Our Bert has pushed thru many times. I have watched much larger transit with no problems. I also witnessed a 30' fishing boat roll over on a calm day.
    I also hear a lot of local advise asked for over the radio AND Much answered.

You have to understand one thing;
    "it was a snake when you picked it up"..