Click for Mulder Click for Mulder Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Burger Click for Perko

Hatteras 90, 100, versus Westport 112 advice needed

Discussion in 'Westport Yacht' started by FlyingGolfer, Apr 11, 2018.

1. FlyingGolfer

FlyingGolfer Member

More great info!
  2. FlyingGolfer

FlyingGolfer Member

Next question: how to find a great crew?
  3. ychtcptn

ychtcptn Senior Member

FG- I would highly recommend the Westport, the 112 is a great all around boat with great resale. If you ever decide to charter, they are very popular and if you want to trade up, WP will do so gladly.
    You really can't compare the 112 with the new 25, two very different boats and price points.
    I am very familiar with the WP line, I have been running them for over 10 years now, presently on a 164'.
    I agree with finding a Captain first, good luck with that. I think that will be your greatest challenge, at least a quality one.
    Let me know if I can help you further, I know the higher ups at WP really well and can lead you in the right direction.
  4. Lenny

Lenny Member

Crew - There are crew agency's that go from OK to terrible. You can ask around but also can be a nightmare. No good answer. Need to really be lucky. Don't forget that a broker or dealer wants to sell you a boat. They will say we will take care of everything INCLUDING the crew. Does not work. Crew is a very personal situation. Also don't forget that a new boat has MANY problems. Will take a year to sort them out. Not trying to be negative. We love to cruise. Just leaving April 28th from Ft Lauderdale to the Med for 5 months BUT it took a lot of preparations - read, time, money, experience.
  5. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Lenny brought a very good point about anchoring and the need for zero speed, although i believe most boats in that size range will have them.

Whether on charter or with the owners we spend most of our time anchored out. We spend a lot of times in the exumas and tyically anchor out 90% of the time. Better views, privacy and we serve better food then many restaurants

Depending on where you will be, draft is what restricts access to the best spots, more than LOA. Less of a concern in the med or new england, but important on the east coast and the bahamas. We re running an 84 Lazzara with 5' draft and can bring guests to anchorages in the exumas no boat that size can go to

Speed is nice but unless you or your family has any known medical condition i wouldnt worry about it. Personally i feel that if i have to run from weather it means i havent plan properly. The ability to cruise at 20kts does give you more flexibility though
  6. Lenny

Lenny Member

If you would like to chat about boats, send me a PM. I am not a dealer, broker or any interest in selling you anything. Just a boat owner, someone who loves to cruise and would be happy to share my mistakes. Do not want to post on this Forum and insult anyone.
    Pascal: Does your Lazzara have Zero Speeds?
  7. Maxwell

Maxwell Senior Member

I helped look at a WP 112 for a friend awhile back... The only thing we didn't love was that it didn't have full walk around decks and you had to go through the salon to go from the stern to bow. Otherwise the layout etc with large galley for people to congregate while cooking etc fit his family's needs well.
  8. German Yachting

German Yachting Senior Member

The updated styling 112 has been featured in BI in case you are curious how the new interior looks with the enlarged windows.
  9. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Lenny. No, just the standard trac. I looked into upgrading but for our current use it s not worth it. I just pick my anchorages more carefully :) and the shallow draft really helps. If we go to the med next year may do it though.

Max brings a good point about side decks. It s not just about line handling but people flow on the boat. No crossing the saloon with wet bathing suits. When loading supplies you can walk outside to the front doors. On charters we don't have to walk back and forth thru the saloon and bothering guests.

While styling is important it s not a critical criteria. Machinery choices, sea keeping, layout etc is far more critical
  10. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Sometimes, the factory can help point you to your first captain.
  11. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

I totally agree with that part. I started a separate thread to generate crew discussion. Also, as to references, only a few rare fools actually give you bad references. Look for the ones they didn't give you. Also work history tells you a lot.
  12. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Sometimes it's, I don't know anyone but talk to Captain Joe and he might or why don't you call Bob. It's like American Pickers always seeking leads.
  13. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Chartering a few yachts also gives you a perspective into what you like and don't like about crew. If you really like a Captain, you can ask them for references of other captains or even possibly poach them. Some brokers also do a very good job at referring good Captains, some don't.

Generally if you have to result from getting work from a crew agency, you're generally not the best of the bunch.
  14. FlyingGolfer

FlyingGolfer Member

Poaching might work. Not to sound crass, buy I can probably outspend many owners for the best people.
  15. FlyingGolfer

FlyingGolfer Member

Forgetting about money, what would be any arguments against a Westport 164?
  16. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

You can't get into most of the places you can with the boats you've previously mentioned. If you prefer anchoring in 8 out of 10 places and taking a tender to shore, then go for it. But in the Bahamas for example, the only docks you're going to get a Westport 164' into would be Freeport and Nassau/Paradise Island, and Boat Harbor.
  17. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

Remember some crew/captains are well qualified and good at what they do ( as well as some who are not) but the issue is finding the ones who match your style and personality. There is certainly no shortage of great "joke teller" captains- but that may not be what you are looking for.
  18. FlyingGolfer

FlyingGolfer Member

All you folks are teaching me a lot!
  19. FlyingGolfer

FlyingGolfer Member

The definitive answer, just what I needed.
  20. FlyingGolfer

FlyingGolfer Member

When we are waiting for our new boat to be completed, any thoughts about which used boat to buy?