Click for Furuno Click for Perko Click for JetForums Click for Mulder Click for Westport

Hatteras 56MY pics from Hatteras Yacht Expo

Discussion in 'Hatteras Yacht' started by lwrandall, Jun 1, 2008.

1. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

Nice job, Lionel. Thanks for all the pics & commentary.

Hatteras is apparently 'keeping up with the Jones's', alright. As a champion nit-picker, I only find fault with the multiple skeins of ER wiring and the skazillion tie wraps that scream "Hey! We use lotsa wires on our boats!".
    Yo, Hatteras: plastic conduits can inexpensively hide that stuff and keep it all down to a dull roar, IMHO.
  2. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

Rowenta

OR
    Something you might press your shirt and pants with...
  3. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

Dave and Ken, you're not alone in that assessment. Poor Hatteras seems to be suffering the "me too" syndrome instead of being "us first."
  4. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Pardon this interruption...

I've moved several of the Yacht Expo posts under the Hatt 56MY thread to keep the discussion under one thread. The Yacht Expo thread has been moved to the events forum now.

As you were gentlemen...
  5. Captddis

Captddis Guest

I HATE the stupid conduits! Try to trace or run wires in them. It already looks like a sea ray, just add the home depot conduits and it is a sea ray. Disgusting!
    And I have been a life long Hatteras guy and own a Hatteras, but mine looks like a Hatteras.
  6. nilo

nilo Senior Member

electric cables low in the engine room

Is it customery practice to have the cabling laying so low in the engine room? In my opinion, it is looking for problems in case of flooding.
  7. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Dear Hat,
    What happened to you? From the seating to the cleat placement to the wiring to the interior design, etc. The most cogent comment I read hear was from captddis..."mine looks like a Hatteras". When I looked at the 77 I was hoping for redemption, but it's the same. Stop trying to keep up with the Jones. Be Hatteras.
  8. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

when i saw the pictures, i thought somebody was joking and this had to be a new Marquis or Ovation. I don't' care for the styling but heck... to each his own. what i simply don't' understand is how could the design team waste so much space. those half moon shape seats and table are just awful. it's ok to have guests get up for the person seated in the middle... on a 40 footer. Not on a $2M hatteras!!! That semi canoe stern is a complete waste of space, on each side. The swim platform is ridiculously small... and so is the flybridge.

It's amazing how nearly 40 years after Jack Hargrave design, Hatteras comes up with a longer boat, with more beam yet the same number of staterooms, narrower side deck, less space at the bow, less space on the flybridge, a smaller aft deck and less space for the tender!!!

what happened in 40 years?

The saloon is too small, there is no lower helm... and when you come in you have that huge flat screen right in your face! it doesn't even retract. then they do away with fiberglass tanks which has been a big advantage for 40 years... great... now you have to worry about replacing the tanks in 10 or 20 years.

and with nearly twice the power, the boat isn't' really that fast anyway.

Whenever i drive by a marina on the ICW, i'm always amazed to see that at almost every marina, i will see a familiar profile of a classic Hatteras MY, whether one of the old 1510 or even one of the more recent wider beam 54, 56, etc... Hatteras made a mark on the small yacht marker for almost 40 years, all the way to 99 or 2000. these days are gone.

sad.
  9. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

oh... and Hatteras must be the only builder in that size range to use non skid on the aft deck! I was surprised to notice that on the larger MYs too. Most other builders use teak...

one more thing... that crane support seems to be in the way on the already small and poorly designed aft deck... can't believe they were not able to set it up in a better location!
  10. OutMyWindow

OutMyWindow Senior Member

No point in going after that Hatteras advertising account now. :p
  11. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Are you kidding. The worse the product the more advertising that needs to be bought. I'm thinking of changing professions.:D
  12. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

And the more the industry needs PR professionals. ;)