Click for YF Listing Service Click for Burger Click for JetForums Click for Nordhavn Click for MotorCheck

Hatteras 54 Vibrates

Discussion in 'Hatteras Yacht' started by Pilas, Nov 27, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Pilas

Pilas New Member

I'm buying a Hatteras 54 2007 with C-18, but at 1400 RPM vibrates ALOT, and after the surveyor talked to me, he told me that it was really normal, because of the exhaust that is below, and that is normal.... I'm not sure that maybe are the cutlass bearing or something with the shafts, the surveyor says, that they are perfect... but the boat vibrates ALOT at 1400, is like a pushing and pulling... what would you guys recommed??? does anyone has any experience with that????

thanks
  2. Pilas

Pilas New Member

This is The surveyors response...

At about 1400 RPM is noticable. At that RPM the boat is trying to come out of the hole, the stern is down and the bow is way up. When this is happening, the force of the underwater exhaust is at its highest, and it is pushing straight at the propellors. There is a slight shake but is goes away immediately after you accelerate further and the bow comes down. Between 1200 and 1400 RPM is not where the boat likes to perform.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

That doesn't sound right to me by any means. What was the water depth that you were running in at 1400 rpm's?
  4. Pilas

Pilas New Member

We where running at open sea!!! So the depth was a lot!!! I think I'm going to hire my own surveyor, to check it!! Maybe the shafts are bended, an the seller just do not want to fixed them!!!! Because I really like the boat, that's why I'm trying to get it fixed so I can buy it....... They said that, all the hatteras with the underwater exhaust are like that!! But certainly I don't believe them
  5. franzmerenda

franzmerenda Senior Member

B******ts!
    It may occur around 1000RPM but slightly percetible; at 1400 is something related to props/shafts/bearings.
    My 2 cents
  6. Bill106

Bill106 Senior Member

Injector misfires also can cause excessive vibration at some rpms. Definitely have the engines gone over by a CAT mechanic in addition to your own surveyor! The UW exhaust exits aft and outboard of the wheels so it most likely isn't the culprit. In extreme cases the UW exhaust could lead to rudder ventilation but I doubt the air "bubble" will extend far enough forward to induce prop cavitation.
  7. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

ALWAYS use your own surveyor. Remember, he works for the person who signs his check.
    There are a lot of things that could cause this, from growth on the bottom to motor mounts and a ton of things in between. Start with what you see when the boat is hauled and work your way inside.
  8. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

AMEN to that.
    I once trusted a broker to get me a surveyor and regretted it almost immediately.
    The broke was working for the seller and the surveyor overlooked alot of problems on the boat.

I was blinded by the light and in love with this boat.

Finally got it to my marina and almost immediately started finding major problems.

I absolutely KNEW better and was totally embarrased by my own stupidity.

Don't trust the first surveyor you had.
    There are alot of boats out there for sale so don't fall in love with this particular one.

Good Luck
  9. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

How does the surveyor Know the "shafts are perfect" ? Did he dial them? Where you there?
  10. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

This does sound like BUNK. please, some other Hat drivers have to be out there to help.

Pilas;
    If you have not signed anything ,,, YET,,, AND even if you have,,, Get some one else on board...

We are all working on a little info here, but we are all on the cautious side. Vibrations or new (strange) sounds should ALWAYS be checked out and NOT be belayed by any one comment from anybody. It's your bux, have every answer before you lay any bux out...
  11. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I would do full surveys on both engines and hull with YOUR surveyors.....

Also, anything causing a vibration like that on a Hatteras SF in the running gear should be pretty apparent when visually inspecting it. Hatteras generally uses a 3:1 reduction in the gears, so if the motor is turning 2100rpms. the shaft is only turning 700rpms.