Click for Ocean Alexander Click for YF Listing Service Click for Nordhavn Click for JetForums Click for Furuno

Hatteras 53 foot fuel consumption

Discussion in 'Hatteras Yacht' started by hat4349, Jul 20, 2009.

1. hat4349

hat4349 Senior Member

I was out on the bay with a friend and his brother on my friends 42 foot Cruisers yacht, his brother asked us about fuel consumption on a 53 foot Hatteras with Detroit 8V71TIs. I and his brother told him we didn’t know enough about the Hatteras 53 to answer that question, I told him I would ask here since several, hi Pascal, people have them and may be willing to give him some information. I did tell him I thought it was a lot nicer and better boat than the Cruisers are, his brother had a few comments to make about that.
    Bob Page likes this.
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

:)

at hull speed, about 9kts, the 53s burn about 9 to 10GPH. doesn't really matter if they have Ns or TIs.

53s with TIs have the option of getting on plane (just), on a good day, with a tail wind, shiny clean bottom and if the overweight mother in law and fat niece stayed on the dock :) ... I think they burn around 40 GPH, but i could be off since mine is a Natural.

at hull speed, these boats are great... you can take them out, cruise 1/2 hr to your a nearby anchorage and come back for less than a decent restaurant dinner! And since they have great ventilation you only need to run the genny for air con at night.

last week end we were out anchored on the bay (biscayne bay). 90+ degrees but a 10kts breeze which kept the saloon cool (2 doors, and 2 windows) as well as the aft deck (ours is a classic, which unlike the ED has wing doors bringing a ton of air, even in summer)
    Bob Page likes this.
  3. Mike I.

Mike I. New Member

A 53 with 871TI's should burn about 32-35 gallons/hour at cruising speed.A 53 convertible with 1271N's burns about 40.
  4. hat4349

hat4349 Senior Member

You do about the same as I did with my Chris Craft at hull speeds, wish I could open up like you can for the air flow. I can cruise at 9.5 knots with the gen set running on about 10 GPH. I've measured that several times while doing an all day cruise, went about 120 nm one day and averaged 10GPH with the gen set, we needed heat that day and the admiral did some meals for us. Did one of about 80 nm averaging 8GPH but didn't run the gen set that day.

Mike I. you mention consumption at cruising speed, what do you call cruising speed for these?
    Bob Page likes this.
  5. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

a 53MY with the TIs shoudl cruise at about 16kts... it really depends on the boat, the load, etc... the trick is to get the boat on plane using a lot of power, then back down a bit, just enough to keep her on plane.

These boats were really not designed for speed...
    Bob Page likes this.
  6. hat4349

hat4349 Senior Member

When it comes to speed I remember something a saiboat friend of mine told me one time "As long as I can get a change of scenery in a day I am happy", you don't need to burn 30 or 40 GPH to do that. My naturals will get me there fine at 9.9 to 10 knots for 10GPH and we enjoy that. Like you we do cruises every so often but love to go out and just anchor. We swim, I'll throw a line of the bow to "try and catch some fish" and just enjoy life.
    Bob Page likes this.