Click for Nordhavn Click for Abeking Click for Northern Lights Click for Perko Click for YF Listing Service

Halifax Harbor

Discussion in 'Marinas & Waypoints' started by Kevin, Jul 24, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

This past weekend the tall-ship festival was in Halifax and I managed to snap a few pics of the classic vessels, but now that everyone has sailed out a few yachts have come back in. I was down by the waterfront this evening, and though it was too dark to take photos I did see Nashira II, Lady B, and at least one other sailing yacht.

I'll get a few pics posted later this week when I'm home on a computer instead of my iPad.
  2. AlfredZ

AlfredZ Senior Member

Just a reminder of how thirsty and anticipating we are for those pics! No rush, just don't forget yer pal's down here! ;)

Thanks for your efforts.

Cheers,
    Alf
  3. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Back in Halifax again... I'll be down by the waterfront over the weekend and hopefully get some pics. On Marine Traffic I see at least three yachts down there...
  4. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Finally had a little time to go through my memory card and see how my pics turned out...

Feadship's 42.35 meter A2:
    A2_640_1.jpg A2_640_2.jpg A2_640_3.jpg
  5. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Delta's 37.1 meter Time For Us (along with a smaller Delta trawler whose name I didn't get):

TimeForUs_640_1.jpg TimeForUs_640_2.jpg UnknownDelta_640_1.jpg
  6. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Hakvoort's 40 meter Solaia: (didn't manage to get any better angles of her) Solaia_640_1.jpg
  7. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

And finally, a couple of days later when we were in Lunenburg I saw the 56.40 meter Sirona III (ex: Sycara III) by Oceanfast, designed by Jon Bannenberg. Unfortunately it was a very foggy day, and I was about half a kilometer away... so this was the best photo I could get.
    SironaIII_640_1.jpg
  8. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

I'm here again, visiting family...

It looks like Sycara V arrived this afternoon, so hopefully I'll get down to the harbour to snap some pics.
  9. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

5 years ago you found #3, now you find #5. I didn't think you visit your family enough. :D:D
    Let's get your family on this thread for "the rest of the story"...
    Luv ya, keep up your hard work on these Y F Pages .
    Thx, RC
  10. Rodger

Rodger Senior Member

Kevin good pictures I will be in Halifax end of July.
    All the Tall Ships will e in Toronto this week end and will depart Toronto Saturday night head to Welland Canal for slow transit to Buffalo for the fourth of July.
    Sunday will be a busy day in canal with 12 tall ships
  11. JWY

JWY Senior Member

Could one of you please take a pic of an old friend of mine Theodore Tugboat? Theodore is the Halifax Harbour mascot and has a great history which I'll post at another time. Enjoy Murphy's On The Water (a "relative" of Theodore's). And be sure to get some fresh dried mackerel from the local fisherman - the best delicacy ever. Enjoy!

Judy
  12. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

I see Theodore every summer we visit. :D My son and mum did the tour on him about 15 years ago... I've got a great photo of that at home. He's definitely a staple on the waterfront.
  13. JWY

JWY Senior Member

Great, Kevin! And now for the rest of the story...

Theodore Tugboat was a children's TV show that was filled with touchy-feely stories about inter-personal relationshsips, treating each other with respect, etc. - all under the personifications of various types of ships coming into the harbor. The Harbormaster was a real person and was the narrator. The Harbormaster was Denny Doherty, founder of the Mamas and The Papas rock group. A great show for kids and I have seen every show, and embarassingly, loved each one. Great info on Wikipedia.

Theodore Too was the full size replica built in Nova Scotia. The naval architect was Marius Lengkeek of Lengkeek Vessel Engineering in Halifax and who was also the NA for the Cape Horn 65s built in Meteghan River, NS (are the dots connecting?). After the TV show ended production, Theodore Too was bought by Murphy's on the Water, a restaurant and tourist shop. Theodore Too became the Halifax Harbor mascot and would do things like lead the Tall Ships into port and also make "good will" tours. Did anyone see her on the New River several years ago? She made the news. Peter Murphy, of Murphy's on the Water, which the family sold a few years ago, is one of my all-time favorite captains and has done freelance captain deliveries for me for many years.

Happy stories, happy boat. I'm sure someone will post a picture (I have one of me at the helm somewhere but would be hard to find) and you will see what I mean. Can you imagine, a boat that only brings smiles 100% of the time!

Judy
    :)
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
  14. f3504x4ps

f3504x4ps Member

Judy, Very nice story. I'll have to do some looking on the net. Thanks for sharing. Love it.
    Rich
  15. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

Ugh! My son is crazy about Theodore Tugboat.
    We were there two summers ago by car on a road trip from Philly.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2019
  16. JWY

JWY Senior Member

Great! See what I mean? Now, how can you not smile?!
  17. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

Emily, Foduck, George, Hank...He's a friendly tug boat to! Lol:rolleyes:
  18. Rodger

Rodger Senior Member

My daughter was in Halifax last weekend and took this picture.
    I will look her up when I go there end of July.
    I saw her when she Capture.PNG came through the Welland Canal years ago.
  19. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

Is he a working tug ?
  20. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

I wondered the same. He shows up on Marine Traffic as a "tug".

Got some pics today, but the weather was less than favorable so the pics (of both Theodore and Sycara V) turned out rather dreary.