Click for YF Listing Service Click for Walker Click for Mag Bay Click for Mulder Click for Abeking

Haitian Drug Bust

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by BMS, Jan 30, 2010.

1. N6ERH

N6ERH New Member

Very well put. It should also be noted that the lazy are also well represented in the wealthy classes...
  2. BMS

BMS Senior Member

Funny you say that. I have been to different parts of Haiti and with the pictures I have seen and the stories I have been hearing it sound about the same as it was back then. I have been attached to CG vessel interdicting 1,000s migrants from cuba and haiti. With that said it makes me very thankful to be American. These people risk their lives and their families to come and get a piece of what we have. In the flip side I have intercepted a lot of criminals in these groups. Smugglers, Drug runners, cut throats etc. and i have had my fair share of voodoo curses put on me (maybe thats why i just work on yachts and don't own one:) )so you get your good and bad as you do anywhere. I just wanted to start this thread to remind everyone that all of the people in haiti are not good christians wanting a better life many are ruthless criminals so just be careful down that way. No different I guess than parts of Miami, Atlanta, or NY.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

None of this condone's illegal behavior. Illegally entering another country is still committing a crime. Did you watch the video's in Haiti and did you see how many new cars were sitting there crushed in the rubble. Yes there are much less opportunities. But, I have been to many poor countries, and most of the people are only interested in working hard enough to make enough money to buy a little food and drink like a fish. Do you know how many people I've asked to wash a boat and was willing to pay them well, and they turned it down. All over Central America and the Carribean. I've lived in 3rd world countries and watched it with my own eyes. Yeah, if you work hard you're not going to be able to afford a Ford Expedition with 26" rims or even a car. But you can live and feed your family in these 3rd world countries by working......That is if you don't make 6-8 kids like most of these people do.

As for west of Las Olas, doing drugs is a choice and the crack doesn't make them unemployable felons, they chose to smoke crack.
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Those circumstances are created to supply society with a cheap labor force. Speaking only for the US, back in the 60's we encouraged the poor to have babies and let the government pay your way. Welfare, food stamps, medicaid; all together a person couldn't afford to work. We did that for 2, sometimes 3 generations. We created neighborhoods where the only way to make a real money was to sell drugs because there were no jobs there and no real education, which creates felons (an inexhaustible supply of cheap labor).
    Absolutely, but that doesn't mean there can't be compassion.
  5. Henning

Henning Senior Member

You are kidding yourself. The Haitian drug operation is no different in violence than any other. I'd invite you down and give you a tour of Little Haiti and out on Sistrunk you could get a more accurate assesment, but I gotta fly back to Aus Wed. These guys muling to fead their families are also helping to fund criminal factions within Haiti that are behind the violence there. The drug mule is as big a part of the problem as the drug lord and the drug user as well as the state that creates a criminal enterprise opportunity.
  6. Henning

Henning Senior Member

Not much, although when State/CG released those notices, we got hazard pay for going there.
  7. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

Totally agree with you and Henning.
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Seems to me that it wouldn't be hard to figure out who the drug lords are and eliminate them, especially in a place like Haiti. Could it be that governments consider the "war on drugs" a profit making scheme that people really don't want to stop? Cops make salaries and get fancy para-military equipment that a whole industry has sprung up to supply, legislators get to make speeches, business men get to build and supply prisons at $80,000 a year per prisoner, etc. Lose the drug trade and the economy would stop. So I'll keep my compassion for the mule, the guy on the corner trying to make $100 a day risking his life and freedom, the addict who we could put through rehab 5 times for the price of just one year in jail. Real news would be when they arrest a drug lord, but there's no profit in that so I won't hold my breath. BTW, we want the poor to have 6 kids. That's our inexhaustible cheap labor pool of the future.
  9. Henning

Henning Senior Member

I agree that the "war on drugs" (lost decades ago) is only maintained because it is a way for agencies to keep income which is unregulated by Congress, and that the American taxpayer would be better off having everything legalized, taxed and sold at liquor stores. It would be better for everyone involved and would also do a lot to rid us of our own gang violence problems. It's impossible to get the Haitian "druglords" since they either are, or are more powerful than, the Haitian government.
  10. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Got it. It's OK to sell drugs by the ton but not by the (whatever a small quantity is called). :rolleyes: On the up side the runner will get free room and board for awhile and the daily pay rate (plus medical) in federal prison is probably more than he would make in Haiti.
  11. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Sure, why don't you run a load of a few tons up and let us know how you make out. I think they have internet in Federal prisons these days
  12. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

You missed the point. You get the poor guy to run the load while you sit back and count the cash.:rolleyes:
  13. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The drug lords have just as much to worry about as the smaller guys. Rival's trying to take them out, people trying to kill them for the cash, DEA, etc. etc. etc.......Just look at Mexico right now.....
  14. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Just playing Cap. Been around the block a few times. Since the days when bales were floating ashore in your neck of the woods. ;)