Click for Nordhavn Click for Mulder Click for Burger Click for Nordhavn Click for Delta

gyro-gale pneumatic stabilizers

Discussion in 'Stabs, Tabs & Gyros' started by bigbillys, Apr 5, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. bigbillys

bigbillys New Member

Anybody have experience with this system?
  2. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Based on the BS published in their manuals I would run quickly away. The gale probably refers to the rate of leakage you can expect.

"The I.C.C. recently outlawed the use of hydraulic brake systems because they are not sufficiently reliable for use on large semi-trailers."

How about trucks, like trains, have used pneumatic brakes forever because the air holds the brakes OFF. If the train breaks apart or the trailer disconnects going down the road, or the air compressor fails, the brakes will automatically apply and stop the vehicle. It also prevents the vehicle from moving if there is no braking capability.

"The most recent specifications for planes, however, prudently have eliminated the use of the hydraulic system altogether and have called exclusively for a pneumatic landing system."

Did they write that one in 1941 or are they talking about radio controlled model airplanes? Airbus and Boeing must be nervous that they have decided to use all that newfangled electric stuff ...

Why would they publish stuff like that to sell an expensive and complex system? Do they think their customer base is that stupid?

Hydraulic stablilzers are noisy enough, I don't want to think about low pressure pneumatics hissing and wheezing throughout the boat. The latest direction in aircraft systems is very high pressure hydraulics to save weight and provide higher power and actuator speed. Aircraft manufacturers have moved beyond the Spitfire and the DH Dove.
  3. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

While I don't disagree that their marketing is a tad disingenuous, I have run two Lazzaras that had them. And I never had any problems with noise or air leaks. And they did stabilize the boats well. The fins are smaller than you find on a hydraulic system and you use 4 of their smaller fins instead of the 2 you'd find on a hydraulic setup.

But I and others had problems with fin shaft failures. Either they would bend for no apparent reason or in extreme cases break away.

Lazzara used them for a while in all their boats. But went to hydraulic years ago as I recall.
  4. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

Dr. Maged Metwally is the inventor and runs the company (at least he did 7-8 years ago when he gave me some info on a Defever with his system) up in Stuart, FL.