Click for Perko Click for Westport Click for Burger Click for Abeking Click for Westport

Gulf of Mexico oil spill

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Gulfcoasters, May 3, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Looks to me like you could use a good buffering.
  2. Savasa

Savasa Senior Member

Hahahahaha....Thanks, I needed that....I'll remain neutral, for the time being.
    Peter
  3. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

What? No reaction at all?
  4. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Because it is SO far "out of hand" cleaning it up is not simply just a matter of deciding to play nicely together and get to work. The scale of this is more than most of us can comprehend.

I spent a great deal of time in the heart of the IXTOC blowout and in the Persian Gulf when it was covered with crude and the sky was so dark with oil smoke you could see sunspots with the naked eye. It is my belief that this too shall pass but since it is in our backyard politically as well as geographically we will make a great deal of noise and smoke and create a permanent industry based on maintaining a disaster condition.
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

A great time to be a southern lawyer. Class Action is such a musical term. Hark! Do I hear lobyists wispering the words 'Tort Reform'? Yeah, this will be dragging on for a very long time.:rolleyes:
  6. 84far

84far Senior Member

I just heard a remote submarine hit a pipe (im guessing a few 100feet down), and now there's more oil rushing out...? Does anyone have any further/better information about this...? Cheers

Far
  7. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

The current video feeds show the cap back in place and leaking maybe less than usual at 2100 local time
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

9. 84far

84far Senior Member

Thanks Marmot, and CAP. I've been looking at this thread from the shadows, and then I heard the latest about the remote sub... Well, we won't have to drill for it anymore, just suck it up off the ocean :eek:

Far
  10. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Has everyone got their claim forms for compensation filled out and returned yet?

From the torrent of these things coming to my yahoo inbox it would appear that every man, woman, child , ant, worm and jellyfish has already had "pre approval" and should expect to receive their settlement in days after sending in the form.

If some people really do believe they are in for something for nothing and submit spurious claims it will slow down and hinder the process for those who have and are genuinely suffering as a result of this accident.
  11. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Unfortunately, there will always be scammers. Mean time there seems to be a lot of scuttlebutt about Hayward grabbing his golden paraschute. IMHO long overdue.
  12. coastaldrifter

coastaldrifter New Member

This is a devastating situation for sure read what the real Oil Experts are saying.One thing that we can all bet on is neither The Gov or BP are telling us the truth. http://www.theoildrum.com/node/6593/648967
  13. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

14. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

BP just announced that the leak is stopped. A month ahead of when they thought it would be. Of course the real fix will be the relief wells. Hopefully the cap holds til then.
  15. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

16. ScotL

ScotL Senior Member

After they already forced BP to pay $20 billion in "fines"? Talk ab out double dipping. Or maybe they are just looking to take over BP like they did with the auto and insurance businesses.
  17. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

If BP doesn't pay for it you and I do.
  18. ScotL

ScotL Senior Member

You missed the point Cap. What was the original $20 billion for? If not fines, then what? Extortion as some have called it? It certainly wasn't hush money.

You can't be tried twice for the same crime, why should they pay twice for the same issue?
  19. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Of course you can. Just ask OJ. Besides, the 20B was a compensation fund set up for those who lost their income or were otherwise damaged. It was set up to mitigate damages not as a final settlement, and didn't compensate the government for their expenses. That's our tax dollars. A lot of them.
  20. wildkactus

wildkactus New Member

We will still pay for it in the end, the insurance company's will cover the fines and judgments then that will filter down to your's and my premiums.

That is if there is insurance and assets to get at, BP and the other companies will either have insurance coverage for this type of incident or they will be shelf companies with no assets to cover the fines etc. There will be a lot of layers to go through before you get to BP plc.

Anyway its and interestig play by the government, one worth watching.