Click for Burger Click for YF Listing Service Click for MotorCheck Click for Nordhavn Click for Nordhavn

Griffin vs. Racor

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Jimbo1959, Jun 13, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

While this is all great information, what on earth does it have to do with Griffon or Racor fuel filters?
  2. Yachtjocky

Yachtjocky Senior Member

filters

Now you of all people are questioning what us engineers are writing, what does it have to do with you ? :mad:

...and the thread is titled Griffin not Griffon.

Now go and change some pistons while underway.
  3. Jimbo1959

Jimbo1959 Member

I'm going to try

Well after all this I've decided to try them and see how they work. To me it's like buying a Detroit Diesel blower rebuild kit. But after you open it you can buy all the same parts, bearings, seals, etc from someone else. The only 2 differences, the box and the price. Same quality. Someone has to give it a chance.
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

For a Racor 1000 size for $149, I can hardly believe that they're the same quality as a Racor, but goodluck with them.
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Not hardly, you guys hijacked someone else's thread and wrote a page of responses that have absolutely nothing to do with what the OP was asking, writing about, or what the thread was about. Why not just start a new thread on Centrifuges or fuel polishers instead of taking over the man's Griffin verse Racor fuel filter thread. It's like going to a restaurant and ordering a Mahi Mahi sandwich and they insist on bringing you a burger......
  6. Yachtjocky

Yachtjocky Senior Member

hi jack

why do you not stand in a group of engineers or your peers and you will note that all things are discussed and anyway sustaining beef is much easier than sustaining Mahi so why eat fish ?. :cool:
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Yes that does happen when you're sitting around the good old marina table and shooting the @@@@. But, when an owner comes up to you and asks you a specific question of whether or not a griffin filter is as good as a racor, you don't start telling him about fuel centrifuges..........Sometimes you just feel like fish........Besides cows contribute more methane emissions that effect greenhouse gases than any other source in the world.......
  8. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

they appear identitical almost to the point that they seem to be a copy.
  9. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

It is about sharing knowledge and experience.

The principle that a Racor/Griffin Turbine filter works on is not all that different to how a centrifuge works.

Fuel gets turned at speed and the heavier particles should get pushed to the outside and be separated from the fuel flow.

The yacht I am on at the moment has burned 920,000lts (243,000 US Gal) of Fuel in the last 6 months, a fuel filter has never had to be changed because of being blocked.

Centrifuges work well and are an essential part of good fuel husbandry as are Turbine Filters where there is the space and power to run them.

On smaller yachts where there is no space and you are always buying auto diesel the turbine filter is obviously your first line of defence.

The fact that someone other than Parker Hannifin makes them should not be held against them with no evidence that they are in fact an inferior product.

If you have shares in (NYSE: PH) watch this space.

Jimbo1959 - I would be interested to know what you think when you get one. I am particularly interested in the construction of the Filters and how well the paper pleats are stuck into the end caps.
  10. travler

travler Senior Member

i agree with the above thread please let us no how the look and work somth sailing travler