Click for Burger Click for Mulder Click for JetForums Click for Northern Lights Click for Perko

Great Loop Cruise Video

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by NYCAP123, Aug 1, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. ScotL

ScotL Senior Member

Someone caught a photo of Valhalla in Philly back in August.

Valhalla
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Every menu on the Chesapeake is crab this and crab that. I just want a good hamberger or steak. Color me board with seafood. Give me meat and potatoes, and at a decent price. The only place I've found with a decent NY strip was in Baltimore, and that was $49. I like Tidewater and its people, but their restaurant has changed. The bar is too loud (impossible to hold a conversation) and the fancier part of the restaurant isn't fancy at all anymore.
  3. discokachina

discokachina Senior Member

In the Porthsmouth Norfolk downtown area Byrd & Baldwin Bros. Steakhouse - Norfolk, Va is the place for steak. Their NY Strip is $38 and the rest of the menu is a la carte so by the time you are done you will have spent some money. However the atmosphere is wonderful for a delicious relaxing dining experience.

They are an easy walk from the ferry terminal.
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

The Pleasure of cruising gentleman style

Well, the weather turned on us when we got to Norfolk. Rain and winds up to 38 mph. Normally, when doing transports, we'd push right on but this is a pleasure cruise. So we spent one day doing maintenance, and today we played tourist. Tonight's forecast for the rest of the week is pretty much the same. So it's homeward bound. We'll be back in about a week to continue. After 25 years of pushing this feels a little strange. Fun.:)
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I missed your post yesterday. Nice picture. Thanks. Unless they worked at the marina or were the one boat I saw come in for fuel they did a bit of walking. That dock is a long way out from land. If that's a friend of yours tell them thanks. They take good pictures. The subject matter helps though. :D These old Hatteras are good looking boats.
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

After a week's lay up in Norfolk due to weather, we'll be casting off lines a little after 0800 this morning and heading down to Coinjock. I think many will find this the most interesting part of the journey to watch as we go down the ICW. Watch for nature. We'll be cruising along the eastern border of the Great Dismal Swamp. In past trips I've had bald eagles flying over head and deer swiming across to canal ahead of me, and of course dolphin. Anything else is possible to spot along the banks from bear to fox to Navy ships and who knows what. Enjoy.
  7. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Hope you don't encounter too much duckweed. I assume you're taking the Virginia Cut and not the swamp route so will avoid it?

This will be very interesting to follow and thanks so much for sharing your journey with us.
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Virginia cut will be it. Only thing in our way here are sailboats.
  9. olderboater

Yes, I didn't expect the early morning traffic jam you just encountered.
  10. discokachina

discokachina Senior Member

Looks like you are about to arrive at the Great Bridge Lock!

During the winter when I was a kid my next door neighbor kept his sailboat at the Atlantic Yacht Basin which will be on your right after you exit the lock.

AYB is a great marina if you ever need help along that part of the ICW.
  11. olderboater

The only time we've been through this area so far we went outside both going north and returning south, so this is giving us a new experience. We went out at Beaufort and then docked in Hampton. Will have to take the cut sometime, but enjoying the experience today.

Looks like you're part of a parade.
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  12. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

There were a couple of beauties at AYB. That's always the sign of a good yard.

We met the pack at Gilmerton. Great Bridge was like the Long Island Expressway at rush hour. Next we have Centerville, then North Landing. After that it's like someone let's the horse lose to run.:D

I've only done the outside here one time...In a gale. That cured me of any desire to go around Hatteras on the outside, plus it doesn't really save any time unless you've got a very fast boat. Just not worth the risk IMHO.
  13. olderboater

Going north we lucked into almost unheard of conditions. It was almost like being on a lake, just a chop most of the way. So we made it from Beaufort to Hampton Pier in just over 8 hours. Coming south wasn't as nice. although still not too bad, mostly around 3' but an hour or two up to 5 or 6', so we took it slower and took about 12 hours.
  14. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

The one time I did Hatteras seas were about 15', and we heard calls for 5 boats that were missing. Fortunately though we were running with the seas. We passed a CG cutter heading the other way and were feeling real sorry for those guys.

There's also no place to go if you realize that you shouldn't be there. They don't call it the graveyard of the North Atlantic for nothing. Beaufort to Norfolk is about 12 hours on the inside (200 sm), so i find it hardly worth the risk unless the boat is just too big for the ICW (and I've seen 160'ers in here). It's cool to be able to say you've done Hatteras though, but once gets you those bragging rights.;) I feel kind of the same way about Oregon Inlet. Just don't see the reason for doing it. Besides, you miss the steaks at Coinjock.:D
  15. olderboater

Next time we'll go inside probably. Then may depend on conditions and which boat. I think you sold me though with the Steaks at Coinjock. Of course, you're not a seafood lover. I've heard their Prime Rib is quite good too.
  16. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Just finished a really good NY Strip, but the Prime Rib is their signature meal. That and packing boats in as tight as possible although tonight they gave me a ton of space (2').:D

IMG_4070.JPG
  17. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Ed, as an old mate of yours over the last few years and following your travels, I can't get any vids.
    Am I being a complete Duffus???
  18. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Sorry Dave, It may be the time difference. We're live from 0800 to 1900 EST. Just in case though I'll PM you my web site. The links for the bow cam & AIS tracking are on each of the Great Loop pages. You'll also be able to catch up through the pics and writings.
  19. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

20. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Belhaven

Back in 1991 we stopped in Belhaven on my 2nd transport. There's a big old manor house that was run by a couple of grandmothers. They served dinner family style and it was just oh so good. For about the next 20 years I kept trying to find this place, but couldn't until about 3 years ago.
    The kids had the place then. I ordered a Coke before dinner. 45 minutes later, the Coke hadn't arrived so I just went back to the boat with no dinner.

Tonight we stopped back. The manor house is now completely closed. My wife, who was watching on the bow cam texted me as we docked "The dock looks like a wreck". We asked about a place to get dinner and were told "This is the bible belt, and it's Sunday". They'd lend us a car. '5 miles away there's a Chinese take out, a burger joint that's over-priced and not worth it, and a Hardee's'

My boss always stays on shore, and he found a very nice little B & B just down the road. The town is cute with some nice old southern homes on Water St., and the people here are very nice. This however is no longer a destination worth choosing. Real shame. Absolutely a beautiful location.

Tomorrow we head for New Bern.